Sothis Ascends Mysteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sothis Ascends Mysteries

Sothis Ascends throws a whole heap of mysteries at the reader and I'm only just getting my head around them. I don't think I've ever read a book with so much setting material crammed into a relatively small page count. I thought here would be a good place to collate some of those mysteries and our interpretations of them.

To start: the Return to Dusk. My favorite chapter, and the era I've used for my existing chronicle. Do we have any indication to the cause of the blackout alluded to in the chapter? There's a whole load of things going on in this chapter, across loads of different locations (and this has really helped me run chronicles set across a broad geographical area). Is the Sao Civilization an actual successor to Irem?

What were your thoughts on the book?

I belive the great darkness refers to the following: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extr...s_of_535–536

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yeah, some sort of massive volcanic eruption took place at that time. Now...why on Earth this event would "blind" Azar....that has not been addressed.

Comment

Consider that Azar is strongly associated with the Nile, and the consequences of the extreme weather event might have polluted, obstructed, or covered up the river in fog and dust.

Comment

I had always thought that was a mistake that meant to say Re. Then again, Re and Aset are the eyes of Sutek/Azar anyway, and Sothis Ascends came out before the revelations in Dreams of Avarice, so.. who knows.

Comment

Not a mistake. As the writer of that chapter, I can definitely confirm the "dusk" blinded Azar. Now, how and why that affected Sutek and Re, throwing certain gods' powers out of balance, is an interesting matter. Who caused the dusk, and what was their plan?

You may find more to this in Dark Eras Companion, of all places

Matthew Dawkins
            Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
              Not a mistake. As the writer of that chapter, I can definitely confirm the "dusk" blinded Azar. Now, how and why that affected Sutek and Re, throwing certain gods' powers out of balance, is an interesting matter. Who caused the dusk, and what was their plan?

You may find more to this in Dark Eras Companion, of all places
              That's twice now someone's teased me with that chapter, you and DaveB both.

Cannot wait.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Both Dark Eras books contain really rich content for Mummy. I'm confident the Cleopatran Era in Companion will add a lot to any Mummy game, with sorcerers, prophecies, and political intrigues aplenty.

And I'm glad you liked Sothis Ascends, Stannis! I wanted to approach Chapter Three as a campaign setting, of sorts. A nicely fleshed out world where you could plant any Mummy chronicle and hit the ground running. Arrogantly, I've used my own work for my chronicle, starting in Constantinople and concluding in the heart of Persia. The Order of Izft played a major role.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                  Both Dark Eras books contain really rich content for Mummy. I'm confident the Cleopatran Era in Companion will add a lot to any Mummy game, with sorcerers, prophecies, and political intrigues aplenty.

And I'm glad you liked Sothis Ascends, Stannis! I wanted to approach Chapter Three as a campaign setting, of sorts. A nicely fleshed out world where you could plant any Mummy chronicle and hit the ground running. Arrogantly, I've used my own work for my chronicle, starting in Constantinople and concluding in the heart of Persia. The Order of Izft played a major role.

And if I remember correctly, Last Dynasty International's original cult was named after Cleopatra, the 'last dynasty' of ancient egypt (let's just ignore the fact that her dynasty was more Greek than Egyptian). So here we can finally learn how that cult began. Which should be interesting.

On the Order of Izft, I had a couple questions. What is "Izft" in the title. The only thing I can come up with is "Isfet", the Egyptian idea of divine chaos opposing Ma'at. In this context I have no idea what that idea means to Irem. Also, where do you think the Order is in the modern era. I generally figured they would end up in Moscow, both due to the historical relationship between Russia and Constantinople AND the rivalry the Order had with the Khent-henu playing out in the Cold War between the US and Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post

And if I remember correctly, Last Dynasty International's original cult was named after Cleopatra, the 'last dynasty' of ancient egypt (let's just ignore the fact that her dynasty was more Greek than Egyptian). So here we can finally learn how that cult began. Which should be interesting.
                    LDI holds muddy origins. You'll find out more in the Cleopatran Dark Era, but there are a few mortal sorcerer cults that could have become LDI, though one certainly stands out as the most likely. Sadly for the Loyalists of the Final Dynasty (as they hubristically named themselves) it may not be them...

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
                      On the Order of Izft, I had a couple questions. What is "Izft" in the title. The only thing I can come up with is "Isfet", the Egyptian idea of divine chaos opposing Ma'at. In this context I have no idea what that idea means to Irem. Also, where do you think the Order is in the modern era. I generally figured they would end up in Moscow, both due to the historical relationship between Russia and Constantinople AND the rivalry the Order had with the Khent-henu playing out in the Cold War between the US and Russia.
                      Good analytical skills there, nothri! You picked up the Izft / Isfet link. Consider this: if they're the Order of Chaos, and Isfet is in opposition to Ma'at, what would such a group be opposed to in the world made for the Arisen?

The Order could be many things, and the name attributed to them may not have been chosen by its members, but by the Khent-henu. This could be for several reasons. The Order is either a cohesive meret of Arisen who ensure they always have members active on cycles (or shifts) to ensure the safe passage of information and relics from member to member, and the persistence of Iremite "glory", or they're a cohesive meret of Arisen who ensure they always have members active on cycles (or shifts) to ensure the constant secretion of important relics and vessels, and alteration of Iremite history - not dissimilar to the Revisionists - and pursuance of their own self-absorbed agendas. They could be a cross between the two of course, or maybe neither of these things. Important factual information is they don't outwardly ascribe to any guild and all appear to be of the same Decree. Who does this remind you of?

The Order of Izft still exist in the modern era in my chronicle, though they abandoned Constantinople when the Crusades began in earnest. The Hagia Sophia catacombs' safety came into question, and the number of relics stored there (for dedication to the Judges / feeding to the Devourer / stasis in Ma'at) were endangered. Due to their persisting rivalry with the Khent-henu, I actually had them relocate to Beijing by the current day, though they did remain in Russia for several centuries.

I'm pleased you and I shared some similar thoughts!

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Could we get a quick rundown of the Cleopatra era, theme-wise? Ruins of Empire is about the crumbling of the old order; the Mutapa setting is there for Mage crossover. What does this setting focus on?

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Wait, the rules for mortal sorcerers is finally coming, in dark eras?! Oh, the joy in my Ab is boundless!! As for the Order of Izft, has that been mentioned before? Spoilers I may have missed? Either way, I am heavily looking forward to dark eras. Even the non-mummy eras can be good fodder for a mummy chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                            Wait, the rules for mortal sorcerers is finally coming, in dark eras?! Oh, the joy in my Ab is boundless!! As for the Order of Izft, has that been mentioned before? Spoilers I may have missed? Either way, I am heavily looking forward to dark eras. Even the non-mummy eras can be good fodder for a mummy chronicle.
                            The Order is one of several factions in the Third Turn, described in Sothis Ascends.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Sticking with the same general area: What is the Apotheotic Movement of Jove up to and who is The Crimson Pharaoh? I suppose it could be The Heretic... but it doesn't really seem like his style even if the name is associated with Apothesis.

CofD booklists:
                              Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Working...
                              X