What is Sekhem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Sekhem?

Like, really what it is? I read Lexicon and previews of MtC 2E - and I simply do not know beyond term 'Life Force'. Is Sekhem like beating of the heart you hear in your head? Does Sekhem rousing vampires - as their existence is bound by praying on Vitea? Does it have something to Mana or Essence - or any other 'mystical fuel' of CoD universe? Tell my what is Sekhem - in more than one or two sentences...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

It's a good question and one I didn't have much of a handle on until recently.

Dreams of Avarice presents a claimed revelation from the gods which defines Sekhem as "the power roused in life to escape pain," in the context of the Judges' introduction during the creation of the world of the necessity of strife, suffering, costs, and mortality. This necessary entropy, suffering, and counterbalancing negativity of the world is called the Law of Suffering, and is in multiple places referred to as being "given to Sekhem." The tale of the creation of the world describes Sekhem "congealing" into animal and plant life, and the sky and earth are formed when Sekhem is bidden to rise up and to sink down.

Sekhem appears to naturally collect in vessels and vestiges when they have been around events of import or extreme moments for people, associating it with impressions, memories, and feelings.

It seems to be akin to the soul or the life of the world: the entire world is alive and on some level "feels" the things happening around it. It's roused when things struggle against suffering, or its nature is to struggle, or it is the struggle. That struggle against suffering resides within the world as a kind of potential energy which can be harnessed or hoarded.

It is, I guess, the world's feelings of strife, baked or soaked into the things and places that remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      Sekhem appears to naturally collect in vessels and vestiges when they have been around events of import or extreme moments for people, associating it with impressions, memories, and feelings.

It seems to be akin to the soul or the life of the world: the entire world is alive and on some level "feels" the things happening around it. It's roused when things struggle against suffering, or its nature is to struggle, or it is the struggle. That struggle against suffering resides within the world as a kind of potential energy which can be harnessed or hoarded.

It is, I guess, the world's feelings of strife, baked or soaked into the things and places that remember it.
      So Sekhem could be described in CoD terms as Anima Mundi's ( from Astral Space ) imprint on things or beings? Marking them more... 'alive' or 'true existing' than rest of the world?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Ish but not really.

Sekhem is both the lifeforce and memory of the world, but it's not really it's soul. It's "liveliness".
        Last edited by ArcaneArts; 12-11-2019, 10:06 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

A Health Trait, but not "Integrity" score?

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So Sekhem could be described in CoD terms as Anima Mundi's ( from Astral Space ) imprint on things or beings? Marking them more... 'alive' or 'true existing' than rest of the world?
            Not the soul in that sense. Feeling and memory, but not consciousness.

Not truer or more real.

A possible comparison:
            Something full of Mana is more true or meaningful than other things.
            Something full of Essence has a more vibrant spiritual life.
            Something full of Sekhem has a richer, weightier life.

Comment

Like in a video game when the treasure has a glittering glow around it to let you know it's valuable.

Comment

I like how Sekhem is an energy system that could, potentially, be multiple things at once. But even more I like how its natural and that it joins with objects - Vessels - even without active manipulation.

You know, as a random thing, Sekhem could be said to be similar to the Force. hmmm ... Thoughts are beginning to come. lol

But yeah this thread discussing the nature of Sekhem is brilliant.

Oh, as another point, I like how for some beings its singular but that for others it is in fact multifaceted and contains components. I like that dual nature.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

You know, as a random thing, Sekhem could be said to be similar to the Force. hmmm ... Thoughts are beginning to come. lol
                  “Use the Sekhem, Lukehotep.”

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                  Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                  Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                    You know, as a random thing, Sekhem could be said to be similar to the Force.
                    I would actually call this a good comparison. Sekhem is present in all living beings. It surrounds, penetrates, and binds the world together. It soaks into places and things of import as impressions of what life has experienced there. It feels and can be felt.

Comment

I'd only vaguely thought about it before, so I'm only just now putting it into words. Sekhem appears to be the manifestation of experiential life; the 'memory' of objects, events and the feelings attached those objects & events. Based purely on the descriptions, Sekhem is the proof that something not only existed, but mattered. It is evidence of a life worth living. Hence 'life essence'. I wouldn't say that it is the only proof, but I would argue that is a condensed form of those memories and emotions.

And with that said, I think I have a better understanding of why the Judges demand it is rendered unto them; the Law of Suffering is so much more persuasive if we have no proof that it can be curtailed.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                        And with that said, I think I have a better understanding of why the Judges demand it is rendered unto them; the Law of Suffering is so much more persuasive if we have no proof that it can be curtailed.
                        Could you describe in one sentence what is Law of Suffering? It seems as main motto of the Judges and Mummy gameline as all...

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Sekhem is used by sorcerers as well as by the Arisen.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            Could you describe in one sentence what is Law of Suffering? It seems as main motto of the Judges and Mummy gameline as all...
                            "Things move to avoid pain."

Resident Lore-Hound
                            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Sooo all this talk of Sekhem being maybe like the Force makes me want to create a template for Jedi and Sith analogs. hehe

We need a Force Lightning power.

Comment

Working...
                              X