Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whyfor the Arisen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whyfor the Arisen?

    While many questions of Mummy’s incredible story have been answered with recent releases, some enigmas still very much remain. Primary amongst these, in my mind, is ‘Why the Arisen?’

    We now know the ultimate goal of the Shan’iatu, to subvert the security of the afterlife and enter into starry Aa’ru. We likewise know why Irem was doomed to fall. The people of Irem were given up to Ammut to secure free access to the capital of the Duat for the Shan’iatu.

    What we do not know, however, is why the Arisen were created. They were not created to fetch relics for the Shan’iatu, because this necessity did not evolve until AFTER the Shan’iatu absconded to Duat and discovered they were consigned to a feast of vinegar and ashes.

    So what purpose were the Arisen originally intended to fulfill? Why would the Guildmasters go to such extravagant lengths to create them? What goals were intended for these beings when the Shan’iatu believed they would reside in Aa’ru after the Rite of Return?

  • #2
    Immortal servants are useful regardless of your intentions. Chances are the order to PLS SEND SEKHEM SNACKS WE R HUNGRY order came down once they realized they were trapped in Duat.


    Call me Regina or Lex.

    Female pronouns for me, please.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Shan'iatu still needed to make a tribute to Azar as a key to the A'aru in their eyes. THe Arisen were to immortalize Irem as a tribute to Azar.

      That backfired.


      Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

      Comment


      • #4
        I still haven't finished Dreams of Avarice, but I think Book of the Deceived mentioned how the Shan'iatu were under the impression that they had to create something that lasted forever in order to appease Azar. I don't really remember.

        That was their whole intent when they build Irem, I think, and eternal servants of an eternal civilization were just something to help glorify their cause

        Comment


        • #5
          Weirdly enough, my hypothesis was that the Shan'iatu used the Arisen the same way they used Aset. As non-human entities they couldn't get into Duat so they used the Rite to piggyback their servants souls to their goal. The other component of the rite created the Descent with the goal that the mummies would teach the ways of civilization again and again.

          For reasons unknown the Deceived never got into Duat and thus their Shan'iatu masters never got to reassemble themselves after being ritually torn apart. Perhaps it is due to the interventon of the others guilds, or their focus on name magic interfering with the deception, meaning that Anpu was authorized to bar their way

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with the piggyback part, but I feel like the Shan'iatu never intended for the Arisen to wake up. I don't know if that makes sense, certainly not in the newly revealed contexts, but that was always a pet theory of mine anyway

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by reseru View Post
              I agree with the piggyback part, but I feel like the Shan'iatu never intended for the Arisen to wake up. I don't know if that makes sense, certainly not in the newly revealed contexts, but that was always a pet theory of mine anyway
              I think that clashes with the bit where it says that the Arisen were never intended to have free will.

              I might be able to source that if I'd had any sleep in the last two days.


              Call me Regina or Lex.

              Female pronouns for me, please.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                I might be able to source that if I'd had any sleep in the last two days.
                I know for a fact Neph said as much on the forums, at least.


                Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                Comment


                • #9
                  and it mirrors so perfectly how the judges tried to make perfectly obedient tools so serve their will ... and failed

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    I think that clashes with the bit where it says that the Arisen were never intended to have free will.
                    Maybe I'm tired and sick, but which part clashes? I was saying that perhaps the Shan'iatu never intended the Arisen to ever wake up which doesn't seem to clash with the idea that they don't have free will. It makes it moot but it's not an opposite, so to speak, do you get it? I guess I'm confused.

                    I guess what I was saying is that perhaps the Shan'iatu thought they were all done. They created the Arisen, gathered up all their relics and put them in tombs with the Mummies, and called it a day. Shit happens, though: tomb-robbers and Sothic turns throw a wrench into it all, causing the Arisen to awaken and, half-remembering their purpose to protect relics, they do the thing they do

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ganonso View Post
                      Weirdly enough, my hypothesis was that the Shan'iatu used the Arisen the same way they used Aset. As non-human entities they couldn't get into Duat so they used the Rite to piggyback their servants souls to their goal. The other component of the rite created the Descent with the goal that the mummies would teach the ways of civilization again and again.

                      For reasons unknown the Deceived never got into Duat and thus their Shan'iatu masters never got to reassemble themselves after being ritually torn apart. Perhaps it is due to the interventon of the others guilds, or their focus on name magic interfering with the deception, meaning that Anpu was authorized to bar their way
                      Precisely, after reading Dreams of Avarice the Mummies and Aset were used to smuggle the Shan'iatu into a position to seize A'aru, but it didn't work as planned.


                      It is a time for great deeds!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Piff View Post
                        What we do not know, however, is why the Arisen were created. They were not created to fetch relics for the Shan’iatu, because this necessity did not evolve until AFTER the Shan’iatu absconded to Duat and discovered they were consigned to a feast of vinegar and ashes.
                        Do we know this? I haven't read all the books, but I thought Irem was just popped into the Duat?

                        But yeah Arisen are excellent servants because like the Silver Surfer they had their memory removed to make them more tractable, but that is only one pole of the Ladder of Sutekh. And Arisen are servents capable of Utterances, as they wrote the key ones needed to get into the Employees only section of Duat on their souls and even after using it up they retained the capacity to use Utterances, as well as a need to learn them, seems to explain why you start of with a few, you picked them up to replace the keys used on your journey to the Judges.


                        It is a time for great deeds!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by WelshBoi View Post
                          and it mirrors so perfectly how the judges tried to make perfectly obedient tools so serve their will ... and failed

                          That would be my theory, actually. I think the Shan'iatu knew on some level that their intended purpose was to serve the Judges in the mortal realm. In order to breach the gates of Duat without offending the Law or Azar they needed a stand in, entities who would serve the will of the Judges eternally in their absence. Hence they turned to their most devout human servant/slaves.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X