Can someone explain the opening story in Book of the deceived to me please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain the opening story in Book of the deceived to me please

I tried reading it, but found it pretty confusing. Can someone give me the Coles notes version? Thanks

Do you mean the introductory fiction, Hunter's Dance or Chapter 1, Why the Stars Fall?

Comment

Why the stars Fall. I tried to read it a couple of times but I got confused. I think I missed some pretty important points

Comment

The long and short of it is that the Shan'iatu (the guildmasters of the five Guilds of Irem) were created as magical servants known as Temakh by the Judges of Life, tasked with teaching humanity the sacred Law of the universe so that they could properly serve the Judges. The Shan'iatu go about this and their studies, learning that human dead pass beyond the world into Duat (the underworld) and (if properly trained in the ways of the Law) ascend to dwell in A'aru (basically the same as heaven); the Shan'iatu grow jealous of this, because they themselves cannot enter Duat or reach A'aru.

The Shan'iatu then come up with a plan to cheat the system (after consulting with Ammut the Devourer); they kill and ritually dismember Azar, king of the gods and their father, and bind his soul within a human woman who they then also kill, hoping to use her passage into Duat as a way to sneak Azar in and crown him as king of death. They hope that he will reward them by granting them access to Duat, but he never speaks to them again, and the way is still blocked to them. Anpu (god of the dead and freshly dethroned by Azar's descent into Duat) scolds the Shan'iatu for losing sight of their purpose.

The Shan'iatu go about teaching humans about Judges and the Law, forming them into a great tribe that would grow into the Nameless Empire. They instruct humans in magic and crafts, but grow decadent and weak by enjoying human vice; becoming unsatisfied, they seek out Ammut and ask what they're doing wrong. She claims that Azar wants proof that their efforts will endure eternity, and so they devise the Rite of Return. The Rite takes the form of a great sacrificial ritual, designed to send Irem intact to Duat, elevate human members of the Guilds as immortal servants (the Arisen that you play as in Mummy), and to turn the Shan'iatu into the Judges of Death that could rule in Duat alongside Azar.

The Rite succeeds, but the Shan'iatu of the Sixth Guild are betrayed by those of the other five; rather than bring sent to Duat, they are shattered and bound to their mortal servants. Reading ahead in the book, you find out that the temakh of the Deceived are the insane fragments of the Shan'iatu who did not reach Duat.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Don't forget the part where the Shan'iatu of the Sixth Guild were planning on betraying the ones of the other Guilds, and now they're eternally pissed off that they didn't betray their kin faster than their kin betrayed them

Comment

Working...
          X