No announcement yet.

Hypothetical Project: The Pyramid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, people join cults and religions that don't offer any tangible benefits in the real world. Barring notes to the contrary, I'd assume the Arisen/Deceived cults are at least selling the same kind of things. And if they offer tangibles? All the more enticing.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Deceived Cultists have a whole Merit dedicated to them, and I can totally see Arisen Cults potentially having a specialized (and quite possibly personalized) Mystery Cult Initiation Merit for their mortal cultists. Perhaps whenever the Mummy increases Reach/Grasp they get the option to modify the benefits of initiation?

That being said, more love for cults, cultists, and the Sadikh sounds like an awesome idea to me.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

As to the original question of this topic: Yes, yes, YES, YEEEESSSSSSSS, 10000 TIMES YES!

I think we could all benefit from more Foundation options, more Cult mechanics viz Reach and Grasp (whatever a third sort of mechanic would be), and a short portfolio of example INTERESTING cults with which to hassle or benefit the players. I also think that Mummy in particular deserves a book on the topic because Mummies are arguably the supernatural entities most dependent on Cults (or more generally a group of mortal allies capable of calling them back to life). And a hefty number of mysterious conspiracies with complex and sinister goals waiting for an ST to pick up and use are NEVER a bad thing in my humble opinion.

Add to this that we still don't know much about how the Iremites worshipped or who their gods were. We have some context and wikipedia's entry on Ancient Egypt can fill in more of those blanks, but there are still 42 big questions I can think of as to how the average cult of a particular god central to Irem conducts itself. For that matter, what about Ammut? She is essentially the Wyrm and Oblivion combined in the Old WOD days, but we know nothing about what agencies might work for her beyond the Shuankhsen. We also have plenty of vague references to Lovecraftian races and entities throughout the Mummy line, which as you might know are no slouches when it comes to ancient cults.

Also, Last Dynasty is an example of a Cult gone rogue. And god only knows how long I've been craving more exploration of those crazy bastards.

In short, a LOT of mileage to be gained from this topic, I think.

Comment

Rough mechanical ideas: possibly distilling Reach and Grasp into similar but more focused concepts like their ability to act without notice (whether that attention be from mortal authorities or other Cults), laying out example Cults of each type (Tribal, Conspiracy, and Enterprise) at various ages and Merit dot expenditures (seeing what a single-family ancestor cult looks like and how it can grow to a globe-spanning fringe religion with many enclaves), extensive lists of possible Mystery Cult Initiation benefits, Supernatural Merits to represent Arisen boons given to mortal agents, possibly a new Minor Template (maybe my Incarnates but expanded upon?)

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Considering they've become part of every game line I'd rather see cults expanded upon in a blue book.
            Me and Flyboy got quite far on that project.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
            My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
            Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Bumping this thread to mention that The Gentleman Gamer confirmed Sekhem sorcerers for the Cleopatran Egypt setting in the Dark Eras Companion.

More on topic: how would you feel about a little document with guidelines for fleshing out the important positions within a Cult (i.e. your High Priest, your public face, etc) with mechanical benefits for each rank? I'm fond of expandinf Cult outwards from one merit into several subsystems, but wanna know if there's interest out there for the idea.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                Bumping this thread to mention that The Gentleman Gamer confirmed Sekhem sorcerers for the Cleopatran Egypt setting in the Dark Eras Companion.

More on topic: how would you feel about a little document with guidelines for fleshing out the important positions within a Cult (i.e. your High Priest, your public face, etc) with mechanical benefits for each rank? I'm fond of expandinf Cult outwards from one merit into several subsystems, but wanna know if there's interest out there for the idea.
                I would like to see such a thing. I'd also like to see a blue book on Cults, and not just those for mummies.

Matthew Dawkins
                Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Working...
                X