Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jakarta by Starlight (Deceived Actual Play)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see the Deceived knowing about Hunter conspiracies, generally speaking. Those groups are both hidden and the Deceived have to deal with their own broken memories to recall any past encounters. Assuming, of course, that those groups even exist in the setting. The Faithful of Shulpae are around for sure, but the Deceived themselves kind of removed them from Jakarta.

That said, short of a missile strike or its arcane equivalent, I don't see many Hunter groups being able to deal with so many Arisen. Even one is problematic just due to the nature of Sybaris, which has good odds of putting anyone with a combined Resolve and Composure of less than 6 out of the fight before it's even begun. Those with the will to fight are operating at a substantially reduced penalty. And Bast's ability to pull meteors out of the air makes even an aerial attack hard to pull off, as the Deceived themselves discovered. Any attempt to destroy the temple would need to be indirect and carried out from a long way away.

And in the meantime, the Deceived would have to be careful. They're the ones with control of the city. They have a lot more to lose from a major Hunter conspiracy taking a lot of interest in Jakarta. Purely based on statistics, odds are that any interference with supernatural activities in the city is going to impact them rather than their competitors.

Comment

• That's why I added the condition of whether it was even possible. As far as the defenses on the island, Conspiracy level Hunters have some options for bolstering mental fortitude (depending on the Endowments, of course). And I never said it would be easy for them. But generally, they have more numbers to better wage campaigns of attrition. Hunters were just one example.

Can Bast even still throw meteors around? Her Sekhem can't be that high any more.

And yeah, any attention they try to draw down can bite them in turn. But the Deceived are much better at hiding themselves, and besides, that's were the fun in baiting the bear is. :-)

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Secrets Ripped From Skies is bound into Bast's talisman (along with Ancestry of Forgotten Stars). She can always throw meteors around. And I think her Sekhem was somewhere in the 5-6 range at the end of the chronicle. She did have a habit of getting rather frequent descent resets. At least someone had a Judge who liked her.

As for Hunters, the Old Gods' fight against LDI was one example of a meret versus a large "Hunter" conspiracy. I even had LDI using Witness-creating drugs on many of their personnel to offset the whole Sybaris problem. Of course, LDI was hampered by a desire to take Arisen "alive". You do have to work pretty hard to attrition a Mummy though. The best strategy has always seemed to me to be to wait, or maybe to try and make them fail their purpose without ever coming into direct contact with them. The fact is that if you ever succeed in destroying a Mummy, you actually create a worse monster, and if you don't destroy it then it's just going to keep coming back again and again and again anyway. A well informed and equipped conspiracy may have the tools and information they need to wait out the descent, eliminate the cult, and prevent the Mummy from ever being raised. That's about as good a way to stop a Mummy as I can imagine.

It probably doesn't help that Bast's cultists are protected by the ghosts of alien creatures from another planet.

Comment

• That does tend to complicate matters.

Comment

• Azahul : Just what are the Deceived getting up to?

Comment

• Yeesh. Not sure I want to wade into that.

If it was Mummy-related at all, I'd be inclined that it was an attack on the Deceived, more than anything. And not a terribly successful one, by all accounts.

Comment

Working...
              X