Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradim View Post

I get that. I remember that line in that section. But what I really appreciate from Chronicles of Darkness books is where they provide multiple examples of what can be done with an idea. I find those incredibly helpful to me as they give me places to either make those ideas my own or help inspire me to make my own ideas. But an open ended statement of "interesting cases" gives me nothing to really work with as to what Anpu might consider "interesting". I guess that could be read as "Whatever the ST and Players find interesting", but that's the situation to begin with, and so what Anpu finds "interesting" is completely meaningless then.

And I don't want to read content in these books and think, "Well, that's completely unhelpful to me."

Maybe it was helpful to someone else, but I can only speak to my own experiences and preferences. And my preference is for an implementation of Anpu that is more useful to me and less, to my eyes, a wall for Arisen to smack into and not being able to do anything about.
    Again, I can’t stress enough that meeting one of the gods is a lord goldmine for the players. If I run into a deity blocking my, I don’t think “wow, the ST is an asshole,” I think “wow what the HELL is going on?”

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Again, I can’t stress enough that meeting one of the gods is a lord goldmine for the players. If I run into a deity blocking my, I don’t think “wow, the ST is an asshole,” I think “wow what the HELL is going on?”

"Meeting one of the gods" isn't what is being talked about, though. It is explicitly not what is being talked about.

And if you're thinking "what the hell is going on?" Well... That's my problem. I, as the ST, don't know either! And the books aren't helping with that as far as I can see.

I'm hoping that Second Edition is a lot more helpful to me than First Edition was. Which... First Edition was very much not helpful to me. However, Second Edition seems to be doing a lot better with completely blowing me away with the first chapter, so I'm pretty hopeful!

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        Yeah, I know- I talked about the Maar Kherit's Shan'iatu, not the Deceived.

Only that the Judges did not created Sutek? He is a child of Atum and Khepera, a sibling to the Judges, according to Dreams of Avarice
        Was on mobile on the way to work so going off memory(and salent part being he was a god created.) Given the lore I would personally hate making him a Judge but that is what toolboxes are for.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post

Was on mobile on the way to work so going off memory(and salent part being he was a god created.) Given the lore I would personally hate making him a Judge but that is what toolboxes are for.
          Well, for what that it worth, Sutek is not a "Judge' in the conventional sense of the word (hence why I mentioned him in the original context). He is their antithesis, representing Will over Law and standing against the Judges, Ammut and Suffering in support for the world. He is the good guy in the story, more or less- the Judge Who Will Not Judge And Won't Be Judged. Arc summed it up really good, IMO

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            Well, for what that it worth, Sutek is not a "Judge' in the conventional sense of the word (hence why I mentioned him in the original context). He is their antithesis, representing Will over Law and standing against the Judges, Ammut and Suffering in support for the world. He is the good guy in the story, more or less- the Judge Who Will Not Judge And Won't Be Judged. Arc summed it up really good, IMO
            I am familiar with him, though with things like the non linear nature of the Arisen, I wonder if we'll see any more interested references to him, or at least possibly him like we did in Sothis Ascends.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

FYI, balance and burden have been previewed on the Kickstarter!
              Last edited by Second Chances; 11-08-2019, 12:04 PM.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Stretch Goal achieved!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Now for that sweet sweet minor Guild action. Do we know yet if that is technically going to include the Deceived or are we saving the artists for something else?

Also I have not delved deep into 2nd edition yet so I feel like I don't necessarily have the direct play experience to comment deeply on what all Burdens and Balances bring to the table compared to Vice and Virtues, but given how fairly limiting Vices and Virtues could be I have to imagine that opens some things up.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
                    Now for that sweet sweet minor Guild action. Do we know yet if that is technically going to include the Deceived or are we saving the artists for something else?

Also I have not delved deep into 2nd edition yet so I feel like I don't necessarily have the direct play experience to comment deeply on what all Burdens and Balances bring to the table compared to Vice and Virtues, but given how fairly limiting Vices and Virtues could be I have to imagine that opens some things up.

Well, Virtues and Vices are themselves opened up now, the list is gone; your Virtue is what you do when behaving selflessly, your Vice is what you're like when you're being dickish or otherwise uncaring.

Balance and Burden...really isn't that much of a switch. Which makes sense, as an Arisen's basic instincts are still the same as the person they were before the Rite of Return. The major change is the cosmic duty the Judges entrusted them with before they went back to the mortal coil. That changes the context of it, even if their own internal rewards system is the same.

Comment

• I must say that I'm not a big fan of the name "Burden"- it immediately sends my mind towards Geist's lexicon. I would have also preferred something which takes more part in Mummy's concepts and cosmology. Like, "Balance" and "Will" could have worked better, IMO, the first pointing towards the Judges and Maat and the second towards Sutek, and also emphasis the concept of duty vs self. A minor detail, I know, but kinda feel like a missed opportunity.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

• So, are any of the backers ready to guess which decrees were written by Second Chances and which were written by me? I think the only hint that’s been given so far is that Second Chances wrote all of the decree unique Affinities.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                        Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                        Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                          So, are any of the backers ready to guess which decrees were written by Second Chances and which were written by me? I think the only hint that’s been given so far is that Second Chances wrote all of the decree unique Affinities.

I've absolutely no idea which of you wrote which Decrees, and I view that as a really good thing. Consistency can be very hard to match between different writers and you both smashed it outta the park with the descriptions. Second Chances did a really good job with the decree unique Affinities.

...Um... I gotta ask though... Is it intended for Arisen to be able to change their Decree?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradim View Post

I've absolutely no idea which of you wrote which Decrees, and I view that as a really good thing. Consistency can be very hard to match between different writers and you both smashed it outta the park with the descriptions. Second Chances did a really good job with the decree unique Affinities.

...Um... I gotta ask though... Is it intended for Arisen to be able to change their Decree?
                            No. If anyone wanted to do that, it would need to be under very unusual circumstances, which is really the domain of a group’s chronicle rather than a standard option.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

No. If anyone wanted to do that, it would need to be under very unusual circumstances, which is really the domain of a group’s chronicle rather than a standard option.

Okay... The sidebar in Chapter Two titled "The Rite of Return when Arisen" gives a very contradicting message to that.

In fact, that sidebar confuses the hell out of me, considering it says that Arisen can "request" a particular Pillar from Judges...?

I don't know what to make of this sidebar... But then a lot of Chapter Two just confuses me...

Edit: To be clear, from my understanding of what I'm reading, it is very explicitly talking about Decrees in this context, since this sidebar is showing under the section of "The Five Pillars" and the first paragraph in this section states: "By then, the mummy knows which of the five Pillars is their decree." So, to me, it reads as explicitly talking about the trials that determine what decree an Arisen is of. So, an Arisen can just ask a Judge to be a Falcon? This really doesn't make sense with the Decree section in Chapter One... These don't match up at all...
                              Last edited by Paradim; 11-08-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Just a random thought I had-

Currently, we have five main Guilds- but it seems that in the time of Irem, both the Deceived and the Maar Kherit were equal to them in standing, giving us seven Guilds. The Maar Kherit were the "sister Guild" of the Su Menet, while it is clear that the Akhem Urtu had strong connection to the Sesha Hebsu. That makes me think if there are, perhaps, other such "sisters" to the remaining Guilds. As we are left with three such Guilds, it is likely that two of them may have had similar connections like the other couples. If that's the case, I would bet that it would be the Maa Kep and the Tef Aabhi, as their works complete each other (the later plans the monuments, the first supervise the slaves who build it), even though that following the stereotypes, it feels like it should be the Tef Aabhi and the Mesen Nebu (which could also make sense- the Alchemists have the vision, the Architects have the blueprints. The one works represents the future, the other the past. Yeah, it works). That would mean that either the Maa Kep or the Mesen Nebu are left without such "sister". Sure, we still have two more Guilds, but the Kher Minu are not a true Guild, while the Wadjet Itja don't have relics of their own, and their whole standing is kinda shaky. If the Oracles are indeed the missing "sister", they could work with the Mesen Nebu, as both of them focus of the future with different perspectives, even though I think that the Maa Kep would be a better coupling (as both focus around manipulation and control- the one through authority and secrecy, the other through prophecies and manipulations- and both are really good liars, after all). If not, than maybe there is yet another minor Guild hiding out there, either lying in the ruins of the past and waiting to wake up, or hiding in the shadows of the Deathless society.

Just a thought.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X