Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
    Those I found, but I didn't find Endless Potency or that Long of Years one etc. I did find the favored attributes finally though. (Edit: found Endless Potency, and am hoping Sekhem replaced Long of Years or whatever it was called).
    Gift of Years no longer exists (though I've submitted an erratum for the leftover references in statblocks floating around); it's not a prerequisite for Endless Potency or Supernatural Resistance, and Endless don't need it to buy other Supernatural Merits, either. There's not really much left for it to do at this point aside from be a pool of more-limited versions of existing Merits at the same price.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Gift of Years no longer exists (though I've submitted an erratum for the leftover references in statblocks floating around); it's not a prerequisite for Endless Potency or Supernatural Resistance, and Endless don't need it to buy other Supernatural Merits, either. There's not really much left for it to do at this point aside from be a pool of more-limited versions of existing Merits at the same price.
      Thank you, I was reeeally hoping that was the case, especially since I found the other stuff tucked away where I wasn't looking. Without it, immortals feel a lot more open. I think I am understanding it now.

Sometimes the changes between the previews and open development vs final PDF can be huge, as we all well know. But I must say this is by far my favorite. Sometimes I think I've missed something (like is it just me, or is there nowhere except one line that says that a Mummy is in corpse form until Sekhem 8?). Sometimes it's a deliberate shift that I infact didn't miss.

But seriously you guys, this edition has made my eternity. I always thought Utterances didn't fit Ra's Al Ghul, but now he isn't JUST immortal, he can bend time to become super badass. Now Captain Marvel's family don't just say Shazam in a panic, now they are Invested cultists with definitely noticeable buffs from him on a lot of fronts. Much like how I felt changeling and Geist found a broad but recognizable theme in 2e, both giving more options while also defining the theme better, so too did mummy. Kudos.

Just to clarify though XD do mummies stay in rot face till Sekhem 8, or are they just more likely to be spending pillars most of the time to trigger rotface? XD

Comment

• Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
        On an unrelated note, I have only one word for the Affinities and utterances--WOW. I absolutely love this. Some fatbwas trimmed by combining or removing certain powers, some powers seem vastly more useful, and some are powers that are new and make absolute sense for a Mummy to have. Some I didn't even know I wanted until I saw them. I am a little sad that the Word of Amanuensis didn't make it through because I have had a major antagonist rely heavily on the madness and terror it creates with it's ultimate ability, but was that meant to be absorbed by Pavane of Eternity (if so, it's considerably more scary now)? Since it's basic tier is covered by an affinity, I'm guessing it's not returning?
        Yeah, Word of Amanuensis didn't make the cut in the end, but some Utterances had elements of what they do repurposed into Affinities (as with the one that let you call animals).

Speaking of Utterances that didn't return, I noticed a distinct lack of the strange lovecraftian summoning powers this time around. Are those being reserved for another book, or were they removed to make Fiend summoning and the manifestation of Judges more unique?
        I was extremely keen to get summoning Utterances in, but the problem with them is that they eat a lot of additional word count for the stat blocks, so there wasn't room to cram them into the core beyond Awaken the Dead and Words of Dead Dominion. However, I did manage to get a couple of new Utterances that include weird summoning powers into the Book of Lasting Death.

I'm also putting together some minor summoning rules that'll hopefully end up on the Storyteller's Vault some time - stuff that's more in the province of what your sorcerers can conjure up, filling out the lower tier of weird antagonists and servants.

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• I haven't got to them yet but just seeing the number of Utterances made me happy. So good see the KS feedback paid off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            I'm looking forward to the Storyteller's Vault opening up for Mummy. In particular, I'm hoping for a supplement that provides a 2e update for the Patchwork People, the Purified, and the Visitors (the “other Immortals”) in the context of Mummy.
            I've seen non-zero numbers of those in BoLD...but the Gentleman Gamer already hin5ed as much.
            FYI, those write ups make a lot more sense now that I've seen the new rulebook.
            Heck, some of the Utterances make more sense.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

Yeah, Word of Amanuensis didn't make the cut in the end, but some Utterances had elements of what they do repurposed into Affinities (as with the one that let you call animals).

I was extremely keen to get summoning Utterances in, but the problem with them is that they eat a lot of additional word count for the stat blocks, so there wasn't room to cram them into the core beyond Awaken the Dead and Words of Dead Dominion. However, I did manage to get a couple of new Utterances that include weird summoning powers into the Book of Lasting Death.

I'm also putting together some minor summoning rules that'll hopefully end up on the Storyteller's Vault some time - stuff that's more in the province of what your sorcerers can conjure up, filling out the lower tier of weird antagonists and servants.
              Awesome, so if my antagonist's main schtick was walking into a place and speaking unwords that drove everyone insane by being unable to communicate with each other, should I go with Pavane of Eternity and have him spout unpoetry and unspeeches that now not only drive people mad but also go viral?

Edit:. I'm totally not mad that the lovecraftian horror summons are being saved for better word count and/or storytellers vault. I lived the idea of it but can see how much of a headache it could be (ps words of dead Dominion turned out perfect!) I remember that Su-menent utterance to summon/become the black pharaoh guy,and the write-up acted like it was a common enough utterance that you might have several mummies on hand that knee it and used it together. That didn't make sense at all. I hope to see it return, like Gilded Doom and other formerly guild specific Utterances.
              Last edited by Cleverest of Things; 02-19-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• So I was wondering if the formatting on page 258 is accurate. What I mean is that Integrity is a sub-category under Sekhem and you have the note about Supernatural Merits being under Investment. Same with the Experience note, which might fit better under Immortality.

Personally, I would think that Virtues would be its own category and the note about merits would be under something like Supernatural Power or Merit or something, since its not really based on investment.

I am asking here because I am not sure if its worth a comment to the program as it might in fact be what you guys want.

---

As I said I really like the way you formatted the various sections of this book. Its sooooooooo much easier to read and follow with the rules and such. So yeah, thumbs up on that.

Also, like I said earlier but I kind of what to repeat again and again, while Mummies themselves are great I totally love, love love love, the Endless template. Sooooo much potential there - especially when it comes to the Reborn (my favorite of the ones in the book) and the Purified (my favorite when it comes to the before version). The ability to gain Sekhem in a growing way, the ability to unlock Pillars (one officially, unofficially more, hehe), the ability to learn Utterances (if you have a pillar you can learn an utterance), and the whole thing about Supernatural Merits is just really brilliant to me. I would throw in some Affinities as I like power, hehe, and basically have a perfect group.

So yeah, love what you guys did with Mummy 2e.

Which, by the way, I should add, also includes the whole non-linear awaking times. I LOVE that.

Comment

• Yeah, I think it was meant to be bolded like 'Sekham' and 'Virtue and Vice'. Time to add it to the errata form! Must report

Comment

• It's extremely gratifying to see so much of the feedback given during the kickstarter campaign being reflected in the final product. In particular, I appreciate the way the powers have been reworked to incorporate more options for integrating the connection to the Tomb and Cult. I also like the changes made to the immortals section to further integrate them into the world of the Arisen. All around, well done.

Comment

• So, upon reading things further, I am not sure about the interaction between invested Pillars, Sekhem, and the Endless Potency merit when it comes to the whole Maximum Physical Attribute Boost ability.

My thought is that the Endless Potency Merit sort of supercedes the general Sekhem rules for attribute boosts, but then that seems to go against the sidebar Sekhem and Immortals on page 257.

Comment

• The Cult Creation section seems oddly placed; it's sandwiched between the Merits and the Pillars. I'd expect it to be either before all of the traits (that is, immediately after the Example of Character Creation and just before the section detailing Balance, p.102) or after all of them (at the end of the chapter). I could see arguments for either; but it seems weird to start talking about Balance and Burden, then go to Merits, then go off onto a Cult Creation tangent before getting into Pillars, Affinity, Utterances, and so on.

Comment

• Cult is a merit, so that might be the logic chain. I'm more confused by the placement of the details on Tombs, given I generally consider them as an interlinked unit.

Comment

• So reading it again, Arem-Abfu. Would it be reasonable to assume that Judge has an issue with Mages trying to Ascend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              So reading it again, Arem-Abfu. Would it be reasonable to assume that Judge has an issue with Mages...
                              Yes
                              Originally posted by Primordial newcomer
                              ...trying to Ascend?
                              Still yes, but that feels like something outside an Arisen's power level. So would suggest trying to eliminate the Mage before archmastery. If only you could go back to before the Archmaster erased themselves from the timeline. Oh, look there is a storyteller chapter in this book...
                              Fun fact about Awakened cosmology, it puts the Supernal outside our reality/universe. Though it does put forth the seperations as unnatural, so maybe they aren't walking violations of the First and Last Judge's respective laws...maybe.
                              The Judges would not be fans of the Exarchs (who did tear reality a new one), though they may considered more 'tolerable' than Abyssal incursions/entities.
                              Plus, the whole 'Duat is a Lower Depth' thing seems like it might not go over well.

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                                Cult is a merit, so that might be the logic chain. I'm more confused by the placement of the details on Tombs, given I generally consider them as an interlinked unit.
                                One of my greatest complaints with this book is that rules for Descent, Investment, Kepher, Sybaris, and Tombs, systems players might want to know about, are not in Chapter 3 with the rest of a mummy's "inherent" template abilities.

Consistently Inconsistent
                                Website
                                She/Her

Comment

Working...
                                X