The Visitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Visitors

So I found myself contemplating the Visitors as first seen World of Darkness: Immortals and touched on in Fall of Isaerion (Dark Eras companion set during the death of Cleopatra) and Mummy: the Curse second edition. There is a contradiction in these sources that I have some thoughts on reconciling. I would like to hear your opinions.

Okay, original origin had the Visitors as spirits "mutated" by the detonation of nuclear warheads to be semi-corporeal worms that whose laveral state resides in Trinite, a green glass formed by the heat of said nuclear detonation. They infect a living person, eat and replace a portion of their brain's synapses to form a symbiotic relationship with the host, gift them with fantastic regeneration abilities and certain magical Numina. They are entities born from the hopes and fears of the nuclear age, either looking to enslave or help the human race depending on who you ask. They can reproduce, but doing so is dangerous as the Visitor can only leave the host for a few minutes before exposure to air kills them both. "Second Generation" Visitors essentially are children who grew up with their parasite, and effectively are too integrated with the entity for there to be a appreciable difference between the human and the Visitor.

Dark Eras puts this origin in question. Visitors apparently are alive as far back as the closing decades of the BC era. They have knowledge of Irem and the Shan'iatu and regard the Judges the way an adult regards a child. Second edition does not confirm this age but does continue to state their knowledge of the Mummies and their history.

I suggest that there are in fact three ways to "birth" a Visitor. The first is as seen in Immortals- nuclear detonation. The second involves a similar event of a more natural, cosmological sort- a large enough meteor strike the earth to create a crater and cause the surrounding sand to form shards of glass. The third plays off the true meaning behind why the first two work. The destruction of primordial matter, either deliberately by the hand of man or due to a cosmic object from the stars striking the Earth both hearken back to the First Occasion- what the mortals now call the Big Bang and what the Arisen's mythos would claim to be the first words spoken by the god Atum that broken the conception of his Will into the existence of the name and the Word. The third point of origin invokes both the nuclear fire of the Trinity tests and the mad thoughts of humanity surrounding that experiment on a more metaphysical level. The Deceived make use of a certain kind of "relic" called a Seba- what is essentially a pre-conceived free floating CONCEPT of magic rather than magic shaped into being from raw materials as traditional relics are. Some of these Seba do not exist as such from human thought, but appear as moving "stars" in the night sky. I propose that the oldest Visitors are ones that hitch a ride on these Cosmic Seba when they manifest on Earth (somewhat postulating a violent, fiery manifestation akin to a meteor or a small nuclear warhead for the sake of this discussion...except the "fire" in this case is pure Sekhem flaring briefly into existence alongside the Seba). Visitors might be spirits as per their original origin (the Judges, after all, are said by some to be similarly primeval entities of the Shadow). Or they might have been born in the nuclear furnaces of distant stars (which are, in a sense, really really big nuclear explosions) and later hitched a ride on a Seba or meteor. Or they could be something similar to a minor Amkhata- an entity brought into existence due to the violent release or destruction of a vessel. Its not a perfect fit for that last one, not the least of which because a Seba presumably is not destroyed even if its manifestation is violent as I propose here. But it somewhat fits the idea from the original story that the violent explosion warped spirits into something new. In any case, connecting the oldest Visitors to the Seba nicely explains their knowledge and disdain for the Shan'iatu.

There are still questions I have no suggestions for. The original Visitors were relatively young, so two generations are all the world has ever seen. What happens to Visitors of a third or later generation (is the difference of subsequent offspring the same as second generations, or do they become steadily less human/more monstrous as they breed)? Immortals presents to basic factions of Visitors that love or hate humanity. Are the goals of older, "non-nuclear" Visitors different? Does a common origin, such as coming from the same nuclear test, impact crater or manifested Seba affect how a Visitor treats others of its kind? Do they use different "networks" for each individual "nest" or "philosophy" of Visitor? Could the hive mind be a type of sophisticated lifeweb? If we go with the Seba origin, do they have an interest when new ones manifest, and if so where does that put them when it comes to the Deceived?

Thoughts?

Tbh I didn’t read everything you wrote but my interpretation from reading Dark Eras is that the Visitors are a race of alien symbiotes from another planet (though I do acknowledge that in the original Immortals book they were supposed to be spirits).

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Well, if there is anyone in this forum who is willing to actually read about my idea and give me some feedback I'd very much appreciate hearing from them.

Comment

I really do think Dark Eras was clear that the Visitors were supposed to be aliens from outer space. I think it even uses the word “symbiote.”

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

I really like how you bridge the two origins of Visitors through different types of nuclear processes. It leads me to wonder how the resonance of their births may influence a newborn Visitor's mindset. If man-made nuclear fission ties Visitors to human progress (either the light or dark side), stellar processes may give birth to Visitors aligned with cosmic Fate. Considering how the Shan'iatu interfered with Fate by blotting out stars, only to have the result blow out in their faces, the latter type of Visitor has good reason to look down on them.

Although a possible connection between Visitors and Seba leaves me cold, it does present an amusing situation: possible origins of Visitors mirror how Seba can be created through either human endeavor or movement of the spheres. As a bit of trivia, there is a third circumstance where nuclear processes may take place:
          Link
          If we extend the established analogy, we may end up with Visitors (Natives?) tied to terrestal fate and natural processes.

~

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            I really do think Dark Eras was clear that the Visitors were supposed to be aliens from outer space. I think it even uses the word “symbiote.”
            "Symbiote" just means that a lifeform is living in symbiosis with another, and has nothing to do with any potential extraterrestrial origin.

Comment

The MG I know I saw that word in a sci-fI novel. I know it means in symbiosis with, but symbiotes are a made-up lifeform, right? Like trilobites. (I mean, trilobites aren’t made up but they don’t exist anymore either.)

Comment

The MG I know I saw that word in a sci-fI novel. I know it means in symbiosis with, but symbiotes are a made-up lifeform, right? Like trilobites. (I mean, trilobites aren’t made up but they don’t exist anymore either.)
                Symbiote is a general biological term, not a species.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

White Oak Dragon thank you. I didn’t know that.

Comment

I love your writing.

Comment

I love your writing.
                      Thank you. I’m glad you like it.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                      Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                      Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Working...
                      X