Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a Mummy and 5 Werewolves walk into a bar...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds like it could be quite interesting. Would you mind letting us know how it turns out?

Comment

I am curious how a mummy, even a newly awakened one, could take on a pack of werewolves. The garou form has crazy regeneration. How could a newly awakened mummy take on a whole pack?

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
        I am curious how a mummy, even a newly awakened one, could take on a pack of werewolves. The garou form has crazy regeneration. How could a newly awakened mummy take on a whole pack?
        In Werewolf terms, a Mummy awakens at Primal Urge 10, and has access to powers like "drop a hail of asteroids across a several mile radius, killing all those caught within." They have regeneration nearly as good as that of Gauru form, and can come back from death nearly instantly at almost no penalty.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

I was given the link to this thread in one I started. All this is very eye opening about the Arisen. Especially, the "Un-killable murder machine" reference. This topic is for werewolves fighting a mummy. I want to use a Mummy as the antagonist of my Mortals CofD game. I think it will mostly be about the cultists that surround the mummy. maybe have him/her awake for a while and maybe find a magic mcGuffin to speed up the decent. They think they've beaten the Arisen only to have it come back again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_485_1538393298974_786[/ATTACH]

Comment

For a mortals game, you really want to put the cultists forward as primary visible antagonists, with the threat of the mummy looming in the background.

Alternately, have their first encounter with the mummy occur near the end of her descent, in the Sekhem 1-3 range, and away from her tomb and the cult. Such a mummy should still give mortal PCs a run for their money, but with diminished attribute buffs and no access to highest tier Utterances, they may survive and even succeed at thwarting the mummy's plans.

Then, have them become the cult's primary targets. Drop some hints so they understand how lucky they were to have met the mummy at her weakest. Then, after a couple sessions of playing cat and mouse with the cultists, end the game by narrating a scene of the cult resurrecting the mummy again, and sending her after the PCs. Do this right, and the players should crap their pants on the spot.

Comment

I was thinking about the Arisen being the source of the increased supernatural activity in the area. Some how the players figure this out and when they get close the cult moves her. Kind of like a Masquerade vamp in torpor affecting their surroundings.

Comment

I can immediately see two problems with that scenario:

1. Canonically, mummies spend their "slumber" in Duat, and their corpses are magically inert until something happens to wake them up again.

2. Why would the cultists go through all the hassle of relocating the mummy (who won't be very happy about it once she finds out) when all they're up against is a bunch of mortals? Either killing them, or actually letting them into the tomb so the mummy can kill them personally and bind their ghosts and bodies into eternal servitude as punishment for their indiscretions are the much more likely scenarios as far as cultists are concerned.

#1 can easily be ignored, or if you're a stickler for canon, a powerful relic in mummy's possession can be the cause of supernatural disturbances rather than the mummy herself.

#2 is a bigger issue, as the scenario sounds about as plausible as Secret Service evacuating the White House because five mean-looking hobos have been seen snooping around the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post

1. Canonically, mummies spend their "slumber" in Duat, and their corpses are magically inert until something happens to wake them up again.

2. Why would the cultists go through all the hassle of relocating the mummy (who won't be very happy about it once she finds out) when all they're up against is a bunch of mortals? Either killing them, or actually letting them into the tomb so the mummy can kill them personally and bind their ghosts and bodies into eternal servitude as punishment for their indiscretions are the much more likely scenarios as far as cultists are concerned.

#1 can easily be ignored, or if you're a stickler for canon, a powerful relic in mummy's possession can be the cause of supernatural disturbances rather than the mummy herself.

#2 is a bigger issue, as the scenario sounds about as plausible as Secret Service evacuating the White House because five mean-looking hobos have been seen snooping around the premises.
                  Well, it depends how much of a nuisance and risk those 5 hobos have previously proven themselves to be, doesn't it?

I could see a skilled mortal group, with a history of foiling the cult, prompting that kind of response in certain situations.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I think the mummy is just going to be way to powerful for a group of mortals to tangle with. i may have to change my plans... a lot. I am filling in the area with points of interest. Perhaps I'll leave the Free Mason temple that secretly protects an Arisen in the game and hope they don't need to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      I could see a skilled mortal group, with a history of foiling the cult, prompting that kind of response in certain situations.
                      From a mummy cult? Can you imagine these cultists explaining to their undead god that he needs a new tomb built because the last one got discovered by a couple humans? Can you imagine any of the cultists walking away alive from this conversation?

Comment

From a mummy cult? Can you imagine these cultists explaining to their undead god that he needs a new tomb built because the last one got discovered by a couple humans? Can you imagine any of the cultists walking away alive from this conversation?
                        Consider if those humans might have brought in interference by a government agency. I doubt the mummy would appreciate having their remains and possessions confiscated. Also, having one's tomb burnt down around one's Khat is not very conductive towards starting your next Descent.

Mortals can cause problems for Mummies and their Cults. Underestimating that will lead to misfortune.

Comment

Consider if those humans might have brought in interference by a government agency. I doubt the mummy would appreciate having their remains and possessions confiscated.
                          This is, admittedly, the only scenario where I can see the cult relocating rather than risking confrontation - but even then, not as a first option.

Also, having one's tomb burnt down around one's Khat is not very conductive towards starting your next Descent.
                          Any mummy stupid enough to lay her bones in a non-fireproof tomb deserves her fate.

Mortals can cause problems for Mummies and their Cults. Underestimating that will lead to misfortune.
                          Cause problems? Sure. Cause an immortal demigod and his secret society of lackeys to abandon the former's most prized possession and the latter's sanctum sanctorum? Not seeing it, unless there's at least a thousand of them.

Comment

Any mummy stupid enough to lay her bones in a non-fireproof tomb deserves her fate.
                            Bombs are also things. It depends on the tomb.

Cause problems? Sure. Cause an immortal demigod and his secret society of lackeys to abandon the former's most prized possession and the latter's sanctum sanctorum? Not seeing it, unless there's at least a thousand of them.
                            The "immortal demigod" is only as relevant as they are present. In the example situation, they aren't (yet). Other factors are just how large and/or entrenched are the cult, and how long it's been since a visit from their god.

Additionally, the mortal investigators don't even need to be the full reason for the move - the mummy could have left instructions to do so if there was a risk of being found out, or it could have been prearranged, and the PCs just happen to be looking into the cult at the time.

Comment

It's notable that attuned Vestiges actually do influence the surrounding area. No real mechanics for it, but it's the kind of thing that works well for this.

Comment

Bombs are also things. It depends on the tomb.
                                A bomb going off in the tomb would almost certainly wake the Mummy.

Comment

Working...
                                X