What is Sekhem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Could you describe in one sentence what is Law of Suffering? It seems as main motto of the Judges and Mummy gameline as all...
    "No life without pain."

Entropy exists. Plants need nutrients. Animals hunger. Predators kill for meat. Populations turn on one another. People grow old and die.

The world is cruel and to live is to suffer. This is the Law of the Judges.

Comment

Could you describe in one sentence what is Law of Suffering? It seems as main motto of the Judges and Mummy gameline as all...
      My personal interpretation?
      "All things must Suffer, for as long as they exist."

I was unsurprised that when the Devourer shows up in Duat, her most frequent offer in the bargain is an end to the pain. That is how the Judges wagered reality after all; anything to make the torture stop, even oblivion. Avoiding pain is a primal motivation, after all.

Therefore Will represents choosing to defy that principle. For example, suffering to spare someone else. Or simply by being content. By choosing to believe that life is more good than pain, etc. Choosing to find a better way a better place. Heavenly A'aru put proof to the lie of the Law, fallow and empty as it is.
      Even Sekhem, in the non-Bane Relics, doesn't have to take the form of positive experiences. In doing so, it shows just because there is pain, it doesn't mean there will always be.

Bane Relics are this the counterpoint; Sekhem made (or tainted) by the Law of Suffering.

I'll go back in my hole now, sorry for bothering everyone.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

"Your only motivation is pain."

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Sekhem is...complicated. Yes, an important aspect of it seems related directly to life, death and the struggles and hardships inherent between that beginning and end. At the same time Sekhem appears to be a mystical, pervasive force of metaphysical energy- flowing through all living things, through the cosmos, through the Earth. It follows geomantic patterns and pools within manmade objects. It blessed and curses with the duality of day and night, inundation and drought, order and chaos. It is a part of the soul and yet separate from it. If creation is the name written upon the cosmos perhaps Sekhem is the space between the names.

In other words, Sekhem is more than what the Arisen know. Perhaps more than the Judges know as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            We need a Force Lightning power.
            Reskin Tier 2 of Invoking Tempest’s Fury.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

I'm more confused about how Sekhem can be observed technologically/scientifically, since they said it could be in first edition. However that group is called as sorcerers in second edition.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                I'm more confused about how Sekhem can be observed technologically/scientifically, since they said it could be in first edition. However that group is called as sorcerers in second edition.
                Mages in MtAw also observe 'scientifically' Supernal phenomena. See materials on Obrimos, Mysterium and Free Council in gameline. 😎
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-12-2019, 04:49 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Mages in MtAw also observe 'scientificlly' Supernal phenomens. See materials on Obrimos, Mysterium and Free Council in gameline. 😎
                  That's not what FallenEco seem to be asking about. Mages can apply the scientific principle, but still use their supernatural abilities for collecting the data and carrying out experiments. They don't actually use non-magical technology to observe the Supernal, because that's impossible. At most they can use mundane technology and science to learn more about the Fallen in order to infer information about the Supernal. (Though I have to concede that the Free Council actually does believe that the Fallen/humanity is magical in its own right, so from their perspective they do get to directly observe the supernatural through technology; just not the Supernal directly.)

The question is, can you develop actual technology for observing or possibly interacting with Sekhem, or is the fact that Last Dynasty International explicitly uses magic rituals in second edition confirmation that Sekhem is out of reach for mundane technology?
                  Last edited by Tessie; 12-12-2019, 08:51 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

That seems a false dichotomy rooted in a very particular form of reductive materialism that doesn't hold in CoD. Within Mummy's cosmology, Fate and Will are fundamental forces and The Law of Suffering is as real as the Law of Conservation of Energy. Much like you cannot measure the enthalpy of fusion with an inert, pure noble gas, you cannot measure Sekhem with equipment that does not interact with the appropriate forces.

Now, it seems that humans are the only beings with Will able to engage with Sekhem naturally, which means that humans would be the appropriate instrument for measuring with it just as a decimeter is the appropriate instrument for measuring radioactivity. Sorcery and rituals are procedures for the human instrument which are repeatable and, when formed correctly, have consistent results. Irem was even able to industrialize them.

Quantum physics existed before scientists had worked out the math and designed instruments and experiments able to observe them, and we still haven't been able to fully reconcile it with the rest of our understanding of the universe, though we have demonstrable evidence it is true.

Now, it may be that certain unusual effects or holes in "mundane" science are due to Sekhem. It might be possible to observe it with "mundane" equipment in appropriate circumstances. Last Dynasty will be looking for these unusual effects or investigating how various instruments react around known sekhem sources to see how it engages with the rest of known science. But the fact that the human element will be an extremely important factor means that it will not be as "clean" a process as observing pure chemicals in test tubes.
                    Last edited by Exthalion; 12-19-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I don’t see any reason to discard what was established in first edition about Sekhem being detectable by normal (though unspecified) scientific means. After all, there isn’t anything that implies the “unwise empiricist” on page 203 was part of last dynasty or any other scorpion cult. They were just presented as a poor smart guy who stumbled upon an odd energy reading and presumably got fucked by his curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                      X