Non-Iremite Mummies in 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Iremite Mummies in 2e

When the idea of mummies from outside Irem was proposed in 1e, the general answer given back was 'Yes, But Actually...'. "They say/think they're from (place), But Actually they are from Irem."; "They're similar to the Arisen, But Actually they are a lesser form of undead/immortal."; that sort of thing.

Now that 2e is coming around, is there still no room for equal-footing Deathless from outside of Irem's borders?

The Deathless all originated from the same Rite. That doesn’t stop them from growing attached to other cultures, gaining the body of someone from that culture, or adopting it as their own and incorporating it into their cult.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

There are of course other, lesser forms of immortals out there from various cultures and sources.

Revlid wrote:
      Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
        The Deathless all originated from the same Rite. That doesn’t stop them from growing attached to other cultures, gaining the body of someone from that culture, or adopting it as their own and incorporating it into their cult.
        Or in other words:

Second Verse, same as the First.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Plus if your memory of being in a particular culture comes back first before your memory of being in Irem then you might truly consider yourself from that other culture. Especially if you are in the body of a person of said culture.

Honestly, I kinda of like the idea that the first descent of the campaign is one of the strongest in terms of future memory. So if your first descent is 2016 New York then chances are you might identify more as an American from New York then you would from Irem, even twenty descents later.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            Plus if your memory of being in a particular culture comes back first before your memory of being in Irem then you might truly consider yourself from that other culture. Especially if you are in the body of a person of said culture.

Honestly, I kinda of like the idea that the first descent of the campaign is one of the strongest in terms of future memory. So if your first descent is 2016 New York then chances are you might identify more as an American from New York then you would from Irem, even twenty descents later.
            This is a great example of how a “mummy from another culture” could work.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

That's ....actually a cool idea. Especially with what taking over a body does.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

To present a different way to look at it- while 2e does not support Deathless being created by anyone but Irem, the Minor Guilds do present strange forms of immortality which are NOT the Rite of Return, and as such mean that it is not impossible, if your have enough power or access to certain Iremite/ Sekhem resources or something in that style, to make a very lesser and broken form of the Rite.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                  To present a different way to look at it- while 2e does not support Deathless being created by anyone but Irem, the Minor Guilds do present strange forms of immortality which are NOT the Rite of Return, and as such mean that it is not impossible, if your have enough power or access to certain Iremite/ Sekhem resources or something in that style, to make a very lesser and broken form of the Rite.
                  To be fair, the Blasphemous Depiction (I think that was the name) allowed for that precise possibility in 1e.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
                    Now that 2e is coming around, is there still no room for equal-footing Deathless from outside of Irem's borders?
                    It feels a bit like asking if there's room for non-Awakened mages of equal footing or non-God-Machine created demons of equal footing. The room is technically there as they're not explicitly stated to not exist, but it's not what Mage: The Awakening or Demon: The Descent is about so they have no reason to be included in those games. You'd have to homebrew them and come up with your own fluff and origins for them.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                      I came here to basically say this. Minor Guilds were a smart call for the people who want non-Iremite mummies, if you stretch the concept a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                        I came here to basically say this. Minor Guilds were a smart call for the people who want non-Iremite mummies, if you stretch the concept a bit.
                        Me, I'm hoping the Wadjet-Ita can make more of themselves. They're the most Kindred-like Guild, and not coincidentally, the most human. It makes sense for them to be able to raise others up to their level, because their time-theft means they still need to talk with mortals to find someone willing to give up a few decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Me, I'm hoping the Wadjet-Ita can make more of themselves. They're the most Kindred-like Guild, and not coincidentally, the most human. It makes sense for them to be able to raise others up to their level, because their time-theft means they still need to talk with mortals to find someone willing to give up a few decades.
                          I actually less thought about them as "Kindred" and more like Harvesters, especially due to how Immortals are now so closely related to Mummy. I still wonder of the Harvester's Scythe can take the life of an Arisen like it does to Immortals. Probably not, but still...

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                            I hadn't considered it before, but Minor Guilds could make an interesting take on foreign mummies; similar enough to share rulesets, but different enough to avoid the "But Actually" trap.

Comment

Working...
                            X