Dreams of Avarice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Mercy, honestly. The Heretic wants to see all mummies escape their shackles, even the cruel, hated Deceived.
    I don't disagree with you, although I do find it interesting that the Stylus seems to help the Temakh in addition to the Mummy. I feel like Shock may be right about allowing the Temakh to self-reflect, and perhaps free it from its own shackles, thus freeing the Mummies that it has chained.

In other news, I did a bit more cross-referencing, this time with Guildhalls of the Deathless. Antu-Herap, The Prince of Glass, met the Heretic after the latter's Apotheosis, pursing Iremite texts during the Second Sothic Turn. Nefernewet is described as having met Urmontu after Constantine the Great "destroyed religious variety in [Byzantium]." That statement could apply at pretty much any time in Constantine's reign as Augustus or sole Emperor, however it is likely that the earliest date it could apply to was the Edict of Milan in February of 313 CE. The Heretic gives his True Name as Azar sometime between then an 337, when ends with him in Henet. He has to Arise again, then achieve Apotheosis, then encounter The Prince of Glass all before 551 CE, which is a relatively short time period of the Arisen. It doesn't mean too much, but it is interesting to see how the journey played out. The Prince of Glass may very well have been the first Mummy that the Heretic encountered after Apotheosis.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• I hadn't even thought to cross reference Guildhalls. I wonder if the Su-Menent chapter will seem less confusing. Speaking of cross referencing, in Book of the Deceived, the temakh mentions it told a pair of lies in the text deliberately. I think, using Dreams of Avarice, we might be able to find the contradiction, and thus, find the lies the Deceived spoke of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
        I hadn't even thought to cross reference Guildhalls. I wonder if the Su-Menent chapter will seem less confusing. Speaking of cross referencing, in Book of the Deceived, the temakh mentions it told a pair of lies in the text deliberately. I think, using Dreams of Avarice, we might be able to find the contradiction, and thus, find the lies the Deceived spoke of.
        Maybe, maybe not. The stylus is supposed to allow the Deceived to record its Memories, but has the limitation of blurring them with the Decieved's desires for what it wishes had actually happened. Unless, of course, that was one of the lies.

Plus, I think there were way more places that the account contradicted itself and Dreams of Avarice than two. That's okay though, it would still be an interesting exercise.

CofD booklists:

Comment

• I honestly think the stylus is just a pen. The way it described it's curses just feels like writing.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
          Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• It may very well be... although given that the account has been pressed into stone, there's got to be something magic to it. Maybe all it does if give the Deceived a normal, human Memory while its being used to write?

CofD booklists:

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              In other news, I did a bit more cross-referencing, this time with Guildhalls of the Deathless. Antu-Herap, The Prince of Glass, met the Heretic after the latter's Apotheosis, pursing Iremite texts during the Second Sothic Turn. Nefernewet is described as having met Urmontu after Constantine the Great "destroyed religious variety in [Byzantium]." That statement could apply at pretty much any time in Constantine's reign as Augustus or sole Emperor, however it is likely that the earliest date it could apply to was the Edict of Milan in February of 313 CE. The Heretic gives his True Name as Azar sometime between then an 337, when ends with him in Henet. He has to Arise again, then achieve Apotheosis, then encounter The Prince of Glass all before 551 CE, which is a relatively short time period of the Arisen. It doesn't mean too much, but it is interesting to see how the journey played out. The Prince of Glass may very well have been the first Mummy that the Heretic encountered after Apotheosis.
              Okay, I may have jumped the gun a little here. The Storyteller's section says that the Heretic achieved Apotheosis some time in the last century, so clearly what the Prince of Glass remembers is the Heretic as a Mummy, but one in search of the truth and his Memory.

CofD booklists:

Comment

• Holy. Freaking. Crap. I just finished reading Dreams of Avarice and it is glorious beyond measure. I don't think I'll look at Mummy quite the same way ever again. Heck, if the Judges are actually major players in CofD cosmology, I might never look at the CofD universe the same way ever again. The nature of the Law of Suffering, of Will, and what it means to be a human in the eyes of the Judges, is a terribly disheartening thing, but it's giving me so much inspiration for Mummy stuff. I'm feeling incredibly ambitious in terms of trying to put together ideas of what Irem was like.

Comment

• While I do agree that Dreams of Avarice is awesome, my own perception is that unreliable narrators are kind of a theme in mummy. It sort of goes hand-in-hand with the loss of memory thing: it's hard to catch a lie if you don't remember anything about the truth, or even what reasons you might have not to trust the lair. And in the CofD - particulary in Mummy - everybody lies. Positing that the Heretic is an exception to that rule seems a bit naive, though I may just be cynical.

Although, even if we can trust the Heretic's word implicitly, he didn't actually write all of Dreams of Avarice. There's not really any obvious way for him to know if the Iremite scriptures he included in the book are at all true, or if they're (partly or entirely) a fiction cooked up by the Judges or the Shan'iatu. Actually, that's probably why he sought out the Deceived who wrote Why the Stars Fall; if anybody now active in the world can give insight into the actual history of creation before the later days of the Nameless Empire, it would be one of the shattered Temakh carried by the Deceived.

Comment

• Son of a bitch, I forgot it was a stretch goal and I payed for it when I didn't have to

Oh well

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• That happened to me with the 2e core

Comment

• Is page 44 weird for anybody else? It looks like the dark gradient on that page is eating the text, and I'm wondering what I should do. It's like that on both the PDF and the hard copy.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
                          Is page 44 weird for anybody else? It looks like the dark gradient on that page is eating the text, and I'm wondering what I should do. It's like that on both the PDF and the hard copy.
                          That's deliberate.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                          Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Interesting. I'm glad to know it's not a printing error.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                            Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                            He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Working...
                            X