Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiding Hands[DECEIVED SPOILERS]-How Do You Hide Stuff from the Temakhs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, yes, but those other Temakhs aren't in your closet, in your head. Harder for them to find out.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
    Work Blog Coming Soon
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Related question: how do we know that being severed from all its Deceived servants wouldn't be a GOOD thing for a Temakh, freeing them to join the other Shan'iatu in Duat as a Judge of Death? I mean, being bound to the Deceived was depicted as a form of imprisonment.

Aside from the assumption that the result would be "you're trapped in limbo, bereft of senses and any means of affecting the world," is there anything to suggest that the Temakhs shouldn't be ENCOURAGING Apotheosis?

Any indication of how the other Shan'iatu respond to attempts at Apotheosis by the Deceived?

And even assuming that losing their Deceived servants wouldn't in and of itself allow the Temakhs to enter Duat, wouldn't any ritual to do so potentially involve mass Apotheosis as a component?

Imagine this as a story hook: all the servants of a particular Temakh achieve Apotheosis. Then, on your next Descent, you notice that Duat is in chaos. Apparently there's a new sheriff in Dodge, and he's PISSED OFF.

Doesn't affect you directly though, unless you're Deceived yourself. You report to a Judge of Life, not Death.

Or does it?

And if you are Deceived, maybe your next awakening comes with explicit instructions: Achieve Apotheosis ASAP.
      Last edited by Xenu's Paradox; 03-29-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

The Temakhs think they'll be left without hand to shape or mouth to speak, and that's enough for them. They want to stay a force in the world, to destroy/vitalize, in their image, civilization (poorly speaking), and they have no idea what would happen to them if theylost their servitors. They've been reduced to spectres already, why risk more?

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          The Temakhs think they'll be left without hand to shape or mouth to speak, and that's enough for them. They want to stay a force in the world, to destroy/vitalize, in their image, civilization (poorly speaking), and they have no idea what would happen to them if theylost their servitors. They've been reduced to spectres already, why risk more?
          Suppose a Deceived uncovers evidence suggesting that losing all their servants would free a Temakh to enter Duat. Maybe it's legit, maybe it's a forgery.

The possibility that it's for real is too good to ignore; the chance that it's a a ruse is too high to risk. So his Temakh orders more research.

Maybe after a few Sothic Turns there's enough evidence to warrant trials... On another Temakh's servants, of course. So he feeds info on Apotheosis to seven Deceived, all serving the same Temakh. He has his own servants running interference so those Deceived will have an easier time hiding what they're doing from their own Temakh. He's careful to keep his own hand hidden so even if his peer figures out what's going on, he won't know who's behind it.

Comment

Sounds great as a chronicle, not as a baseline assumption.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

That's what I was going for, yeah.

Edit: Now imagine that all seven Temakhs have stumbled across said evidence. Each one is running the same game on the servants of a different one of his peers. Each one is so good at hiding his tracks that he thinks he's the only one who's up to this particular scheme.
              Last edited by Xenu's Paradox; 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

A little late to the party on this thread, but throwing in my two cents anyway. This idea does suggest to me a possible route to Apotheosis made simpler. If the Temakh could be CONVINCED by the mummy that Apotheosis would be a benefit to both of them then there's no need to hide the truth. Temakh are already more than a little mad and arrogant. It might be possible via roleplaying to convince it that Ascending will cause that fractured piece of the Judge to return and merge with another, and thus if enough mummies follow the path one day the Temakh will be whole again. Or in the alternative, play up the exhaustion of eternity and the hollowness of a fragmented existence. In short, convince it this curse is misery incarnate and that oblivion would be more merciful. Apotheosis then becomes the mummy's salvation and the temakh's chance at suicide.

Mystically speaking, I'd bet good money there is a relic out there capable of allowing the mummy to act for a limited amount of time without the temakh being aware. In Egyptian mythology Ra was angry that his sister Nut had become pregnant with several children (among them Osiris, Isis, and Set) so he forbid her from giving birth. Thoth took pity on her and challenged Khonsu the moon god to a game of Senet (an egyptian board game). Thoth gambled his knowledge against Khonsu's moonlight (from which time and the passing of days was woven). Upon winning he added an extra day to the year for each of the five gods Nut would give birth two (which is why we have five extra days in each year beyond the nice round 360) without Ra taking notice. In honor of this myth, I'd suggest this hypothetical artifact is a Senet board. A mummy that sits down and moves his pieces as if playing against an unseen opponent will find that the game board magically moves pieces on its own in response. If the mummy wins the game (Intelligence+Composure roll) he gains an automatic Enigma score of 5 (with all the blessings and hardships that go along with being immediately forgotten by all that see him) for 24 hours and can act without the Temakh's awareness. From the Temakh's perspective this time is akin to a dreamless sleep. If the player loses...perhaps roll as if they had committed a sin against Memory (regardless of actual level)?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenu's Paradox View Post

That's what I was going for, yeah.

Edit: Now imagine that all seven Temakhs have stumbled across said evidence. Each one is running the same game on the servants of a different one of his peers. Each one is so good at hiding his tracks that he thinks he's the only one who's up to this particular scheme.

Hilarity Ensues.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Another semi-related idea. What if the Temakh could devise a corrupt form of the Apotheosis that excises the mind of the servant and leaves the Temakh fully in control of the body?

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
                      Another semi-related idea. What if the Temakh could devise a corrupt form of the Apotheosis that excises the mind of the servant and leaves the Temakh fully in control of the body?
                      Check out Lore of the Deceived. There's a Guild Status 5 Affinity that does more or less that.

Comment

That does make me think of an interesting campaign pitch, though. If I recall correctly we're never really told how the Deceived temakhs ended up in their servants' bodies.

We know the Rite of Return worked for the Arisen and how the Shuankhsen came to be, but after reading their supplement I always envisioned the Deceived's creation to be an accident, almost like a by-product of the Shan'iatu's betrayal of the Sixth Guild. So exploring how that came to be might be kind of interesting, but perhaps it's too far in the past to be relevant or even possible to learn about.

Though if your campaign had a bunch of Deceived who were like, "Okay, how do we end our condition for all our kind?" then it would come up

Comment

Well, just as the temakh is in some ways incomprehensible to the human, the reverse is also true. If they knew what it was like to be human, they never would have toyed with it and experienced decline in the first place. Apotheosis may well be so foreign to the temakh that it cannot comprehend its characteristics, but only understand the intention to acquire it. If you can keep quiet about that, you might have a slim chance.

Plus, there's the fact that much of this interaction is really left to you to figure out. The temakh isn't all powerful within the Decieved partnership, and often it can't do anything about whatever its human side wants.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                            Check out Lore of the Deceived. There's a Guild Status 5 Affinity that does more or less that.

I know the Affinity your talking about. Its similar in that it effectively puts the mummy personality to sleep and gives the temankh the driver's seat. But the promise of Apotheosis represents something more than an Affinity. Its a loop hole in the Curse that is the Rite of Return. It allows a Mummy to live forever without The Descent or an assigned Purpose. If a Temakh could indeed twist the Rite to their advantage that would be HUGE for them, since they no doubt regard their current condition as much if not more accursed than what their servants and the Arisen endure (though the servants might disagree on that point). Yes, it comes with a drop in power, but there are already affinities that work around that weakness and the ability to craft new Relics (craft new Seba???) would quickly make up for the loss of raw Sekhem. If there's any true revenge to be had for the Temakh, this isn't a bad first step on that road.

That's my sales pitch for the idea, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X