No announcement yet.

Mummy: the Curse 2E Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I wanted to make sure that Akhu wasn't a "good guy" stat, simply a very human one while Khat feels like a job for the character but can shape a character in surprising ways.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

Relooking at this, you and I reach pretty close stuff on the Virtue/Vice stuff, although the dichotomy I went was "What your role as champion of the Judges is" and "Who you were when you were alive, called the Arisen's Calling and Remnant, respectively. Instead of a Calling, the Deceived would have a Yoke reflecting their specific ties to their patrons, and the Shuankshen just had a trait reflecting their mission as the Devourer's servant in their Animus. I'm still playing with the idea of creating technically playable Shuankshen, in which case they can probably find a way to gain a Remnant as well.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
      - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Nice. I also like the term "Yoke" its provocative.

I was originally going to go with something similar in regards to "who you were" but I like the idea that your Akhu may change as you pillars and memory do. Reclaiming your soul is transformative after all.

Call Me Ray.

Comment

My memory rules: Modified with your awesome new Conditions.

Memory
          Along with the list of “sins” against Memory found in the Mummy the Curse Rule book. The list is no longer in addition to sins against the Morality Trait from the World of Darkness Rule Book.

Whenever the character would normally gain Sebayt Experience they now gain Sebayt Beats. In addition, should the character achieve a Memory of Four they may answer one of the following questions.

What was the worst thing your character ever did before you took part in the Rite?

What was the worst thing your character could imagine himself doing before the Rite?

What was the worst thing your character can imagine some-one else doing before the Rite?

What does your character hope never to remember?

What was the most traumatic thing that ever happened to the character before taking part in the Rite?

What was the best thing that ever happened to the character?

What is the worst thing you’ve done in the name of your Judge?

What heresy have you committed against the Judges?

What is the worst thing you could imagine doing in the name of your Judge?

What have the Judges forced you to forget?

When confronted by a trigger connected to the character’s answer they may roll Intelligence + Composure.
          When a character experiences a breaking point, the player rolls Resolve + Composure with a modifier based on the character’s Integrity rating:
          Memory Modifier
          8–10 +2
          7–6 +1
          5–4 0
          3–2 –1
          1 –2
          The Storyteller can also impose modifiers based on how harrowing the breaking point is, relative to the character’s experience.

Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: The character’s world view has been damaged, perhaps beyond repair. The character suffers from traumatic stress. Lose a dot of Memory and choose from the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): False Memories, Fugue, or Madness. Also, take a Beat.

Failure: The character’s world view has been shaken as he gets an rush of memories that he can’t understand causing him to question his sense of self, his ability to relate to people, his own worth in the eyes of his judge. Choose one of the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): Lost, Detached, or Chastened.

Success: The character has a flash of memory, gaining a number of Sebayt Beats equal to successes rolled. He might feel guilty or upset about what the sudden onrush of memories, but he can cope. Choose one of the following Conditions (or create a new one with Storyteller approval): Guilty, Shaken, or Spooked.

Exceptional Success: The character not only rediscovers something he’d lost but and finds further meaning in it, reaffirming his own self-worth. The character regains a point of his defining pillar in addition to gaining 5 or more Sebayt Beats.

Once the character gains his fifth, sixth and seventh level of Memory he may answer another question.
          Last edited by Gnomish American; 04-13-2015, 01:04 AM. Reason: Forgot the bit about gaining up to 4 memory triggers as one raises one's memory

Call Me Ray.

Comment

Since we're back to talking Memory and I am still throwing down unpolished ideas for people to look at, I integrated Touchstones as player-defined flashes of memories of formative events throughout the ages. You gain one at Memory 1, 4, and 7 and their main purpose is to gain you Sebayt experience when you fulfill your Remnant in accordance or in defiance with that memory - you're rebuilding yourself by reexamining what you did, even if the memory is more a lesson of what not to do.
            Last edited by Kirby Jerusalem; 04-13-2015, 11:03 AM.

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
              My memory rules: Modified with your awesome new Conditions.
              The idea of adding more breaking point questions as Memory increases is really cool. Great twist.

Originally posted by Kirby Jerusalem View Post
              Since we're back to talking Memory and I am still throwing down unpolished ideas for people to look at, I integrated Touchstones as player-defined flashes of memories of formative events throughout the ages. You gain one at Memory 1, 4, and 7 and their main purpose is to gain you Sebayt experience when you fulfill your Remnant in accordance or in defiance with that memory - you're rebuilding yourself by reexamining what you did, even if the memory is more a lesson of what not to do.
              Neat idea! Do these Touchstones also give you a +3 to Memory breaking points?

I've been re-examining my Memory Conditions, and I might reshuffle them a bit. I completely forgot about the custom derangements at the end of the Player section of the corebook: Divine Mask, Demon-Haunted, and Anachrony. I might make another condition based on the Sahu disfigurements described on MtC 162.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
              Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
              Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

You also have Beat criteria on Conditions which aren't Persistent, and your Persistent Conditions don't have Beat criteria.
                Not to nit-pick.
                I did a little re-working of them for my own campaign, I could post what I did as humble suggestions if you want?

My Promethean Homebrew.

Yes, I made it the same way as a Promethean. No, the authorities haven't found me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                  Neat idea! Do these Touchstones also give you a +3 to Memory breaking points?
                  I hadn't really thought about it but sure, that sounds about right. They were meant to be mostly reverse-Breaking Points, something that the players could latch onto to rebuild themselves. That lends pretty well to giving bonus to breaking points as well.

(I really wanted to call them Pillars, but, well...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Quo View Post
                    You also have Beat criteria on Conditions which aren't Persistent, and your Persistent Conditions don't have Beat criteria.
                    Not to nit-pick.
                    I did a little re-working of them for my own campaign, I could post what I did as humble suggestions if you want?
                    Oh, I somehow missed that detail. Thanks for the catch!

I'd be happy to see how you've reworked them!

Originally posted by Kirby Jerusalem View Post
                    I hadn't really thought about it but sure, that sounds about right. They were meant to be mostly reverse-Breaking Points, something that the players could latch onto to rebuild themselves. That lends pretty well to giving bonus to breaking points as well.

(I really wanted to call them Pillars, but, well...)
                    I think someone upthread mentioned Monuments as a potential name for Mummy touchpoints.

Comment

Here are the Mummy specific derangements reworked as Conditions:

Divine Mask (Persistent):
                      The mummy believes that, like a pharaoh, he is the bau—the manifest power—of a god. The Arisen rejects his mortal heritage and assigns the Judges a secondary role, preferring to believe that he has become an aspect of Re, Esit, Sutek, Ptah, or another deity. He’s aware that he’s supposed to behave like he serves the Judges, and in most cases, he is able to keep the “revelation” of his divinity to himself and rationalize his continued service. Some cults expect this derangement because they already believe the Deathless is a living god, making it especially difficult for their Arisen master to throw off the delusion of his own will.
                      Possible sources: Memory loss, chasing magical resources while ignoring the opportunities your Judges give you to stave off Descent, terrorizing your cult with casual cruelty, surrounding oneself with trappings of personal power.
                      Resolution: Face proof that your memory is false and succeed a Memory roll, or gain a point of Memory.
                      Beat: If the mummy ever fails a Composure-based dice roll (besides Initiative), or if a power overcomes the mummy’s Composure as a resisted Attribute, he loses the ability to moderate his delusion and behaves as if he is the god’s bau for a scene.

Demon Haunted:
                      When the mummy suffers a setback, she feels the knives of Duat at her back. After a significant delay in achieving an objective, roll her Resolve + Composure. If the roll fails, the Arisen sees the Underworld’s Slaughterers in the shadows, or believes they inhabit the bodies of people she sees. If the former, she stays away from the shadows where she believes Slaughterers hide, insisting on strong lighting everywhere she goes. If she thinks demons dwell in the people around her, she interprets whatever they say as threats urging her to complete her mission or suffer torment in the Underworld. The Arisen might attack her task with extra vigor, flee, or attack the “Slaughterers” around her.
                      Possible sources: Sekhem loss, significant delay in achieving an objective.
                      Resolution: Achieve the delayed objective, achieve a Descent reset.
                      Beat: N/A

Anachrony:
                      The mummy’s ability to separate past and present cracks. He fills the gaps with the delusion of walking through a previous Descent –though not necessarily one he actually experienced.
                      When he can control his delusions, he believes a veil of illusion conceals the “true” age. The Roman Empire (or Old Kingdom, or Irem itself) never ended—it’s the occult nucleus of a degenerate, false era. To the afflicted, the Washington Monument is a newly erected obelisk praising Ramses II. The mummy actually lives in Egypt, and the “New World” is a sham. The Arisen completely retreats into the fantasy of another time, translating anything he experiences into what would make perfect sense in his remembered (or at least, imagined) world. This lasts for the scene.
                      Possible sources: Memory Loss, Rising from henet with a Memory below 4.
                      Resolution: When the mummy suffers stress or failure because he has trouble adapting to the modern age, roll his Resolve + Composure. If the roll fails, the Arisen completely retreats into the fantasy of another time, translating anything he experiences into what would make perfect sense in his remembered (or at least, imagined) world. This lasts for the scene.
                      Beat: N/A

False Incarnation (Persistent):
                      To stave off loneliness, the mummy convinces herself that a mortal is the reincarnation of an important figure of a past Descent: lover, ruler, friend, or hated rival. The target of this delusion often resembles his “incarnation” in appearance, voice, or demeanor. The Arisen takes that as definitive evidence and hallucinates a little more to back it up.
                      Possible sources: Extreme loneliness, Seeing a familiar face, but being unable to place it.
                      Resolution: The incarnation dies or finds a way to persistently sever contact. This condition will likely be transferred to a new object, unless the mummy regains Memory.
                      Beat: When the mummy suffers a social setback, roll her Resolve + Composure. On a failure, the Arisen acts on her delusion, seeking out her fixation with the grace and caution of a dedicated stalker. The behavior lasts for a scene.

Comment

Has anyone here been following the Beast the Primordial thread on Rpg.net? Supposedly there is a post there mentioning that Mummy isn't going to be a closed game line and eventually get more supplements but I can't find it so far.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Not entirely surprising, because I'm pretty sure Onyx Path has said before that there is no longer any such thing as a limited line, and that they will expand all of the games if and when they have the time and resources for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                            Not entirely surprising, because I'm pretty sure Onyx Path has said before that there is no longer any such thing as a limited line, and that they will expand all of the games if and when they have the time and resources for it.
                            They did. I'd still like to see the official word on it since we just recently had the Sothis book pegged as the last of the line.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Barring Dreams of Avarice, Rio, and the Fiction Anthology of course...

But yes, any other books beyond that aren't even on the development schedule yet, so they're going to be a while coming.

Comment

Nothing is a closed game line in the Onyx Path era.

Aaand ninja'd
                                Last edited by Aiden; 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM. Reason: Ninja'd

Revlid wrote:
                                Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

Working...
                                X