The Sahu 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sahu 2nd Edition

Hey guys, I'm looking for the new rules for the Sahu in the preview of the Mummy 2nd edition manuscript we got if we kickstarted the project. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I believe the Sahu now allows some amount of shifting one's features so that we can now appear as different races (and genders, perhaps?) across different eras. Do we have rules for that or is that omitted from the manuscript?

Unless it has changed since the end of the Kickstarter campaign, the manuscript doesn't even stop to define what a sahu is, despite using the term repeatedly.

Second Edition does make it easier for a mummy to resurrect in the body of a cultist, in the form of the Rite of Investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      Unless it has changed since the end of the Kickstarter campaign, the manuscript doesn't even stop to define what a sahu is, despite using the term repeatedly.
      As of the compiled manuscript from the end of the KS, it's soft-defined at the start of the "Sahu Repair" part of the Effects of Sekhem list in the section explaining Sekhem.

Between Memory Bleed and the general application of the term to just refer to the body that you occupy (the sahu rebuilds itself around canopic jars and a Descent in an Invested cultist still results in a corpse), I don't think there's much need for additional rules for "you've been other people and the magic that makes you look like not-a-corpse reflects that." It's not exactly a rapid change.

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Cool! Now the arisen can transfer their souls to new bodies? But it works with cultists only?

Comment

No it works on non-cultists too, just works better with Inheiritors.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

And the new vessel has to be alive, or even a corpse works well?

PS: A fresh awakened Arisen, don't look anymore like a mummified body?
            Last edited by Ipergigio; 04-25-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Gonna preface these next questions by saying if this info is covered in the manuscript I apologize for my inability to locate it. I haven't poured over the text the same way I have the 1st edition so I feel like I'm stumbling around a little blindly searching for the information. My word searches on the PDF have not availed me, at least. I look forward to the final draft where this info will hopefully be expanded upon and even better have an index. Just be aware if the answer is in the text I'm asking not because I'm lazy but just suck at finding information! Which is...a little better maybe?

Anyway...

1. In first edition a cult could prepare a body or sacrifice a victim (willing or unwilling) to merge with the mummy. Doing so had some severe losses of memory and risked changing the character into a Shuankhsen (yikes) so was a last resort. Is this still an option or has the Inheritor rules basically replaced that ability entirely? Or do we know?

2. I assume a Mummy can use an Inheritor as a resurrection any time he gets tossed into a death cycle if he still has enough Sekhem to resurrect at all. Could he also do so when first waking up during The Call? From the text it sounds as if he doesn't need permission or awareness from the cultist when he wants to do this. So if he wanted to be a dick he could just forgo his old body and warp right into the brain of the high priest leading the ritual, correct? I assume he still needs the Call or a Sothic Turn or some other major event to have the impetus to come back from Duat in the first place?

3. Although, now that I think about it....say the mummy has been destroyed and has fallen back to Duat, no more Sekhem. Then a thief enters the tomb. Under normal circumstances a mummy could rise up, kill the theif, and go back to sleep. Lacking a body...could a mummy's soul be roused in the mind of an Inheritor under those odd circumstances?

4. Am I reading that right that supernatural entities can be given the Rite of Investment? So a mummy could resurrect in the body of a Demon or a Werewolf? Or am I missing something there?

5. On a similar note...how important is having another soul to merge with in this situation? Say I invest a pillar in a body thief, but before I can resurrect the tricky immortal does the old switcheroo and abandons the mind of the body he previously inhabited. Would I be able to claim the old body? Or would I perhaps "follow" the thief's mind to his new body? If he switched minds with someone else would I end up devouring the poor bastard who now lives in the old body? Or would the whole reincarnation no longer work?

Comment

1. It pretty much replaces it. It’s more or less the same situation, but less risky for the mummies.
                2. You would still need a reason to return from Duat. The cultist will be aware, though, thanks to the Memory Bleed Condition.
                3. That’s not specified, but if it works for your game, go for it.
                4. The exact rules for other supernatural creatures is deliberately left vague for the core.
                5. It isn’t specified. Personally, I would say it follows the individual, not the body. A body thief can’t escape that easily.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Like, how things work for 3 has been quit an headache for me when I first read the preview. Sure, I more or less managed to rationalize it after how mummies move through time was somewhat explained, but I am still not sure about edge cases (like, the level of how mummies can be banished from a certain "time current"). Still, I guess that's what happens when you need to deal with non linear time :P

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Number 3 depends on how important that is to your narrative. If the thieves have just managed to destroy the mummy’s body and are shortly after raiding his tomb, is it important that he stops them or is this something for him to deal with in a later time period? Possibly waking up in a looted tomb and having to track everything down while dealing with his Judge’s demands.

If it is important, then it happens. The mummy being out of Sekhem and going back to Duat isn’t an impediment when timelessness comes into it. The mummy could be in Duat for an eternity and wake up moments after he descended, or he could have a quick turnaround in Duat and wake thousands of years away.

But as I said, if it’s important to the story, reality finds a way. The mummy’s curse triumphs over rational thinking. Picture a horror movie where the plucky heroes triumph over the mummy and burn his corpse to ashes. They ride off into the sunset filled with heroic glory and satisfaction. Cut away to a thief watching them go and taking is chance to break into the tomb. Or a ‘short time later’ cue and the thief finds the tomb. He enters and is ready to make off with the treasure trove when the mummy’s desiccated hand curls around his sarcophagus’ lid and prepares to deal with the thief.

Time is wide, streams of where things happened/didn’t happen constantly slide over each other, and the Rite of Return doesn’t care about small things like ‘continuity’.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                    X