Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ST Spoilers] A Guide to Mortal Sekhem Sorcerers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
    They reduce the number of dots a relic's rated in, which does what you say, and of course makes it cheaper to have. I'm just wondering if the mandatory curse should do that.
    I'd probably allow players at my table to get the reduction in cost, even if the curse is mandatory. I don't want to mess around too much with what is a pretty decent relic making system.


    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

    Comment


    • #17
      Arise from your Tomb!

      I know that this was conceived with mortals in mind; but MtC also mentions that one of the benefits of Apotheosis is that the Arisen can now manipulate Sekhem. As far as I know, none of the books provide any rules for this; my inclination would be to make your Blasphemies available to Deathless who have achieved Apotheosis. I'm curious as to which elements of Sekhem Sorcery you'd allow these mummies to have, and what advantages (if any) you'd give them.


      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Arise from your Tomb!

        I know that this was conceived with mortals in mind; but MtC also mentions that one of the benefits of Apotheosis is that the Arisen can now manipulate Sekhem. As far as I know, none of the books provide any rules for this; my inclination would be to make your Blasphemies available to Deathless who have achieved Apotheosis. I'm curious as to which elements of Sekhem Sorcery you'd allow these mummies to have, and what advantages (if any) you'd give them.
        *Returns briefly from corpse-like slumber*

        At the very least, I'd give them the Relic Maker merit from Reliquary for free, now that they have regained the full Memory of their lives as artisans.

        I'll make a mental note to revisit this topic after the Dark Eras Companion comes out, as there are rumors that it will contain rules for Sekhem manipulation.


        Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
        Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Octavo View Post

          *Returns briefly from corpse-like slumber*

          At the very least, I'd give them the Relic Maker merit from Reliquary for free, now that they have regained the full Memory of their lives as artisans.

          I'll make a mental note to revisit this topic after the Dark Eras Companion comes out, as there are rumors that it will contain rules for Sekhem manipulation.
          Hopefully, those rules won't clash too much with your ideas, and the ones I put together with someone else on this forum.

          That said, I'm especially eager to see those rules so I can work out some crossover hacks for having major templates use Sekhem Sorcery.


          "My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

            Hopefully, those rules won't clash too much with your ideas, and the ones I put together with someone else on this forum.

            That said, I'm especially eager to see those rules so I can work out some crossover hacks for having major templates use Sekhem Sorcery.
            I've also heard that Mage and Mummy are getting crossover rules in the Mutapa Empire section section, including how Awakened magic (carefully) handles Sekhem. Lots of good stuff ahead!


            Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
            Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Octavo View Post
              Immortality
              Possessed by: No one. Right?

              Orthodoxy: The Arisen, ignorant of the true origins of the Shuankhsen, speculate that lesser empires tried to replicate the Rite of Return, and ended up with only Lifeless, devouring monsters. While, I doubt that this could be true at all, who knows? Maybe someone got a fragment of the original formulae held by the Su-Menet Shan’iatu and only performed the part of the rite that disgraces a corpse and sends it to Ammut.

              Blasphemy: Perhaps occultists did try to reproduce the effect of the Rite of Return, but without chaining oneself to dread underworld masters. Perhaps there were many trials and failures. Perhaps, these innovating occultists looked toward the Shadowy reflection of the World of Darkness, and created the inner and outer paths of purification. Full rules can be found on page 90 of WoD: Immortals. If this rite is an Egyptian attempt to create Deathless, I recommend setting its origin after the devastating Arisen war at the end of the first Sothic turn.
              I think blood bathers deserve a special mention here, since the book has leads to connect them to all the gamelines at the time, and is based on a ritual whose origin is lost to history.

              Comment


              • #22
                I think they deserve a special mention because we might be seeing more of them

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by reseru View Post
                  I think they deserve a special mention because we might be seeing more of them
                  Cool! Looking forward to that possibility.


                  Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                  Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Octavo View Post

                    Demon-sorcerers of Ki-En-Gir
                    The second group of sorcerers were based in Ki-En-Gir, what is now known as Mesopotamia. These demon-sorcerers, the only true rival of the Empire of Irem at its height, may have had a combination of traditions. Some sorcerers had incomprehensible, blasphemous power based in profane, demonic rites. Another sect claimed demi-divinity and made relics. It is not known whether the power to make relics was stolen from Irem. Ultimately, they were subjugated by Irem, their fortress of Ubar was swallowed up by the desert, and their demon-king was tortured to death.
                    After the fall of Irem, Ki-En-Gir flourished, and at the time of the first Sothic turn, much of its sorcerous might remained intact, though it was a matter of rumor.
                    Just to note, the writers who have hinted at their intent with these Ubaid sorcerers have implied that they were not practicing Sekhem Sorcery recognizable by Irem.

                    They were Awakened Mages drawing on the Supernal &/or Abyss.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-27-2016, 02:33 AM.


                    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

                      Just to note, the writers' who have hinted at their intent with these Ubaid sorcerers have implied that they were not practicing Sekhem Sorcery recognizable by Irem.

                      They were Awakened Mages drawing on the Supernal &/or Abyss.
                      Makes sense. I seem to remember that they were covered in Left-Hand Path and referenced in To the Strongest.


                      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Octavo View Post

                        Makes sense. I seem to remember that they were covered in Left-Hand Path and referenced in To the Strongest.

                        Well the Baalim* history we know in Mage goes back to Kish, which is still well in the future of Irem's war with Proto-Sumeria. The city isn't settled till around 3100 bce, a full seven centuries+ after the fall of Irem. That said, there is definitely some sort of intended connection between them and this earlier forgotten empire. (you may recall, in Sothis Ascends' First Turn chapter, it references the dark reputation of the sorcerers of Kish and how the Arisen may recall their old conflict with Ki-En-Gir).

                        *I have no idea why a group of Mesopotamian Mages have a Phoenician name


                        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          Well the Baalim*...
                          *I have no idea why a group of Mesopotamian Mages have a Phoenician name
                          You may well already know this but the word the people of Kish used was 'Bel' which is a variant of Baal.


                          Comment


                          • #28
                            What an excellent thread that I didn't see before Fantastic ideas.

                            You'll be seeing mortal sorcerers receiving a lot of focus in Dark Eras Companion's Cleopatran chapter. A variety of sorcerous cults, none of them particularly nice.


                            Matthew Dawkins
                            Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post

                              You may well already know this but the word the people of Kish used was 'Bel' which is a variant of Baal.

                              Well, it's pretty much the same word (lord, master, etc.), but in Eastern instead of Western Semitic languages.


                              Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

                              Thoughts at mobunited.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                                What an excellent thread that I didn't see before Fantastic ideas.

                                You'll be seeing mortal sorcerers receiving a lot of focus in Dark Eras Companion's Cleopatran chapter. A variety of sorcerous cults, none of them particularly nice.
                                I'm glad you like the thread! I am really looking forward to the Dark Eras Companion! Mage crossover rules in the Mutapa Empire and Sorcerous cults in the Cleopatran chapter. Sounds great.


                                Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                                Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X