Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a Mummy and 5 Werewolves walk into a bar...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karpomatic
    replied
    I was thinking about the Arisen being the source of the increased supernatural activity in the area. Some how the players figure this out and when they get close the cult moves her. Kind of like a Masquerade vamp in torpor affecting their surroundings.

Leave a comment:

• Morangias
    replied
    For a mortals game, you really want to put the cultists forward as primary visible antagonists, with the threat of the mummy looming in the background.

Alternately, have their first encounter with the mummy occur near the end of her descent, in the Sekhem 1-3 range, and away from her tomb and the cult. Such a mummy should still give mortal PCs a run for their money, but with diminished attribute buffs and no access to highest tier Utterances, they may survive and even succeed at thwarting the mummy's plans.

Then, have them become the cult's primary targets. Drop some hints so they understand how lucky they were to have met the mummy at her weakest. Then, after a couple sessions of playing cat and mouse with the cultists, end the game by narrating a scene of the cult resurrecting the mummy again, and sending her after the PCs. Do this right, and the players should crap their pants on the spot.

Leave a comment:

• karpomatic
    replied
    I was given the link to this thread in one I started. All this is very eye opening about the Arisen. Especially, the "Un-killable murder machine" reference. This topic is for werewolves fighting a mummy. I want to use a Mummy as the antagonist of my Mortals CofD game. I think it will mostly be about the cultists that surround the mummy. maybe have him/her awake for a while and maybe find a magic mcGuffin to speed up the decent. They think they've beaten the Arisen only to have it come back again.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
    I am curious how a mummy, even a newly awakened one, could take on a pack of werewolves. The garou form has crazy regeneration. How could a newly awakened mummy take on a whole pack?
    In Werewolf terms, a Mummy awakens at Primal Urge 10, and has access to powers like "drop a hail of asteroids across a several mile radius, killing all those caught within." They have regeneration nearly as good as that of Gauru form, and can come back from death nearly instantly at almost no penalty.

Leave a comment:

• maryshelly
    replied
    I am curious how a mummy, even a newly awakened one, could take on a pack of werewolves. The garou form has crazy regeneration. How could a newly awakened mummy take on a whole pack?

Leave a comment:

• MrBreaksIt
    replied
    This sounds like it could be quite interesting. Would you mind letting us know how it turns out?

Leave a comment:

• VoragoSolitude
    replied
    A straight up Mummy the Curse mummy, fresh out of his/her sarcophagus, is more like a force of nature, less like a person. He blows through tomb passages as a tornado of scarab beetles and poisonous blood, momentarily coalescing into the form of a seven-foot-tall gilded manbeast with the body of a loinclothed warrior and the head of a bull to hack thieves to death with a glittering magical bronze khopesh he called from the ether by reaching his hand out and chanting 'Ya-ham-ankatu-kheru!' A just-woke-up mummy is not something you fight, it's something you survive.

A mummy who's been awake a little longer likely has some of his faculties back, and is capable of subterfuge and strategy beyond glittering minotaur butchery. He has the full command of an arsenal of superhuman powers at his disposal, and can pump his physical stats to superhuman levels. Imagine trying to fight Thor or Wonder Woman if it's a direct fight, or Batman if it's indirect.

Arguably, some of the worst mummies to come into conflict with are the ones that have been awake for a while. They've lost most of their magical powers, yes, but now you're fighting an immortal sorcerer who has millenia of experience fighting monsters and other immortal sorcerers, and has forgotten more about asymmetric warfare and tactics than you'll ever learn. And in all likelihood, he has a cult of devoted followers who could be literally ANYONE, capable of going anywhere, or doing anything, simply because they're ordinary humans. Also, in all likelihood, he has a shitload of money at his disposal and can just use human societies' infrastructure to fuck with you.

And even if you bushwhack him and take him down, he'll be back, probably pretty quick, too.

If I was you, I'd make it about competing goals, rather than giving the PCs a new punching bag. But that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• sellswrd
    replied
    It seems like I've come to the right place! You folks are pros..exactly what I needed to know.
    my players are GREAT players but don't always take the, well...smart option (i.e. Run away when they clearly should).
    thank you all so much!!!!

Leave a comment:

• CatDoom
    replied
    As with any nigh-unstoppable foe, using a Mummy as an antagonist could work if you give the PCs the opportunity to do some research and develop a plan before actually entering the tomb. Like most splats in NWoD, Mummies have lots of enemies, and the pack might just be able to get in touch with them without the mummy's cult finding out what they're planning. Since many of Mummy's antagonists are not as obsessed with vessels as the Arisen themselves are, they may be willing to let the pack have the book in exchange for whatever information they have and backup against their foes. Some of them might even honor the agreement after the dust settles.

Werewolves might also be able to compel or persuade local spirits to back them up; fire does aggravated damage to mummies, so a fire spirit might be able to wreak havoc in a fight against one, especially if it were able to produce or intensify flames while remaining in twilight.

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    Well, you don't need to optimise the Mummy. If you give it no combat skills to use in the first fight and no or minimal combat affinities/utterances, it's only going to have 15 health and a dice pool of 9 (plus the ability to fight for 9 rounds after dying or heal 1 lethal a round for the same period of time and the aforementioned "back from the dead" trick). That's formidable, not a TPK.

You can scale up from there to meet the kind of challenge you want the party to face. If they are clever PCs, they might even twig to the fact that they should probably run. If they are very, very clever, that may even happen before one of them dies.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Use the Dread Powers from Hunter to build this Mummy instead, unless you really want a TPK.

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    Particularly notable is that, when first rising, the Mummy is Sekhem 10 and Memory 0.

That means that if, by some chance, the wolves do bring it down, it will return to life the moment they drop their guard and launch an immediate surprise attack (probably on whoever struck the killing blow). You know, in case bringing it down the first time wasn't hard enough.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    The Mummy can regenerate massive amounts of damage. He can come back from the dead several times. He has an entire Cult at his disposal. He can throw asteroids.

Your pack is very, very screwed unless you don't use the actual Mummy rules at all.

Leave a comment:

• Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Quo View Post
    Oh.
    If you're using both in 1e, then yes, the pack is going to get shredded. Badly.
    Turn into Sand, Stuff as much sand into the pack's lungs, watch as the pack dies due to lack of oxygen.

Or hell, Just have the Mummy's cult seal the tomb with an air tight seal, and become the pillar of fire. As they fight the pillar, more and more oxygen gets consumed.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Quo
    replied
    Every "arising" has a "descent."
    It's basically a clock; the Arisen has X time to get stuff done.
    At certain intervals, they have to roll Sekhem, if they fail, they get to keep the level of Sekhem they're at; if they succeed, then they lose a dot of Sekhem.
    As Sekhem goes down, their overall potency goes down: how many Pillars (think Essence) they can spend per turn, how many dots of Attributes they get per Pillar spent; the levels of Utterances they can use (Utterances at tiered either 1/2/4 or 1/3/5; if their Sekhem is lower than the level, they can't speak that dread verse).
    Their Affinities are unaffected, and they can still do the whole "I shall retuuuuurn" schtick if they have more than 1 Sekhem left, but overall, yes; longer time awake means weaker Mummy.

The descent intervals get further apart the lower their Sekhem goes; at Sekhem 10 (just woke up, all bandages and bad moods), they have 1 scene before they have to roll. At 3, they have something like 60 days before they have to check for further descent.

Instead of Morality/Integrity/Harmony, they have "Memory;" it starts at 3. They have a special XP track they use to raise it; they get said XP by basically acting like a person and remembering stuff about themselves. Hence, if they wake up with Memory 3, it's entirely likely that - once they've slunk all the way down to Sekhem 2 - they have Memory 5+ and probably even know why that book was bad news.
    They may even remember personally meeting the jackass who wrote it.

Originally posted by sellswrd View Post
    So the bottom line here is that Mummies are wickedly powerful people who don't like having their stuff messed with...got it.
    Yes, but, I wanted to enunciate. Mummy is a very nuanced game. Their powers are similarly nuanced, and every one could be a story seed (something which is very important, to me).
    Rank 6+ Spirits are beyond the scope of the game-system to portray, is the tagline in Werewolf, but if I wanted to portray them anyway I'd probably start with Mummy.
    Last edited by Ben Quo; 06-17-2015, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X