X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shkspr1048
    started a topic On Nephilpal's Oncoming Terrible Something

On Nephilpal's Oncoming Terrible Something

Well, it's been about two months since last we heard of Nephilpal's latest gift to the fans. Has anyone heard any gossip on it?

• glamourweaver
    replied
    It might have been held back till 2nd Edition at this point

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    Not that I know of, but hopefully it has just stalled. Or maybe it was rolled into another release.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Apologies for the necro, but did anything ever come of this? Apparently literal years have passed and I didn't notice.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    ...so that's a no, then?

OK, how about this; is the hint of what's to come in the Darwin quote itself, or is it hidden in something that uses the quote as a reference point, like that song that LostLight mentioned?

PS - As for Non-Iremite Mummies, I going to start a new thread so as not to de-rail this one.
    Well. it's not not a no, but it's not a no either. Six of one, half a dozen of another, lies and deceit and marshmallow sprinkles, with a little bit of caramel drizzled on top, some sea salt, a cherry, some smoked bacon at the base for contrast, oh, those palm shoots things from my youth that I don't remember the name of, zap it all in lime, slight burn of pepper, zap it all again in lime.

I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore.

Whatever. No straight answers, just opinions.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I am a terrible person, a terrible person who both revels in the cannibalism of Santa Claus in front of small, desperately wishing children, and a heathen who hates the idea of non-Iremite mummies like Pharaoh hated him some free Jews.

A terrible person indeed.
    ...so that's a no, then?

OK, how about this; is the hint of what's to come in the Darwin quote itself, or is it hidden in something that uses the quote as a reference point, like that song that LostLight mentioned?

PS - As for Non-Iremite Mummies, I going to start a new thread so as not to de-rail this one.
    Last edited by shkspr1048; 04-28-2016, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied
    Sure, and you're quoting what my response would be to that

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by reseru View Post
    Right, that's kind of what I mean. Like I was thinking in my head what other options there are (successor Rite) but even that, as someone that wants non-Iremite Mummies, I would admittedly prefer creating some other monstrosity rather than some breed of Mummy
    Well, What Is A Mummy? What defines A as a Mummy, but not B? The Rite of Return was supposed to be singular, and its nature would be degraded a bit if there was a copycat. If it was imperfect, and resulted in something that is different, how is that not Prometheans, or Vampires, or Reborn, or Purified, or Abmortals, or any other Lifeless that already exists?

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied
    That's why I want a Mummy Night Horrors book so much. Wicked Dead sold me on Vampire; I think it's the perfect kind of book to explore the fringe dark corners of Mummy's universe

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Right, that's kind of what I mean. Like I was thinking in my head what other options there are (successor Rite) but even that, as someone that wants non-Iremite Mummies, I would admittedly prefer creating some other monstrosity rather than some breed of Mummy
    Yeah. Before the game came out, I was heavily into the idea of mummies from around the world. Now it has, I would prefer, say, the Mallqui of the Andes, to be fully different beings - at least as different from mummies as the Kuei-jin were from Kindred in Vampre the Masquerade - or for an NWoD comparison, perhaps as different as Antagonists' or Wicked Dead's Aswang were from Kindred.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    IIt doesn't matter who they were in life during the Nameless Empire if they've spent the last thousand years as a Central American blood god or immortal alchemist in the mountains of Tibet, complete with the face and Cult to match.
    However, I've never been keen on this particular argument. The metaphysics under which the Deathless operate are heavily informed by Egypt, the animal forms they partake after aren't native to all the regions we might get mummies, the types of relic the game centres round aren't all either. And it sounds an awful lot like "well, the character can always be completely deluded."
    Last edited by SunlessNick; 04-28-2016, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied
    That's another reason I can't justify non-Iremite Mummies. I think it can be done but it'll take a minute to think of something suitable. Creating other Lifeless, yes, but how to make them different than Shuankhsen?

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    I figure if you want honest-to-God, rise at Sekhem 10 and throw Utterances around Arisen that aren't obviously Egyptian/Iremite... they're already in the game. There's a reason our protagonists are amnesiacs, and the combination of being Twice-Arisen and having low Memory ostensibly means your character can believe whatever they hell they want. It doesn't matter who they were in life during the Nameless Empire if they've spent the last thousand years as a Central American blood god or immortal alchemist in the mountains of Tibet, complete with the face and Cult to match.

Later cultures attempts to replicate the Rite are doomed to fail, because they A) aren't orchestrated by the Shan'iatu, and B) aren't fueled by the sacrifice of an entire civilization. Creating confused Lifeless is totally kosher, however.

Just my feelings in the matter, though I could obviously be swayed by a sufficiently awesome case made to the contrary.

Leave a comment:

• nothri
    replied
    I think I'm the only Mummy diehard that really wants non-Iremite Mummies. I considered trying to fit it in for the 10k Dark Eras expansion but I felt like it'd be pushing my luck.

It's hard to find design space for them, though. What kind of threat are they that Shuankhsen don't cover? There's enough Affinities, Utterances, rituals, and relics to raise up undead minions, so we don't need more of that. Sadikh really cover a 'lesser' kind of Mummy.

If there was a successor culture that attempted to mimic the Rite of Return I'd rather it unintentionally create living abominations rather than an empowered corpse sorcerer
    You are not. I would love to see these as well. And why not use the Lifeless for this kind of thing? That was suggested a long time ago, and its a category that could use a little expansion. I'd love to see some creatively unique undead menaces based on different societies.

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    I am a Mummy diehard who really dislikes non-Iremite Mummies, but what you're suggesting reseru isn't actually something I'd consider a Mummy. Relic-spawned abominations are a perfectly valid category of enemies (arguably one that exist in the game as written, honestly) and have no need to be tied to Irem. The Blasphemous Depiction is the canon example, but some variant with an Incan or Chinese backstory can give you culturally specific horrors all within the context of the Mummy universe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X