Vague Idea: Flashpoints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vague Idea: Flashpoints

I had an interesting thought, inspired by the discussions regarding a Touchstone analogue for the Arisen; what if there was a mechanical resource that described important past Descents? The Memory stat as-is makes reference to remembering important prior Descents, but leaves it vague and largely narrative. How would you like the idea of (either at character creation or during play) each character having a few specific flashpoints in history that were especially important?

Every single Arisen has a shared historical/geographic origin, but they've had 5,000 years of events and travel to forge their own stories. These can then be drawed upon for some sort of mechanical resource. Thoughts?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

How would you see this interact mechanically? I see references to Touchstones, and commentary on how these events are relevant to Memory and identity, and I'm wondering what concrete impact they have to back up the narrative. I mean, I can certainly see how codified formative experiences would have an effect on fortifying Memory, or in meditation to regain one's Pillars.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      How would you see this interact mechanically? I see references to Touchstones, and commentary on how these events are relevant to Memory and identity, and I'm wondering what concrete impact they have to back up the narrative. I mean, I can certainly see how codified formative experiences would have an effect on fortifying Memory, or in meditation to regain one's Pillars.
      I'll admit that mechanics aren't my strong suit. Perhaps these memories can be called on for a Pillar refresh once per session? That's how a similar mechanic works in GUMSHOE.

My main intent here is helping to clarify an individual character's past beyond just the prior Sothic Turns. There are plenty of Serpent-Headed Scribes, but yours was the one who sacrificed themself to let their cult escape the Venetian sack of Constantinople. It contextualizes the spending of Sebayt Experience and helps each chronicle feel like they're truly rooted in history.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Pendragon homebrewed something similar: Monuments.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

The 2e conversion I'm working on with Deionscribe is playing around with the idea, and we're taking inspiration from the Monuments mechanic. We're looking at tying specific Monuments to personalized Breaking Points that relate to the event imprinted on the Monument. So you uncover a Monument, play through a flashback, and how you roleplay through the scene helps determine the Breaking Point.

Comment

It also meshes well with the playstyle presented by Sothis Ascends, wherein a Mummy's present day chronicle is run alongside a flashback chronicle.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
            X