X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octavo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
    My memory rules: Modified with your awesome new Conditions.
    The idea of adding more breaking point questions as Memory increases is really cool. Great twist.

Originally posted by Kirby Jerusalem View Post
    Since we're back to talking Memory and I am still throwing down unpolished ideas for people to look at, I integrated Touchstones as player-defined flashes of memories of formative events throughout the ages. You gain one at Memory 1, 4, and 7 and their main purpose is to gain you Sebayt experience when you fulfill your Remnant in accordance or in defiance with that memory - you're rebuilding yourself by reexamining what you did, even if the memory is more a lesson of what not to do.
    Neat idea! Do these Touchstones also give you a +3 to Memory breaking points?

I've been re-examining my Memory Conditions, and I might reshuffle them a bit. I completely forgot about the custom derangements at the end of the Player section of the corebook: Divine Mask, Demon-Haunted, and Anachrony. I might make another condition based on the Sahu disfigurements described on MtC 162.

Leave a comment:

• Kirby Jerusalem
    replied
    Since we're back to talking Memory and I am still throwing down unpolished ideas for people to look at, I integrated Touchstones as player-defined flashes of memories of formative events throughout the ages. You gain one at Memory 1, 4, and 7 and their main purpose is to gain you Sebayt experience when you fulfill your Remnant in accordance or in defiance with that memory - you're rebuilding yourself by reexamining what you did, even if the memory is more a lesson of what not to do.
    Last edited by Kirby Jerusalem; 04-13-2015, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    My memory rules: Modified with your awesome new Conditions.

Memory
    Along with the list of “sins” against Memory found in the Mummy the Curse Rule book. The list is no longer in addition to sins against the Morality Trait from the World of Darkness Rule Book.

Whenever the character would normally gain Sebayt Experience they now gain Sebayt Beats. In addition, should the character achieve a Memory of Four they may answer one of the following questions.

What was the worst thing your character ever did before you took part in the Rite?

What was the worst thing your character could imagine himself doing before the Rite?

What was the worst thing your character can imagine some-one else doing before the Rite?

What does your character hope never to remember?

What was the most traumatic thing that ever happened to the character before taking part in the Rite?

What was the best thing that ever happened to the character?

What is the worst thing you’ve done in the name of your Judge?

What heresy have you committed against the Judges?

What is the worst thing you could imagine doing in the name of your Judge?

What have the Judges forced you to forget?

When confronted by a trigger connected to the character’s answer they may roll Intelligence + Composure.
    When a character experiences a breaking point, the player rolls Resolve + Composure with a modifier based on the character’s Integrity rating:
    Memory Modifier
    8–10 +2
    7–6 +1
    5–4 0
    3–2 –1
    1 –2
    The Storyteller can also impose modifiers based on how harrowing the breaking point is, relative to the character’s experience.

Roll Results
    Dramatic Failure: The character’s world view has been damaged, perhaps beyond repair. The character suffers from traumatic stress. Lose a dot of Memory and choose from the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): False Memories, Fugue, or Madness. Also, take a Beat.

Failure: The character’s world view has been shaken as he gets an rush of memories that he can’t understand causing him to question his sense of self, his ability to relate to people, his own worth in the eyes of his judge. Choose one of the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): Lost, Detached, or Chastened.

Success: The character has a flash of memory, gaining a number of Sebayt Beats equal to successes rolled. He might feel guilty or upset about what the sudden onrush of memories, but he can cope. Choose one of the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): Guilty, Shaken, or Spooked.

Exceptional Success: The character not only rediscovers something he’d lost but and finds further meaning in it, reaffirming his own self-worth. The character regains a point of his defining pillar in addition to gaining 5 or more Sebayt Beats.

Once the character gains his fifth, sixth and seventh level of Memory he may answer another question.
    Last edited by Gnomish American; 04-13-2015, 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot the bit about gaining up to 4 memory triggers as one raises one's memory

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    Nice. I also like the term "Yoke" its provocative.

I was originally going to go with something similar in regards to "who you were" but I like the idea that your Akhu may change as you pillars and memory do. Reclaiming your soul is transformative after all.

Leave a comment:

• Kirby Jerusalem
    replied
    Relooking at this, you and I reach pretty close stuff on the Virtue/Vice stuff, although the dichotomy I went was "What your role as champion of the Judges is" and "Who you were when you were alive, called the Arisen's Calling and Remnant, respectively. Instead of a Calling, the Deceived would have a Yoke reflecting their specific ties to their patrons, and the Shuankshen just had a trait reflecting their mission as the Devourer's servant in their Animus. I'm still playing with the idea of creating technically playable Shuankshen, in which case they can probably find a way to gain a Remnant as well.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    Thanks, I wanted to make sure that Akhu wasn't a "good guy" stat, simply a very human one while Khat feels like a job for the character but can shape a character in surprising ways.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    Thanks for sharing! I like the Akhu and Khat system.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    Actually... I don't know why I thought you did something different with experience... weird. Oh! and pillars are the same cost as yours. (why did I think yours were more expensive)

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    I was just working on typing up memory, though I did finish my take on Virtue, Vice (Akhu and Khet) and Aspirations/Purposes (which are identical to what everyone else has done) the only thing I have written down right now is Monument (think werewolf/vampire touchstone but going back to irem and waiting to be discovered.)...

Experience I just ran with the basic costs, granting 7 experience at Chargen, which would allow them to add an additional dot of an attribute, skill and Merit.

Experience Costs are:

Attributes 4 experiences
    Skills 2 experiences
    Specialties 1 experience
    Merits 1 experience
    Affinity Attainments 3 Experiences
    Fated Attainments 2 Experiences
    Other Attainments 4 Experiences
    Other Fated Attainments 3 Experiences
    Utterances 3 Experiences
    Memory 2 Sebayt Experiences

Attributes cost the same as for everyone else, but the Mummy will still be impressively powerful.

here's what I've already done:
    Mummy 2nd edition
    Stopgap rules
    Anchors

Akhu and Khat
    Instead of Virtue and Vice, Each mummy is driven by the two overarching Manifestation of their five-fold soul; that of the Akhu, the immortal radiant shining being that they were meant to become; and the Khat, the preserved, material body that they have been bound into in their service to the Judges of Duat.

Akhu Archetypes

Competitor
    The competitor relishes engagement and trial. She must test herself against others in all things. She’s never comfortable not knowing if she’s capable or not.
    Single Willpower: Challenge someone clearly your superior.
    All Willpower: Risk Final Death to prove that you can
    handle something.

Conniver
    A Conniver must involve herself deeply in all things. She must have layers of machination for even the most meaningless tasks.
    Single Willpower: Add a layer of meaningless complexity to a plan.
    All Willpower: Refuse to take an action in self-defense without excessive, dangerous plotting.

Cypher
    A Cypher blends with his surroundings, and fits in wherever he may go. He considers no group to be exclusive.
    Single Willpower: Ingratiate yourself to a new social clique.
    All Willpower: Burn an important bridge to guarantee acceptance in a new group.

Hedonist
    A Hedonist exists to see others enjoy themselves. He revels not for only for himself, but to let others bask in his revelry. He’s a master of the art of enjoyment.
    Single Willpower: Ignore a problem or responsibility in favor of immediate gratification.
    All Willpower: Be the last one dancing when the party’s on fire.

Horror
    A horror exists to torment, frighten, and destroy. She loathes the modern world, and spreads that loathing wherever she goes.
    Single Willpower: Cause pain for the sole intention of causing pain.
    All Willpower: Commit a capital crime without additional motive.

Idealist
    An idealist sees a better future, and all things exist within the context of that eventuality. He never accepts compromise, only recognizing a perfect achievement of his goal.
    Single Willpower: Deny a compromise that would water
    down your ideal.
    All Willpower: Refuse safety for fear of abandoning your
    ideal’s purity.

Martyr
    A martyr puts others before herself in all things. She’s
    concerned with community and the cause, over her own safety and reputation.
    Single Willpower: Take another’s burden upon yourself
    without expecting recompense.
    All Willpower: Put yourself at risk to save someone else or

Nurturer
    A nurturer cares for others, and tries to bolster them to comfort and greatness. He protects and fosters, measuring his success by the success of others.
    Single Willpower: Put yourself out to help another succeed.
    All Willpower: Take full responsibility for another’s dangerous mistake.

Perfectionist
    A perfectionist never settles for success; nothing short of flawless accomplishment is enough. She revisits and tinkers
    with any minor imperfections, to the point of excess.
    Single Willpower: Revisit an already successful action to hammer out a flaw.
    All Willpower: Stick with a failed and dangerous plan, in order to fix what went wrong.

Visionary
    A Visionary has a clear picture in his head. This picture is of something bigger, something greater. It’s his life’s work to show that vision to the world.
    Single Willpower: Help someone by sharing your vision with them.
    All Willpower: Put yourself at risk to show a group the power of your vision.

Khat Archetypes

Devotee
    A Devotee needs direction, and is loathe to come up with it on his own. He devotes much of his attention to finding the right person to offer that direction.
    Single Willpower: Follow a directive blindly, for the sake of following.
    All Willpower: Follow a dangerous directive without hesitation.

Emissary
    An Emissary infiltrates, and uncovers intelligence that others wish to keep hidden. She does whatever the situation demands in order to uncover hidden truths.
    Single Willpower: Build a new contact or uncover a secret.
    All Willpower: Uncover a damning secret that could end someone.

Flagellant
    A flagellant embodies regret and lessons learned. He cannot make a mistake and allow it to go unpunished. The only sin is to mistake without learning.
    Single Willpower: Punish yourself for a mistake.
    All Willpower: Risk death to correct an egregious error in judgment.

High Priest
    A High Priest wants for faith and devotion. He may have faith and devotion of his own, but he wants for a group to adore him and his word above all. This may or may not be a religious cult.
    Single Willpower: Convince someone to deny logic because
    of your word.
    All Willpower: Risk exile or death to defend your cult’s belief system.

Inquisitor
    An Inquisitor cannot accept anything at face value. She must poke and prod, finding the holes in logic and function. She asks the questions that everyone else wants to ask.
    Single Willpower: Challenge an accepted truth.
    All Willpower: Put a long-believed truth to the test, at your own peril.

Law-Giver
    A Law-Giver needs structure. He can be on top of it, or on the bottom of it, but he must adhere to some external concept and hierarchy in order to feel complete.
    Single Willpower: Choose an obviously disadvantageous path, because it fits with protocol.
    All Willpower: Stand by the losing side with shield at the ready, because it’s your side.

Overseer
    The Overseers were the slave drivers and task masters of Irem, quick with a flail and eager to pin the blame for his own shortcoming on those beneath him.
    Single Willpower: Find someone to take responsibility for your mistake.
    All Willpower: Mete out physical punishment for another’s failure, beyond the point of safety and reason.

Pharaoh
    An authoritarian must be on top. She prides herself not in competition, but in control. She must assert her superiority and dominance whenever possible.
    Single Willpower: Shut down an inferior trying to rise to your level of power.
    All Willpower: Commit a widespread hit against a rival’s mortal connections.

Scholar
    A scholar must study, and must learn. She’s never satisfied with base explanation; she must always dig deeper and uncover the truths behind the truths.
    Single Willpower: Uncover a lost piece of information.
    All Willpower: Uncover forbidden knowledge.

Vizier
    A vizier lives to learn, and to impart that knowledge to others. She’s a repository and font of wisdom on every topic she can manage to study.
    Single Willpower: Give advice that someone uses to succeed.
    All Willpower: Give protected, dangerous information without asking for payment.

Monuments
    Monuments seem rare among the Arisen. Possessing an object that links you to an ill-remembered life that ended more than six millennia ago does little to moor the power the Mummy’s memory against the ravages of time and the deleterious effect of the Rite of Return.

What none realize is that most Mummies already possess such Monuments, they are the relics that act as the focal point of their Life Web, their Canopic Jars, and the Vessels that never find their way into the arms of the Judges.

These Monuments are powerful anchors but they mean nothing to those who have no memory of their true import.

Once a Mummy achieves Memory six, their player may choose one item amongst the various vessels and trinkets within their tomb and declare it their Mummy’s Monument, an object of great personal significance that they only now recall. Once they possess this Touchstone they gain some respite from the weight of their own memory, should the judges attempt to

Purposes
    Each Mummy begins play with three Purposes rather than Aspirations thought they do act in near identical capacity to a mortal’s aspirations they are outside the control of the Mummy himself.

The First Purpose is granted to the Mummy as it rises from its tomb, either granted by his Cult, the theft of his Relic or more rarely, his Judge.

The character’s second purpose is one made by his Memory, this purpose is identical to a mortal’s Long Term Aspiration and is associated with the character’s long forgotten mortal hopes and dreams.

The Character’s Final Purpose is granted by his Judge and is directly inspired by that Judge’s own duty.

I'll have memory up later, but the long and short is that The way of losing memory is the same as yours (I think) BUT when one gains Memory 4 you may ask one of 5 questions (similar to the ones for integrity) when Triggered you roll Intelligence + Composure each success granting 1 sebayt beat. At memory 5, 6, and 7 you can answer another question.
    Last edited by Gnomish American; 04-12-2015, 10:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
    While I do plan on using me own Experience chart and memory system, this is pure gold Octavo. Thank you for putting so much work into things I didn't even think of.
    Thank you! I'm curious, how did you handle Experience and Memory?

Leave a comment:

• Gnomish American
    replied
    While I do plan on using me own Experience chart and memory system, this is pure gold Octavo. Thank you for putting so much work into things I didn't even think of.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    That is pretty epic!

Leave a comment:

• Kirby Jerusalem
    replied
    Originally posted by Octavo View Post

I'm definitely curious about the buffs and changes you're planning for your hack. One thing I'd like to see addressed in an official update is how the Judges' own moral purviews relate to the Arisen. So far, our group has had the Mummies internalize the Judge's morals. If a Judge hates blasphemy, the Arisen who serves that judge purges the heretics.
    Sure, I'll lay one out, I could use the fresh eyes and commentary.

The most complete buff is one for Sealing the Flesh, where I used new Gauru as a balancing point. The way it works is that when you Seal the Flesh, you heal all bashing and lethal at the beginning of your turn, and you have general armor equal to half your Sekhem (so a freshly awakened Mummy has a stunning 5/0 armor rating). As a clarification, sources that are still lethal (like supernatural sources since my mummies take damage like 2e vamps) still do 1 bashing damage as normal, and all aggravated sources deal a minimum of 1 agg. Mummies are still unkillable while they're sealing.

On paper, that sounds really, really strong, bordering on broken. The part that makes me think this is okay is that Mummies heal all damage once per round as opposed to everyone's turn, and Sealing the Flesh still takes Pillar points to activate. The armor is supposed to get you through the round until you can heal, which is absurdly easy when you're right out of the tomb rocking 5/0 but not so much when you're near the end of the Descent - you can still spend 1 pillar to heal up all your bashing/lethal wounds outside of combat, but a roomful of guys with guns will leave you dead on the ground. I need playtesting to tell whether or not it's going to be alright as intended or if this version is too strong.

If anyone reading this wants to give this a shot, feel free and let me know how it turns out!
    Last edited by Kirby Jerusalem; 04-11-2015, 03:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    Looks like a nice light update for 2E rules. I like the Memory conditions, might poach a few of them for my own homebrew.

However, IMO, Mummies need a bit of a power bump coming into 2E. Especially if they are going to be playing alongside Demons, Vampires and Werewolves under the new rules.
    Thank you for the kind words! I didn't realize you had your own Mummy homebrew. I'm enjoying reading it - it has some very different design goals than mine does and I might refer to it in case I run into any difficulties adjudicating power use since you've done such an extensive overhaul of Utterances. I especially like how you replaced Virtue and Vice with (the Judge's) Purpose and (Mummy's) Motivation.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Looks like a nice light update for 2E rules. I like the Memory conditions, might poach a few of them for my own homebrew.

However, IMO, Mummies need a bit of a power bump coming into 2E. Especially if they are going to be playing alongside Demons, Vampires and Werewolves under the new rules.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X