So What Happened to Irem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What Happened to Irem?

So we know Irem was a Sacrifice, and now we know a lot of the secrets of the Setting, but some specifics are still a mystery. Is Irem the City that Azar and the Shan'iatu dwell in?

We had hints in the Djed Effigy that they Built Irem knowing they would take it to the Duat, and had the power to seemingly make mortal ghosts mutate into something more Chthonic. All Citizens of Irem alive when it was sacrificed what of them? Are they the ones waiting forever to go to Aaru? Where they fed to Ammut? Are they now just Denizens of the duat, becoming more Demonic now? ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?!

It is a time for great deeds!

Pulled physically into Duat and largely out of our reality is how I read it. Irem isn't buried in the sands out there somewhere (though you may find a shattered obelisk or an empty tomb), but literally moved out of the mortal realm and beyond the veil. The dead of Irem that do not linger as ghosts either went straight into Ammut's maw or lurk in Duat.

Dreams of Avarice lays this out in further clarity, saying that the Shan'iatu of the five Guilds live awful half-lives in Duat, starved of Sekhem and longing for any sorts of pleasures. I can only assume they live in the preserved streets of Irem, alone save for the moaning of tortured ghosts.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

It would almost be a pitiable tragedy for the Shan'iatu... if they didn't already deserve it and bring it upon themselves.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        It would almost be a pitiable tragedy for the Shan'iatu... if they didn't already deserve it and bring it upon themselves.
        The core thought behind everything in Mummy is that everyone, from the Arisen on to the Shan'iatu and beyond to the Judges and Nameless Gods, is a massive fucking asshole.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Maybe not Sutek, and maybe not Re.

That last one, namely because Re is everyone's bitch.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?!
            I don't know about anyone else, but if I played a Mummy campaign and it ended with all the Iremites still alive and fine, I would reach across the table and slap the ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I don't know about anyone else, but if I played a Mummy campaign and it ended with all the Iremites still alive and fine, I would reach across the table and slap the ST.
              Why? They've had to deal with the Shan'iatu and the Judges for millennia. It's not exactly like they got out easy.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                Irem isn't buried in the sands out there somewhere...
                It's funny you say this because I have a clear memory of Dave B (is it ever anyone else?) saying this was a major distinction between the lost Empire versus Mage's 'Atlantis', or at least 'time before the Fall.' In the latter case there's weird ruins yes but they're distinctly magical if anything; Irem, on the other hand, was a part of our history and could physically be excavated.

This was way before other Mummy backstory developments, and has more to do with symbolically presenting the games' differences than any literal implications necessarily, though.

Still, in my Mummy game the PC did travel to modern day Syria (my player/girlfriend's family is from there) to rediscover an ancient fortress of the Empire

Comment

Oh, there's still ruins of Irem out there- the whole Empire didn't go poof, to my understanding, just the capital city which sunk down to Duat. I'm pretty sure Sothis Ascends calls out a particular city in Kemet as a former Iremite settlement that persisted after the Empire collapsed.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Yeah, that is a good point. I think it's fair to distinguish between Irem and the rest of the Empire

Comment

Yeah - excavating predynastic Egyptian sites will dig up ruined remains of Irem's outlying outposts, it was just the city that got destroyed. It still existed, historically.

Meanwhile, "Atlantean" ruins are entirely unconnected to the history of the world around them, and don't even match up with one another.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                        Yeah - excavating predynastic Egyptian sites will dig up ruined remains of Irem's outlying outposts, it was just the city that got destroyed. It still existed, historically.

Meanwhile, "Atlantean" ruins are entirely unconnected to the history of the world around them, and don't even match up with one another.
                        Some people take up growing bonzi trees, others take up motorcycle mechanics. Archmasters? They set up and plant ruins all over the place. Just for giggles and maybe rituals.

Comment

Working...
                        X