X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leetsepeak
    started a topic Coming from 2e to Mummy

Coming from 2e to Mummy

I played 1e of World of Darkness for a long time and enjoyed it, but by the time GMC was out, I had started to loathe a lot of things about it, things that 2e has pretty much unilaterally fixed for me.

I'm intrigued by Mummy and the concept and all that. But I'm pretty worried about the mechanics, since they're based on 1e and haven't been (and won't be) updated for a long while still.

Are there any hotfixes lying around? Failing those, how has it been to play Mummy for you folks that have been doing a lot of 2e? Is it worthwhile to give it a shot?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

• Possessed
    replied
    Thanks a lot PenDragon, I'll have to take some time to go through your conversion fully but it does solve many issues for me, I disliked the 1st ed NWoD system in the extremes so I have converted MtC for oWoD when using it but I would much rather use it with the rest of the NWoD in it's GMC era which I find rather nice system.

As a side note I agree with you that Memory should be separated from morality, and was quite loud about the matter back when we first got to see it. This is the second time Mummy players are denied character concepts aside from playing saints, yes I know I can play a bastard mummy still but then I sacrifice more than half the game as I cant really participate in flash backs et al since I wont be having them, and yes you can oppose the Judges and still be a bastard, immoral people aren't usually the best people to take orders form someone else. Besides since Shuanksen have no problems with their memories and they are pretty nasty bunch that kinda takes away the argument about monsters not needing memory as the monsters of Mummy are specifically those who have memory. They still have to content with Morality, but it works for them as it does for humans (in 1st edition in GMC I would rather give them the Humanity of B&S rather than Integrity but either works depending on what you want to achieve) and let me stress this again does not in any way or form impair their memories. So their rules basically make any claims of memory being eroded by loosing your moral center sound extremely hollow, somewhat patronizing and most of all condescending as it kinda says that no it's not a basic conceit of the game but we just do not trust you players being able to handle things in a mature manner so we must force you to play the good guy.

I disliked this kind of forced morality in Mummy the Resurrection and I dislike it here but thankfully it is easily solvable by house ruling Memory, sadly that makes it so that I might never be able to play and enjoy Mummy fully since I cannot expect other ST's to play the game according to my house rules. Hence I would rather have official rules that would allow one to play either a saint or a sinner without being denied literally half the experience.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Thanks a lot, PenDragon! This will help me going forward.

And now I'm really, really curious why CAS went 'yikes'.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Okay, that is cool.

What's the benefit to Fearsome Soul if we don't use the Doors system? Because I've always found it unwieldy, the least useful component of the new edition.
    Ah, then just drop the note about doors and have it work every time you exploit their Vice to your benefit.
    Originally posted by CAS View Post

Yikes.
    Yikes what?

Leave a comment:

• CAS
    replied

Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Okay, that is cool.

What's the benefit to Fearsome Soul if we don't use the Doors system? Because I've always found it unwieldy, the least useful component of the new edition.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Oops. Draft artifact. Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Okay, that is interesting. But I am confused: you regain Willpower for following your Purpose? Where does it say that? Also, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Now, to properly answer your question, I'd change them as follows:

Epic Heart: Change the virtue part to say, "whenever the Mummy assists another in fulfilling their virtue she gains a point of willpower back. If she assists another Mummy in furthering his Motivation gain all spent willpower back."

Fearsome Soul: Change the Vice part to say, "whenever the Mummy exploits another's vice to open one or more doors, she regains a point of willpower. "

Rouse the Khaibit: The Mummy temporarily loses her motivation and personal aspiration(s). Whenever she makes appreciable progress towards achieving her purpose, she regains all spent willpower. Whenever the opportunity to pursue her purpose presents itself the Mummy must follow it. Bullet points #1 and #5 go unchanged.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    I asked the question because I don't see how they translate readily to Motivation. So, no, I do feel like I need some guidance there.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Let's see...

Epic Heart: I see no pressing need to change this Affinity, perhaps it could remove the twice per session limit on Virtue recovery, beyond that it all carries over.

Fearsome Soul: Same here, it uses Vice in a way totally compatible with the new system. Though one might want to change the mechanic on the Interrogation power to "if the subject runs out of willpower all remaining doors open".

Rouse the Khaibit: No need to change this either.

Ignore this, and learn from my example: don't post while exhausted. Will answer after sleep.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 12-18-2014, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    I figured I would ask here since others might have similar questions, PenDragon.

How do Affinities such as Epic Heart or Fearsome Soul end up working in this set up? Or Rouse the Khaibit?
    Last edited by Aiden; 12-18-2014, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Well consider me to be putting forward demand!

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiden View Post
    I like PenDragon's house rules and will probably adopt them.

I am curious to have one thing clarified: Does fire still do aggravated damage?
    Thanks. I'm kinda divided on fire, on the one hand it feels kinda like the easy way out vs. Arisen, which I don't want. On the other they need something that can slow them down outside of sustained pummeling and super-strong, pattern sundering magic. I left it in, as something badass to spend pillars on.

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
    Also, are you going to update the Affinities and Utterances in Guildhalls of the Deathless?
    If there is demand I will. Though I'm not updating Affinities, too much work. They still have a good power balance and with few exceptions they are effortless to port.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 11-14-2014, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    I like PenDragon's house rules and will probably adopt them.

I am curious to have one thing clarified: Does fire still do aggravated damage?

Also, are you going to update the Affinities and Utterances in Guildhalls of the Deathless?
    Last edited by Aiden; 11-14-2014, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X