Shades and Fiends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades and Fiends

heyyyyy do we know if shades and or fiends can get up to rank 6+?

Fiends, yes. Absolutely. Shades are left open for individual groups to decide.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

excellent <.< *eyes future changeling the lost schemes*

Comment

Aren't Fiends already Rank 6+ as default? Or did I imagine that?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

They’re of variable rank. There’s just no stats for them (or anything else) in Duat, as all challenges must be handled narratively. There’s a sidebar explaining how to stat them when they escape into the world.

Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            Aren't Fiends already Rank 6+ as default? Or did I imagine that?
            No. You calculate the Rank based on how you build them as if they were Amkhata.

Since the Rank chart for Amkhata stops at 5 and Amkhata are explicitly limited to Rank 5, Rank 6+ Fiends doesn't seem possible. If they are supposed to be, then I think that should be mentioned in the book.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

No. You calculate the Rank based on how you build them as if they were Amkhata.

Since the Rank chart for Amkhata stops at 5 and Amkhata are explicitly limited to Rank 5, Rank 6+ Fiends doesn't seem possible. If they are supposed to be, then I think that should be mentioned in the book.
              Apep is mentioned as a fiend. As a godly entity in his own right, he would be greater than Rank 5.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                They’re of variable rank. There’s just no stats for them (or anything else) in Duat, as all challenges must be handled narratively. There’s a sidebar explaining how to stat them when they escape into the world.
                oh since you seem to be an in the know person...just cuz I want to double check this.

Duat in second ed is not in the underworld right? like you travel deeper into twillight to find it? Based on what i have read mummies are barred from going properly into the underworld.

Second thing...Shades seem strange to me. Like they seem at first glance like some kind of strix + ghost hybrid as they are shadows that feed on blood but also carry memories of the dead. But are they something else?

Comment

Apep is mentioned as a fiend. As a godly entity in his own right, he would be greater than Rank 5.
                  Should be, definitely, but if built according to the rules given he couldn't be more than Rank 5. Compare with ephemeral entities that explicitly can go over Rank 5, but don't have rules for it.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
                    oh since you seem to be an in the know person...just cuz I want to double check this.

Duat in second ed is not in the underworld right? like you travel deeper into twillight to find it? Based on what i have read mummies are barred from going properly into the underworld.

Second thing...Shades seem strange to me. Like they seem at first glance like some kind of strix + ghost hybrid as they are shadows that feed on blood but also carry memories of the dead. But are they something else?
                    I’m the one who wrote Duat, as well as the fiends and shades. Duat is its own realm. It is AN Underworld, but not THE Underworld, if that makes any sense. Mummies actually are able to enter the Underworld, but they can’t cross the first river because Anpu stops them. Duat’s “main entrances” are located deep in Neter-Khertet.
                    The exact nature of shades is left for individual groups to decide. An easy explanation that I’ve offered up before for people who want one without coming up with it themselves is to treat them as the Sheut Pillar of the deceased. Shades go to Duat for judgment. While they’re different from ghosts, most people wouldn’t notice the difference, and many things that affect ghosts also function against shades. If I ever get the opportunity to greatly expand on them, I may try to establish a more complex answer, but for now it’s a deliberate mystery.

Comment

I’m the one who wrote Duat, as well as the fiends and shades. Duat is its own realm. It is AN Underworld, but not THE Underworld, if that makes any sense. Mummies actually are able to enter the Underworld, but they can’t cross the first river because Anpu stops them. Duat’s “main entrances” are located deep in Neter-Khertet.
                      The exact nature of shades is left for individual groups to decide. An easy explanation that I’ve offered up before for people who want one without coming up with it themselves is to treat them as the Sheut Pillar of the deceased. Shades go to Duat for judgment. While they’re different from ghosts, most people wouldn’t notice the difference, and many things that affect ghosts also function against shades. If I ever get the opportunity to greatly expand on them, I may try to establish a more complex answer, but for now it’s a deliberate mystery.

Ohhh yeah since you wrot...waaaaaaait YOU ARE THE NO SUCH THING AS DRAGONS GUY?! Awesome, anyway what i was going to ask about the Duat is that I saw it mentioned non mummies entering it/going through the trials. Ignoring shades who seem to go through it...who else could enter Duat? Also, do you think we will ever see more Duat content that might even touch upon what if ::insert non mummy here:: ends up in the duat?

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post

Ohhh yeah since you wrot...waaaaaaait YOU ARE THE NO SUCH THING AS DRAGONS GUY?! Awesome, anyway what i was going to ask about the Duat is that I saw it mentioned non mummies entering it/going through the trials. Ignoring shades who seem to go through it...who else could enter Duat? Also, do you think we will ever see more Duat content that might even touch upon what if ::insert non mummy here:: ends up in the duat?
                        Yes, “No Such Thing As Dragons” was the first thing Onyx Path hired me to write. I’m glad it made an impression.
                        As far as who can enter Duat: short simple answer? Whoever you need to enter it. How can be a bit trickier. To give a few possibilities: Certain rituals in a mummy’s could bring other characters to Duat when the mummy enters henet. A strange celestial conjunction could interact with a natural or artificial structure to open a portal directly into it. Mages screw something up while doing the mage thing. Reality starts breaking down, causing gateways to other realms to crack open. Really, it’s pretty well open to whatever you need for your game. I would love to expand on Duat eventually if I get the chance, but I don’t know when or if that will happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X