Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... what is Mummy about?

Hello

Lately, I decided to come back to NWoD games and was wondering about purchasing Mummy: the Curse. There certainly are things that seem interesting about this game... The thing is, I'm wondering: what is the game about (aside from being about mummies, obviously)?

Specifically: what is there for the mummies to do in this game? I mean, they wake up and... do what, exactly? What could their stories be about? From what I've read, mummies wake up to hunt down artifacts - but is it all they do? Admittedly, it sounds a bit... limited. Is it all what there is to the game, or am I misinformed?

Hunt artifacts, get into turf wars, fight chimeric abominations full of bees, and generally fulfil the demands of ancient gods.

Comment

Tell me more about the "demands of ancient gods" part What could the Judges demand from mummies, exactly?

Comment

Mummies have mortal cults, so they can be involved in literally anything mortals would consider important. It's a game dealing with themes of slavery. The cult worships the Mummy, but the Mummy is bound to serve the cult (and the gods). In a nutshell, you are woken and compelled to follow a mission. That mission could be anything from helping to expand the cult's corporate interests by a "hostile" takeover, to exploring ancient ruins in search of mystic artefacts. The game can swing between Conan, Lovecraft, and political thriller on a dime. A pulpy sequence involving an epic battle against a chimera flows easily into ruminations on existential horror as you consider the nature of the beings you serve, but before long you can be back blackmailing the corporate overlords of a rival cult into submitting to your influence. That sort of thing.

And yes, you also hunt artefacts, but your driving purpose can be just about anything (and the default setting, the Sothic Turn, gives you free will in pursuing your own ambitions).

Comment

For my group, we focus a lot on the self discovery and memory themes of the game. Tbh in all of this time with the game, we have only done ONE artifact based story, and it wwasn't a treasure hunt or tomb raid, but rather the story of the Blue Beetle was focused more on how it interacts with the host. The rest of the Mummy stuff we've done involves flashbacks to old romance, old rivalries, and old ideas of rebellion. I admit, I probably overplayed the tragic Curse that mummies suffer from, because my players now equate Judges to evil. As storyteller, I should've played that card much later on, because all the Mummies are viewing all NPC mummies as potential threats. Either way, its an exciting and mystifying game. I mean, just sit and stare at a globe for a while. YYou'll see places you'd love to explore, remember history, and all of this becomes storyline. I've never STed a game where the ideas come so naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Varsovian View Post
            Tell me more about the "demands of ancient gods" part What could the Judges demand from mummies, exactly?
            Every Judge has a crime as its purview. They tend to reward Mummies who punish those who commit that crime. Of course, both the crimes and the punishments are very much rooted in Bronze Age culture, so things can get kind of morally odd from a modern perspective very quickly.

And of course, the Judges like relics, hate Amkhata and Shuankhsen, and are presented as vaguely rapacious (by which I mean that they seek to have relics sent to Duat, diminishing the magic that remains in the world in the process). Personally, I present them as distant more than evil, but they should always be there hanging over the players' heads. Many actions can see the player characters punished by their Judges, and when and why that occurs can be a big moment for the character in question.

Comment

Okay then! I admit that all of this sounds rather interesting. Thank you

Comment

So, I decided that I'd be very keen on hearing more on the possible Mummy story ideas and the like To get a better feel of the game and all that.

Anyone interested in sharing some more? I have a few bucks to spare on NWoD books and I need to decide whether I'd like to purchase Mummy first, or go with some Mage supplements, or maybe something else

Comment

So, I decided that I'd be very keen on hearing more on the possible Mummy story ideas and the like To get a better feel of the game and all that.

Anyone interested in sharing some more? I have a few bucks to spare on NWoD books and I need to decide whether I'd like to purchase Mummy first, or go with some Mage supplements, or maybe something else
                  Well, there's already a thread like that in this very forum: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...my-story-hooks

Christian A has started several of these threads for many of the gamelines here and on RPG.net.

Speaking of which, here's a really handy thread where a user is reading through the core book and taking notes. It should give you a better idea of things and potentially help clarify questions that you might have: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...d-the-corebook.

The core book itself has an adventure in the back, Eve of Judgment. It's a quick little story about the meret (mummy party) being awoken in the slums of Brazil to protect their cults from an imminent threat, then investigating why the cults were being attacked and where the final NPC member of the party disappeared to. It has a fantastic ending.

An idea that I want to see in a game:

The PCs awaken to find their cults in disarray and schisming. There are signs that another mummy has been trying to suborn the cults and stealing relics. No matter how hard the PCs try, though, they can't seem to find this mysterious mummy. Until at the highlight of the game, they discover the truth: the mystery mummy is actually one of them, or rather their orders from a previous descent. The cults broke into an orthodox/radical split based on some vague language you used and ended up almost tearing your cult apart.
                  Last edited by BigDamnHero; 09-02-2015, 08:23 AM. Reason: Forgot an important word.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                  Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                  He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Thanks, that's very useful

Here's a question I'm wondering about when trying to wrap my head around this game: the mummies' time is limited, right? Eventually, all of them return to their sleep. So, how long does it take for that to happen? How much time do mummies have in each activity cycle? Days, weeks, months, years..?

Comment

Thanks, that's very useful

Here's a question I'm wondering about when trying to wrap my head around this game: the mummies' time is limited, right? Eventually, all of them return to their sleep. So, how long does it take for that to happen? How much time do mummies have in each activity cycle? Days, weeks, months, years..?
                      The timer varies, seeing as it's based on the gradual diminishment of their Sekhem (which serves as their Supernatural Tolerance stat like Blood Potency or Wyrd) and there are ways to spend, regain, or rapidly lose Sekhem, and Sothic Turns in particular are notable for not having a time-based cutoff once the character's Sekhem has dropped to 1.

Generally speaking, though, even a mummy who's completed their objective (and thus automatically succeeds at all further time-based rolls that must be failed to retain Sekhem) can push on for a little under a year (or the length of a couple stories) over the course of dropping from Sekhem 5 to Sekhem 0.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Interesting! So, I wonder... what could a mummy be doing in such limited time? What kind of objectives could they be following, after their appointed mission is completed?

BTW. How often do mummies rise - can they be called up by their cults every year, for once?

Comment

Interesting! So, I wonder... what could a mummy be doing in such limited time? What kind of objectives could they be following, after their appointed mission is completed?
                          Generally speaking, at least some of the spare time the Arisen get is spent on getting up to date with guild politics or handling personal pursuits, particularly as their Memory increases across the centuries.

BTW. How often do mummies rise - can they be called up by their cults every year, for once?
                          It varies, but mummies can tell their cults to summon them at a certain time or in the event of specific occurrences, and depending on what the cult has at their disposal they may well be able to bring their core demigod out into the land of the living with some regularity; the big obstacles there are the general need for a purpose to the call and the drawbacks of Sybaris, along with the high probability that most cults won't have a relic that personally belonged to the mummy they serve and thus will have to resort to methods like permanently draining vessels or major sacrifice.

Comment

I see...

I wonder what kind of guild politics mummies can have, then? If they are awake only for a few months, then they go back to sleep for years, how can there be any politics..? And how can the guilds even function?

Comment

I see...

I wonder what kind of guild politics mummies can have, then? If they are awake only for a few months, then they go back to sleep for years, how can there be any politics..? And how can the guilds even function?
                              Guildhalls of the Deathless goes into greater detail, but the short version is: cults with traditions stretching back to ancient Irem go a long way toward providing continuity to the Arisen.

Comment

Working...
                              X