Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I think this may be the first Kickstarter I've been involved in where it looks like we're not going to get through most of the planned Stretch Goals: we'll probably get the second part of the supplement, but at this point the Ka, Ren, and Sheut parts haven't even been posted.
    Minor update: The Ba threshold was passed at the 12-hours-remaining mark and Ka (add a section covering ghosts and spirits) is now on the list at 68K.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Looks like they're sticking to 3K per stretch goal. Here's hoping we get enough of a last-minute burst to get there.

On the upside, we already have access to material about ghosts and spirits in the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook; so it won't be a huge loss if we don't get there. On the downside, we may never know what they had planned for Ren and Sheut.

Comment

• I actually do wish the Trials had a mechanical resolution (something like, "roll relevant pillar, +1 if its in line with your balance, -1 if in line with your burden") come to think of it, due to that it may very well eat up a whole session, doesn't seem to give beats (can't tell) and the PC is unlikely to even be able to remember it and doesn't happen in objective time.

Comment

• Perhaps as an optional rule for those gaming groups that don't have the time or inclination to roleplay it. For what it's worth, this strikes me as being analogous to the Quick and Dirty Combat rules, at least in intent: you have this challenge that you need to resolve; but playing it out will bog down the flow of the game more than you're willing to accept, the players aren't interested in playing through it, or they're just bored of it. So here's a quick way to resolve the challenge and get on with the things you want to get on with.

Comment

• The issue with 'quick and dirty' Duat rules, is Duat is already the most optional part of the game, seeing as the general assumption is that the Arisen have no memory of it, ever, barring those exceptionial Deathless who are already in an endgame (Ankh or Apotheosis). Non-liner time is more baked in than playing in Duat.
            Furthermore, Dust is handled narratively, because it is not a matter of chance; it is the Descended's choices that are being Judged, not their luck. It might be better to just assume the character gets no punishment or blessing conditions for Duat, if people don't want to play through the Trials and the Judgement. Which could be done as one scene per trial, so it is possible for a solo session.

Huh...going through Duat as the Arisen's player's Prelude would be interesting, especially if we don't discuss the preceding Descent beforehand. Not every time though. Maybe just once per campaign/chronicle.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• I have to say, the whole 'fluid time' concept is still something I'm massively disappointed with, to the point where I straight up do not think I'm interested in ever playing a Mummy game where that is the going assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBreaksIt View Post
                I have to say, the whole 'fluid time' concept is still something I'm massively disappointed with, to the point where I straight up do not think I'm interested in ever playing a Mummy game where that is the going assumption.
                I'm pretty sure nothing really breaks if you require all your descents to be in order. After all, that is a perfectly possible way for time to progress for your Mummy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post

I'm pretty sure nothing really breaks if you require all your descents to be in order. After all, that is a perfectly possible way for time to progress for your Mummy.
                  Exactly. The Timeless aspect can be dialed up or down as much as someone likes.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                  Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                  Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deinos View Post
                    I actually do wish the Trials had a mechanical resolution (something like, "roll relevant pillar, +1 if its in line with your balance, -1 if in line with your burden&quot come to think of it, due to that it may very well eat up a whole session, doesn't seem to give beats (can't tell) and the PC is unlikely to even be able to remember it and doesn't happen in objective time.
                    Nothing stops you from fading to black for the Trials. Interestingly enough, though, the mechanics you suggest are almost exactly how I would handle the Trials if I didn’t want to run them but still wanted the resulting benefits and penalties.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                    Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• (Pro tip: You know how these boards replace quotation marks with “"” when you quote someone? If you edit your post and save it without making any changes, it replaces the “"”s with quotation marks. This also has the effect of getting rid of the emoji that crops up from quoting something with “")” and fixing links that get broken in a quote. It would be nice if the board did it without intervention; but since it doesn't…)

Comment

• Hey, everyone! We're getting Mummy 2e!!!

Comment

• Honestly, between both Aberrant and Mummy the Curse I really don't think I could do any more kickstarters this year.

----

Humor aside I was rereading those story seeds at the end of the book and I honestly love them and what they represent. They are such a great series of potential adventure plots for a set of mummy characters. I could see a campaign with some of those descents within them creating an arc. So yeah, its quite fun.

Especially as the group could also be full of Reborn, which gives them certain special traits that make things at the same time both mortal and not.

Comment

• So I was thinking of allowing the Arisen to have something like a Sanctum Merit which would work like a residence merit but would give them a place in either Twilight or Duat. Yes, I know, this wouldn't work for every campaign, but I like the idea of the Arisen having a sort of forever residence somewhere in the City of Duat. Dots in the merit would probably give certain bonuses to Memory or Sekhem or ritual casting.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                              So I was thinking of allowing the Arisen to have something like a Sanctum Merit which would work like a residence merit but would give them a place in either Twilight or Duat. Yes, I know, this wouldn't work for every campaign, but I like the idea of the Arisen having a sort of forever residence somewhere in the City of Duat. Dots in the merit would probably give certain bonuses to Memory or Sekhem or ritual casting.
                              Having something like that in Neter-Khertet sounds cool and plays a little with how it's more of a place for mummies rather than a state of being. Only problem being that the mummy either needs to die or stash their body someplace safe (like their Tomb), or gain a power that lets them bodily enter Neter-Khertet.

For Duat, well, you'll have to rewrite the setting if it's going to have any effect in the game. Entering Duat means you've ended your Descent, and nothing you do affects the living world except through what you bring with you on your next Descent.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Having something like that in Neter-Khertet sounds cool and plays a little with how it's more of a place for mummies rather than a state of being. Only problem being that the mummy either needs to die or stash their body someplace safe (like their Tomb), or gain a power that lets them bodily enter Neter-Khertet.

For Duat, well, you'll have to rewrite the setting if it's going to have any effect in the game. Entering Duat means you've ended your Descent, and nothing you do affects the living world except through what you bring with you on your next Descent.
                                Can I haz a base in both? hehe

Your right on the interesting benefits of having a place in Neter-Khertet, which is Twilight right. I think having the ability to have a base of operations that is outside the wear and tear and worry about the mortal world could be useful. I could see an Affinity or an Utterance (if you want it to be difficult) for a mummy or even a sort of mortal Rite for an immortal or sorcerer that could be used.

I do think something like this only really works for campaigns where the ST sort of protects the tombs and spiritual sites owned by the characters. Otherwise it might not be entirely useful or even necessary.

On Duat, well there is a city and it does mention resting and stuff there till it becomes time for the next Descent. The place is entirely spiritual so I would figure that anything there would be manifested thought, emotion, or magic. If you want to decorate an apartment with say a picture that picture could represent a Memory. Accessing the apartment to me would mean something like coming out victorius in the Trials and not drinking from the cup of memory. Which is also why I was thinking that the benefits of having such a spiritual place would be represented in a bonus to Memory or Sekhem rolls, or maybe even having access to certain rites that could be found and used. Nothing physical, you wont be able to get a Relic from your Duat apartment, but rather it would be able to reinforce memory and such.

I do know this isn't for everyone, but the moment I read you finish the trials and find yourself in a city I was like "can I have an apartment plx" which is why I brought it up here. hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X