Dark Eras 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Eras 2

Curious what people thought of the Mummy sections in Dark Eras 2. Worth picking up if your a mummy fan?

Loved it!!! The Isireion Prophecies (the era of Cleopatra) in Dark Eras Companion is really good too.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
      Curious what people thought of the Mummy sections in Dark Eras 2. Worth picking up if your a mummy fan?
      Erm.

The Scandinavian Witch Trials is an unexpected treat, just really freaking solid setting work that gives the Arisen (and the Sin-Eaters) a lot to do while also keeping up a game to be afraid with-simultaneously casting them as leaders of the community while also being some of the most suspect, particularly given what the various Guilds are up to in the area and time.. It was one of those jockeying for my top favorites list.
      THe Rise of the Last Imperials....suffers from the same info dump problem that Three Kingdoms of Darkness had, suffers from some weak crossover integration, and mostly kind of just there. For mummies, there's little direction in what the sort of gameplay angle should be (Hunter fairs a little better), so beyond borrowing the same end of empire thing that was going on for The Ruin of Empire, players and ST's will probably scrabbling for a plot thread. It's one of the better low-tier settings (In my reckoning) and still playable, but it doesn't make it easy or evocative.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Went and bought the book. Your right, the witchcraft chapter is quite a fascinating read. Probably need to read it again- the text implied Mummies have some innate way to find gates into the underworld but I don't recall finding the actual rules for such (and on the flipside, didn't find much on the subject of Sineaters helping Mummies to cross rivers and go deeper into the Underworld, which implies they somehow are invisible to Anubis or maybe that there's some metaphysical arrangement between the jackal god and the geists that allows for an exception to the normal rule that he prevents Arisen from getting into the Dominions and such). This part of history is particularly intriguing to me because it delves into a subject I've pondered a bit- how do the Arisen deal with eras of religious oppression and fantacism? Cause as the text notes- Scorpion cults are almost a perfect fit for what your local Inquisitor is hunting for- a vast conspiracy consorting with pagan, heretical gods that traffics in forbidden magics and cursed artifacts. And lucky them, Sybaris in either its subtle or overt forms is basically a bucket of gasoline for a community riven with paranoia and hysteria. And a successful witch hunt has a good chance of probing deep enough to wake up a cranky, unkillable monster ironically able to call down any number of curses worthy of the old testament.

Incidentally, really like the brief look at one of the major cults/meret. I thought taking a handful of Judges worshipped by the Cult and kinda weaving their mandates into the personal motives of the cultists was a nice touch and I hope we see more cults taking that approach.

I need to reread the Chinese chapter. First impression is, well written but too little word count to explore the subject as deeply as it deserves. I'll spare you my rant about Hunter- suffice to say, I hope 2nd edition sees fit to expand the ranks beyond America and Europe when it comes to Compacts and Conspiracies. I like the new Compact native to China, but I was hoping for a Conspiracy, but I doubt page count allowed for a proper treatment of Endowments. Beyond that, liked the Mummy cults and material. Motives felt a little vague (who claimed these artifacts and why? Did I miss that explanation, or is it being left to the ST).

I will admit I don't buy the premise of the Mummies just now finding their way into the Far East. Mummies spread out over the Earth, crisscrossing Europe and Africa, some even journeying to the New World before the founding of Rome. And yet none of them were ever curious where the finely woven silk and heady incense that fetches such a high price in the local markets comes from? The Alchemists and the Laborers especially would be keen to trace a path back down the Asian trade routes. The culture will no doubt feel somewhat alien to the Deathless...but honestly? Would it seem any more or less alien than most of the civilizations outside of Ancient Egypt and Irem? And once an Arisen learns to speak the language(s), the ideas of Confucius and Legalism are going to have a strong appeal- emphasis on tradition, respect for the family, devotions and sacrifices to ancestors and the dead, a centralist society in which all citizens have a place and a function starting with the supreme emperor down to the lowliest laborer, an order imposed and demanded by the gods and carried out by the ruler. Even the mysticism of the Dao as a lifeforce flowing through all things and influenced by landmarks and architecture will have a very familiar ring in the minds of most Mummies. Their cults might start off small and be confined to the edges of the empire. But mummies by their very nature tend to drawn in followers- they both inspire a subtle fear of death and cure that same uncertainty. A native Sadikh to act as the public face of the cult and recruit new members may be required. But I can easily see a mummy posing as a taoist immortal, enlightened Buddhist, or the patron god of a local village or entombed ancestor of a wealthy family...the kind that is honored and prayed to for luck and protection. Hell, depending on how high the current Emperor's occult score happens to be perhaps the Guilds receive an unexpected visitor acting as an envoy, calling upon any willing Deathless to come to the distant court of Imperial Emperor and act as an advisor and mentor on his quest for immortality (it was historically a strong interest, hobby and occasionally an all consuming obsession for more than one emperor in more than one Dynasty).

Ahem, sorry, overdoing it. Point is, Chinese history is deep and full of story potential and it would be a complete waste for the Arisen not to be there well before this chapter places them. At least, from my perspective.

Comment

I buy the Arisen made it out eastwards. I don't think enough was done with it.

Sorry to sound severe, I'm trying to go to sleep.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            I buy the Arisen made it out eastwards. I don't think enough was done with it.

Sorry to sound severe, I'm trying to go to sleep.

Nah, your good.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post

Nah, your good.
              Thanks mate. It's a night.

Comment

Working...
              X