Forumite Heresy: Mummy: the Curse and the Classic World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forumite Heresy: Mummy: the Curse and the Classic World of Darkness

Hello there; maybe you know me from other threads in the Classic World of Darkness corner of the Fora.
    I have to say, I have always feel intrigued by the concepts that I managed to get from Mummy: the Curse.
    So...

Is there a Conversion Guide between Mummy: the Curse and the Classic World of Darkness, even if its from the Storyteller's Vault?
    Any way to add them to the CWOD?

If there isn't, do you think they would fit there? Would it be very difficult to introduce them?

Are they really so different to the Mummies from Awakening?

"No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

They could be an interesting Replacement for the Amenti, I rather really really like the gameline. Changeling and Mummy are probably my Favorite Chronicles of Darkness Games in 1st ed. The Sothic Turn idea is interesting, but Ancient in Mummy the Curse is not the same as Ancient in the Classic World of Darkness so maybe have Irem exist one or two Sothic Turns farther in the past.

I really like the Shan'iatu, and if you actually keep the idea that Sutekh was a God of Irem that favored freedom and Apotheosis he would actually be fitting as being the same being as the Founders of the Settites.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

So, I guess there's no Conversion Guide?

Comment

No, no conversion guide, because unlike say Vampire the two gamelines are so radically different, despite sharing the same name, that they basically have nothing in common. Like at all. Any such conversion guide would be 'try and find similar concepts but you will have to build it entirely from scratch.'

I would say this - if by any chance they decided to either actually make a Mummy the Resurrection to CoD book I would buy it in a heartbeat. MtR is my jam and deserves more respect and love than it got.

Comment

I think introducing the Arisen to WoD is a really cool idea, but the Arisen and the Amenti are two very different beings.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Uhmm... I must be either very stupid or very holistic, because from what I have read so far, they sound quite similar... (so far, all my knowledge comes from The White Wolf Wiki)
            (https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Mummy:_The_Curse)

Comment

It might sound like that in theory but in practice no, the two game lines have entirely different motifs. Entirely different focuses. One is a bit more about hope and honor and the other is, well trying to put it nicely, very far from that. Yes, they are both about immortals, and yes there are a bunch of similar names and terms used, but in actual design, no, they are quite different. If you really really like Mummy the Resurrection I would suggest you try and find either a copy in a store, unlikely now but still, or look up reviews and such or even see if anyone you know might have a copy of Curse before you buy it. I say this because if you go in with Resurrection expectations you will not get what you are thinking you will get.

You might like Curse, not sayin you won't, but that would be you liking it for its own theme, which again, is very different, unfortunately so in my opinion, from what Resurrection was.

Comment

Thanks, LordHeru.

Comment

Originally posted by Alqamar Alaswad View Post
                  So, I guess there's no Conversion Guide?
                  There's no Translation Guide, and there isn't going to be one in STV unless and until they change the rules: right now, Translation Guides are forbidden. (Which is not to say that you can't make such a supplement; only that you can't share it with others for profit — or at all, possibly. I haven't looked into the fine print closely enough to know for certain.)

As LordHeru said, Mummy the Resurrection and Mummy the Curse are largely at odds in how they approach mummies, with at least as much difference between them as exists between Demon the Fallen and Demon the Descent. A Mummy Translation Guide would resemble the Demon Translation Guide. Which made a valiant attempt to provide translations, but ultimately struck me as a lost cause.

Now, it's also worth noting that the Reborn featured in Mummy the Resurrection weren't the first example of mummies in the original World of Darkness. They first appeared in a Vampire supplement about mummies, and later in a line-agnostic second edition. The Resurrection-style mummies were wildly different from their predecessors; and those predecessors would be an easier target for translation to and from Mummy the Curse: more of a Mage Translation Guide level of difference, I'd say. Though honestly, the Purified might be a better contact point on the Chronicles of Darkness side of things than the Arisen are.

If I were to translate Mummy the Resurrection to the Chronicles of Darkness, I'd target the Deathless who have achieved Apotheosis as the recipients of the translations. Thematically, they're a much better fit (though still not a particularly good one).

Comment

I see... thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I have everything published in the World of Darkness with the word "mummy" in the title (or almost anywhere... I have the three year of the Scarab novels and those Werewolf books where Wepawet is a Silent Strider-Mummy or something), and...

After having read all your comments, I still feel unconvinced. But the analogy between the Resurrected and those who have achieved Apotheosis in Mummy: the Curse sounds interesting...

I guess I will have to pick Mummy: the Curse myeself and dive deep into its waters...

Anyhow, really, thanks for everything.

Comment

Dataweaver can you remind me again what Apotheosis is? I read the manuscript during the Kickstarter, but it’s been a while. Thanks.

Comment

I know what it literally means, I just don’t remember what it means for the Arisen.

Comment

For the Arisen, it's where they achieve a state where they're free from the Judges and are no longer going through an endless cycle of Descents.

Comment

But... the Resurrected (Classic World of Darkness) go to the Judges when they die... so, how are they similar to Arisen who have achieved Apotheosis?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                              Dataweaver can you remind me again what Apotheosis is? I read the manuscript during the Kickstarter, but it’s been a while. Thanks.
                              Getting free of the Judges driving you to gather relics for them and fall to slumber. Reclaiming your self-determination from the beings you serve and staving off the automaton-state that lower Memory more easily afflicts you with.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                              X