A Feast of Vinegar and Ashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Feast of Vinegar and Ashes

The ultimate fate of the Shan'iatu, if the in-character dialogues of Dreams of Avarice are to be believed, has been revealed. Yet what has not been revealed is whether they continue to plot and conspire with genuine cunning and progress, or whether they just languish in madness within the Houses of the Dead. This was one of the most haunting and interesting aspects of the new book to me.

We now know why Relics must be given to the Duat. The Shan'iatu feast from the Sekhem delivered to them by the Arisen 'so that their vinegar might become wine, and their ashes roasted flesh, and that so cloaked in stolen power, they might ascend to A’aru.'

Is this a mad delusion from a hopeless Temakh? Or is there wisdom in this frantic effort...

Whether Deceived or not, it seems the fate of all Shan'iatu is a wretched half-death; a fitting fate for those who dreamed of reaching beyond their divine role. Only those who possess the Will can ascend from their proper place and not be struck down for their sins.

I like that the title itself - Dreams of Avarice - refers to the condition of the Temakh, obsessed and envious of what the living enjoy.

On-topic, I'd say that the Shan'iatu cannot achieve their current plan, no more than a vampire can feed enough to come back to life. All they're accomplishing is depriving the living world of masterpieces, which (while technically renewable) are scarce and require the effort of a visionary human who pours their soul into their craft.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      Whether Deceived or not, it seems the fate of all Shan'iatu is a wretched half-death; a fitting fate for those who dreamed of reaching beyond their divine role. Only those who possess the Will can ascend from their proper place and not be struck down for their sins.

I like that the title itself - Dreams of Avarice - refers to the condition of the Temakh, obsessed and envious of what the living enjoy.

On-topic, I'd say that the Shan'iatu cannot achieve their current plan, no more than a vampire can feed enough to come back to life. All they're accomplishing is depriving the living world of masterpieces, which (while technically renewable) are scarce and require the effort of a visionary human who pours their soul into their craft.

The more I read spoilers from that book, the more eager I am to get my hands on it to go through it myself.

At the very least, now I know more on how to portray the perspectives of the Arisen and their masters in my stories. And I'm certain this will inspire even more ideas from a lot of other people I know here.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I'd argue that they might be able to, if Ammut doesn't have her day first.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
        Work Blog Coming Soon
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Ammut wins in the end; Mummy from a Tier 4 view could very easily be "can you reach A'aru before the Devourer eats reality?"

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Well, no, Ammut inevitably wins. It's a matter of how much time can be bought before that day, and who can get the most out of it-the Arisen (and Deceived) or the Shan'iatu.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Working...
            X