What does it mean to be Reborn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to be Reborn?

So as a preface, I LOVE the Reborn, and i am intensely glad they are in Mummy 2e with the other Immortals. And as such, i think a lot about them, and what they do, and how they are affected by their form of Immortality. It is important to remember that Immortality always comes with a price, and for the Reborn, that Price is uncertainty.

A Reborn has Multitudes. They remember themselves from another life, and yet still live their own. Are they really the person they remember being? or are they someone new who just remembers another person's life? or both? Many Reborn do not know.
    A Reborn has no Control. Most Reborn just sorta happen outside of their own control, and have no real guarantee that they will continue the next time they die. Those few that used a Ritual to make themself Reborn still have no control who they will be Reborn as next. A Reborn can always be born into a life that will die young, or that is enslaved, or that simply is in an environment that they cannot live well in. And that isn't even counting those many Reborn who Fate has on a string, who live life similarly again and again, without any way to avoid it.
    A Reborn is Vulnerable. In the vast majority of ways, the Reborn are merely mortal. They have no real way to protect themselves innately, and have no real way to innately gain or exert power than to play the long game. Reborn are at the mercy of the world around them, especially when dealing with all those supernatural things that are so much stronger than them, or that can bend their will to fit them, or can screw with them in any other countless ways.

All of these lead to a sense of uncertainty. An uncertainty of themselves, an uncertainty of their future, and even an uncertainty of their ability to do anything. That is the price of being Reborn. Fate messes with many of them, most had no real agency or choice in the matter of being Reborn, and they do not know what the future holds for them, and in fact if the past that they remember is really theirs.

Reborn have a few unique qualities, but it's important to understand the basic concept: they remember past lives, and that's pretty much it. That is the only thing that really holds all Reborn together. Now, unlike Mummies, all Reborn live their lives sequentially, never jumping back in time, but do not misinterpret this as there being no room for confusing in their lives. Keep in mind that the thing that truly is immortal in a Reborn is their memories. Here are some examples of ways to mess with the idea of what a Reborn IS (and keep in mind that each of these are just suggestions, and you can combine and mess with them at your leisure, and that I might flesh out more in the comments)

What if a Reborn remembered 20 lives of people who never knew they were Reborn... Including some who even met each other?
    What if a Reborn suddenly found themselves with the memories of a past life... that died a few days ago, not before they were born?
    What if a Reborn only remembered lives from back before even copper, with thousands of years in the gap?
    What if a Reborn suddenly found themself remembering the exact same memories as another Reborn?
    What if a Reborn, being neigh entirely mortal, finds themself becoming a different sort of monster in the world? What does it mean to remember a life as a Changeling or a Vampire?
    Last edited by SdeSpencer; 11-20-2019, 09:51 PM.

Slight Expansion because the new Reborn rules came out and i really like them: Reborn are Linear, Essentially Mortal, and they Remember. But what do these words mean really?

Reborn are Linear, because they will always remember the past, and not the future (excluding unrelated Time Bullshit, like Hedge things and GM Fuckery). This is the only requirement for being linear, and rebirth can mess around within this space a lot (see above for some examples, but there are more).

Reborn are Essentially Mortal, because the Reborn state's only true advantage is its memory on its own. There is no distinct supernatural advantage given to being a Reborn beyond this, and they age and grow ill like any other person. As well, unless a supernatural power is purely memory based, it is not held between lives of Reborn. This does not, however, mean that a Reborn cannot be changed into something inhuman or be reborn into a supernatural life.

Reborn Remember, because the only truly Immortal part of a Reborn is their memory. Their soul, their body, even their supernatural footprint all fall away besides that memory and what comes with it. The memory, and arguably the identity and personality, is all that says (though some Reborn have reportedly displayed radically different personalities, this is rare). And this does not mean that Reborn remember everything. While some Reborn remember each life crystal clear, some simply don't, as millennia of memories wear hard on the mind, and the unnecessary details and early years can fall away like they do for us all.

EDIT: Actually I just realized that some Reborn are mentioned as not being linear, similar to Mummies, which I find very interesting and super wasn’t expecting. I’ll probably have more talks on this idea in the future and how this can be played with
    Last edited by SdeSpencer; 11-26-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Reborn can be made by certain supernaturals. They now have a Sekhem Dots and Sekhem Points. Btw Reborn can take the same Supernatural Merits as Mortals, so they can gain stuff like Telepathy, or I think Sorcerer Merits. Plus Gift of Years grants Social Merits tied to maintaing their immortality. And they can get Supernatural Potency (I think it stacks with Sekhem Dots as resistance to Supernatural magic). And a Merit that allows them to increase their stats for a scene for a Sekhem point. So a Reborn with effort can become more powerful.

Comment

Its also mentioned in the section that there are rumors and myths and legends of some Reborn who can influence where their souls end up in the next life, be it forward or backward in time. This sort of non-linear nature is definitely hinted as a sort of ST decided element rather than as a confirmed automatic fact. Which, to me, is a great way to go about doing it depending on what the ST and players want. I would, for example, like the fact that Reborn are non-linear but I can see that not everyone would, and that is cool.

The fact that the Reborn have access to Gift of Years which grants access to Supernatural Merits which also lets them take the Sorcerer Merits is to me brilliant. It means that while they won't have the super blatent world shattering power of say the main splats the fact is they can, in time, be pretty powerful when it comes to effecting the mortal world around them. I mean having telepathy and telekinesis and unseen senses and pyrokinesis and on and on can make them a very powerful group.

I will admit that at this point I am not entirely sure what they would use Sekhem for, besides supernatural resistance, for all that its granted to them 'free' by having the Gift of Years merit. I do think it would be cool if they could gain access to power points that could be used instead of Willpower to activate their supernatural merit powers.

Another element of the Reborn that I am not entirely comfortable with is that death is death which means they won't come back for say another eighteen to twenty years (that is being an adult). This is fine except when you think about how they were born to parents, who maybe probably loved them, had a childhood, had friends, and then grew up to adulthood. While death for them is not the end of their existence it does effect the nature of the campaign and such, in a way that might be unfun.

I also find myself wondering about the sanctity of experience. So we have a Reborn with a post-creation level of say 20 XP, they die, they come back, does their next life give them 20 XP automatically or are they at starting level. If they have linear time and they have the abilities of dozens of life times then why aren't they at 100 XP + levels of development.

All that said, I really like the idea of the Reborn and think that if a campaign is centered right they can be brilliant. And very very fun.

Comment

I would say that Sanctity of Merits applies, its own OOC concept, not a IC concept.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            Another element of the Reborn that I am not entirely comfortable with is that death is death which means they won't come back for say another eighteen to twenty years (that is being an adult). This is fine except when you think about how they were born to parents, who maybe probably loved them, had a childhood, had friends, and then grew up to adulthood. While death for them is not the end of their existence it does effect the nature of the campaign and such, in a way that might be unfun.
            LordHeru, similar problem to the gameplay of Reborn is in Monarchies of Mau, with optional Nine Lives rule of cats. I plan to solve the problem as Game Master of 'I cannot play PC for years after his death' simply by saying that memories of previous lives do not need to transfer at birth - only on 'souls adulthood' moment of recipient. Is it 7 years old, 12, 15, 18 or 21 years - or any number between - is for ST to decide. For Mummy, maybe best would be checking how Egyptian felt when ( on which birthdays ) your Name is True You . Idea is that previous soul/memories 'seek' new body on the night of hosts death - and enters suitable body the same night. Voila, you have now 7 years boy with 1000 years of memories!

The only problem with that would be that you need rules for playing children in CoD rules. ( But some hacks were done ages ago, on this forums... )
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-28-2019, 02:13 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

LordHeru, similar problem to the gameplay of Reborn is in Monarchies of Mau, with optional Nine Lives rule of cats. I plan to solve the problem as Game Master of 'I cannot play PC for years after his death' simply by saying that memories of previous lives do not need to transfer at birth - only on 'souls adulthood' moment of recipient. Is it 7 years old, 12, 15, 18 or 21 years - or any number between - is for ST to decide. For Mummy, maybe best would be checking how Egyptian felt when ( on which birthdays ) your Name is True You . Idea is that previous soul/memories 'seek' new body on the night of hosts death - and enters suitable body the same night. Voila, you have now 7 years boy with 1000 years of memories!

The only problem with that would be that you need rules for playing children in CoD rules. ( But some hacks were done ages ago, on this forums... )
              Oh. Interesting. I had thought mostly on the idea of the soul of the immortal enters a new body upon the moment of birth, but nothing says that due to the way time itself is all messed up due to the Rite (which the Reborn are slightly attuned to, them being Sekhem users as well) that soul entrance and enlightening might occur at different times. That theoretically two people might have the same soul at the same time, though only one of them is enlightened to their Reborn nature. This could be useful in that a Reborn can die but choose to awake within another person in the present time period.

Interesting.

Now this would only work due to the transcendent and outside time nature of souls, which I am fine with.

Of course, a somewhat simpler answer is to give them the Fount of Vitality merit which would let them heal like one of the Arisen, which would make the risk of death much less.

--------------------

Sooo I am trying to think of a Reborn organization. Something that could have existed for thousands of years in a seemingly unending structure. Something that could have grown from somewhere in the ancient world to a world wide scope. It would be a Cult, from a mechanical standpoint, though one dedicated to the Reborn and not the Arisen.

Amusingly enough the term Aeon Society or Fellowship or Lodge or Foundation would actually work since the word actually means basically forever. hehe

But yeah thinking of potential campaign elements and plots for the Reborn and their society interests me quite a lot.

Comment

Watchmen introduced a new way of doing Reborn this week.
                Clone yourself. Use Nostalgia to record your memories in pill form. Feed Nostalgia to your young clone. Eventually your memories will take over the clone and become a new you. It could be a way to explain not becoming your true self until adulthood.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Sooo I am trying to think of a Reborn organization. Something that could have existed for thousands of years in a seemingly unending structure. Something that could have grown from somewhere in the ancient world to a world wide scope. It would be a Cult, from a mechanical standpoint, though one dedicated to the Reborn and not the Arisen.

Amusingly enough the term Aeon Society or Fellowship or Lodge or Foundation would actually work since the word actually means basically forever. hehe

But yeah thinking of potential campaign elements and plots for the Reborn and their society interests me quite a lot.
                  While I'm not sure it is what you are looking for, I have made long ago my version for a Reborn Organization, which does have some ties to the Arisen and Irem, which may be useful for you.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    While I'm not sure it is what you are looking for, I have made long ago my version for a Reborn Organization, which does have some ties to the Arisen and Irem, which may be useful for you.
                    What I was thinking about slash looking for was a sort of society for the Reborn, one probably in some ways Cult like. This group doesn't have to be religious, it could be social or educational or economic. I could see something like a university, with a scholarship designed for people who meet the requirements - thus proving themselves as Reborn - or it could be a company or bank or social club.

As I was thinking about this I couldn't help but think a school that admits people at the age of 11. Now, most students are normal, while some who join the school are Reborn, and they use certain codes to get free automatic entrance. While a part of the school they are treated with a bit more respect and adult oriented authority than their physical age might normalize, all thanks to their Reborn memories.

Comment

Working...
                    X