Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change Mummy's backstory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh, misremembered that bit. Ah, well, its been a while. *shrugs*

Anyways, I should make a point about my posts. Its possible to remove the backstory, but this only works for certain kinds of stories. I don't recommend it for a Sothsis Cycle chronicle, for instance. I mainly did it as an experiement to see if it was possible to run it. It was.

The thing about Mummy is that it tells a very certain kind of story. When I did my tinkering, I did it with a focus on making Mummies into a general power that crossed cultures easily. This had a side effect of requiring to effectively homebrew an entire new history. Well, not all of it, but good chunks of it. It was a fair amount of work at points, something far more than merely the history of a city or region.

So, while its possible... it requires a fair amount of effort. Its like... imagine playing vampire elders in Masquerade, borderline Antideluvians delving into the story of Caine. Now, imagine getting rid of Caine and having to rewrite all that lore for the very same game. That's a lot of new lore to make up. Its similar here. Its more than possible, its doable. But its a lot of effort for the stories that Mummy is good at telling.

Comment

Easy. Assume the Shan'iatu are more like the Arisen (perhaps Deceived-esque?) and assume that the Arisen are more like the Sadikh.

Comment

Someone mentioned Immortals earlier, and I'd like to second it. Before Mummy: the Curse was a thing, the Purified (one of the Immortal types covered in that book) were the closest thing that the New World of Darkness had to mummies — indeed, I suspect that they were written up in the last days of the original White Wolf as a way to give fans something Mummy-esque in case the worst case happened and White Wolf went out of business. Much like Inferno gave us something Demon-esque at just about the same time, and both were published alongside Geist, the last full “gameline” (consisting of only 1½ books) to be published for several years before Onyx Path was formed and revitalized the ’Verse.

Anyway, if you want something that feels like mummies but isn't the Arisen, I'd strongly recommend considering the Purified as a starting point, possibly fleshing them out further by stealing select systems from Mummy: the Curse (e.g., Pillars, Utterances, and Affinities) or even the original World of Darkness' mummies (Mummy 2e or Mummy: the Resurrection — mainly for the Hekau, though the latter's splats could be easily incorporated into the Purified). It would definitely be easier to refluff the Purified to match the OP's ideas, as there's no pre-Egyptian legacy to contend with.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post
          I was having a talk with my group just now, and I was telling them about Mummy, giving them a TL;DR (I haven't actually read the book myself, I'm merely recounting the TL;DRs I've seen myself). We were talking about how as it is, it's not really appealing to us, and how it'd be a lot more appealing if Mummy worked like Changeling, in which you're a normal person who is kidnapped and murdered in a ritualistic way, then embalmed and turned into a Mummy. You are given a purpose by your creator and interred (and that purpose is almost always "protect this location"), and then at some point, much like a Changeling's Durance, you break away or are somehow freed from your purpose. So now you are an undead creature whose entire existence was meant to have a purpose, and have lost it (which means you must now find your own purpose in the world).

Since I haven't read the book yet, I was thinking I'd ask the community: how hard is it to refluff Mummy's current backstory and fluff assumptions to fit this idea?
          It's actually not necessary to change it. Just use the "Twice Arisen" (I think around pg. 150 or so) ritual as your player's initial backstory.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagcon Faraday View Post
            It's actually not necessary to change it. Just use the "Twice Arisen" (I think around pg. 150 or so) ritual as your player's initial backstory.
            I think that only takes you so far. They're still Arisen and they still feel the need to hunt relics. They still have a purpose.

Comment

You can get a nifty game of immortal werewolf survivors of the First Pack by changing some fluff and labels around pretty easily but I can't think of other templates that lend themselves to it as well. You could probably do Demon if you expanded the incarnations and found another Agenda. You could probably do it with Beast, too.
              Last edited by nofather; 12-21-2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I think that only takes you so far. They're still Arisen and they still feel the need to hunt relics. They still have a purpose.

Well, there's a significant aspect in that there's a big risk that the ritual doesn't go as planned. Even with success, the new body & blended memories may cause the "purpose" to deviate from the Arisen's original programming. Apotheosis, while much harder, would be an interesting goal akin to a Promethean Pilgrimage in breaking free of that purpose.

Comment

Even with success, the new body & blended memories may cause the "purpose" to deviate from the Arisen's original programming.
                  Perhaps psychologically but that purpose is reinforced by both the mechanics of Sehkem and the way Arisen Memory works. Shadowknight seems to want characters that are entirely bereft of given purpose so they can focus the game on creating a new purpose.

Comment

Well, while the suggestions here are interesting, my group has decided to wait and see what happens to Deviant. It sounds closer to Changeling and it's the one gameline we all like.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

I'm really excited for Deviant. It kinda sold me on running Demon, too, so long as it's a crossover game of the two

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post
                        I haven't actually read the book myself,
                        There's your problem.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

Seriously the games are flexible but where they break is when you don't read the goddamn game. We have no way to design for that.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                            Seriously the games are flexible but where they break is when you don't read the goddamn game. We have no way to design for that.
                            The very purpose of this thread was precisely to determine whether I should read the book or not. I have no interest in devoting time and effort to read through and understand something that will not, in the end, be something I want to play. So I decided to ask people who had read the book to tell me how mutable the content was. If the parts that didn't click for me were easily changeable, then I'd be glad to give the book a chance. Otherwise, I'd give it a miss.

Sorry that I don't have that much time to read nowadays, I guess.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

While their origins and the divine purposes imposed on them will always be present, their back stories can vary tremendously due to their own knowledge of themselves being limited thanks to Memory. It's not uncommon for Mummies to believe they were something they were not or even confuse some memories for others (in fact there are flaws and derangement for this to make the characters more fleshed out/amusing/tragic/crazy). So yes, a characters own perceived history can be quite strange indeed. The twice Arisen thing also helps blur ones own memories even further, which makes it all that more interesting. But as stated, the Will of the Judges/Temakhs (the masters of the Lost Guild) is always present, and the eb, flow, and other vagaries of Sekhem occur, as well as the need to complete tasks set upon them... but mummies are in no way hampered with how strange their unloved could have been.

Comment

Working...
                              X