Does Mummy have a Metaplot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Mummy have a Metaplot?

As the title says, I'm wondering if Mummy has a metaplot. I've heard it does and that it leans a lot on very specific fluff that storytellers know and the player might eventually discover. But that sounds weird for a Chronicles of Darkness game since I thought the metaplot stuff was just oWoD?

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Th old metaplot was defined by events progressing as supplements came out, an overarching story told across releases sharing characters that impacted the game world.

Mummy has nothing like this. It has a backstory that's been rather significantly added to, and a handful of NPCs are recurring as footnotes in history, but they're just that; footnotes with largely irrelevent names attached to them. While there's more fluff now than there was back when it was just the corebook, the additions do not have any major effect on things as a whole, largely because they've all been added to a history that's almost entirely forgotten by the player characters. The confusion arises from Mummy having a comparatively demser background than the other CofD games; the Nameless Empire and the Arisen have a lot more told about them as 'true' than, say, an individual Vampire covenant or Wereolf tribe.

That's before you factor in the toolkit approach of the CofD; it's up to individual Storyteller's to explain what the Deceived are like in their home chronicle, or what happened during the Second Turn, and the average chronicle will never cross paths with The Heretic.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

As atamajakki says, it's not that it has a metaplot, but that it has much firmer "canon" than other games.

Comment

No metaplot. It has a backstory and default chronicle series.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

To better summarize:

In Vampire, vampires come from somewhere. Each clan has several contradictory origin stories, further muddied by conflicting legends from the covenants and regional influences. The Kindred across the globe have no consensus, and there is no "canon" or "true" answer.

In Mummy, the Arisen very definitely come from the Nameless Empire, a predynastic Egyptian civilization that prayed to the 42 Judges, believed in the five-fold heart, and served the necromancer-kings known as the Shan'iatu. There's no confusion about anynof this, and having such concrete answersvis what throws people off.
          Last edited by atamajakki; 03-16-2016, 04:01 AM.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Th old metaplot was defined by events progressing as supplements came out, an overarching story told across releases sharing characters that impacted the game world.

Mummy has nothing like this. It has a backstory that's been rather significantly added to, and a handful of NPCs are recurring as footnotes in history, but they're just that; footnotes with largely irrelevent names attached to them. While there's more fluff now than there was back when it was just the corebook, the additions do not have any major effect on things as a whole, largely because they've all been added to a history that's almost entirely forgotten by the player characters. The confusion arises from Mummy having a comparatively demser background than the other CofD games; the Nameless Empire and the Arisen have a lot more told about them as 'true' than, say, an individual Vampire covenant or Wereolf tribe.

That's before you factor in the toolkit approach of the CofD; it's up to individual Storyteller's to explain what the Deceived are like in their home chronicle, or what happened during the Second Turn, and the average chronicle will never cross paths with The Heretic.
            Heh, you beat me to it this time. Who does reoccur across several books, besides the Heretic? My brain is mush right now.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              Who does reoccur across several books, besides the Heretic? My brain is mush right now.
              Merew-Tjaw and the Prince of Glass both make multiple appearances.

Comment

Seb-Hetchet, The White Jackal, also manages to be frequent.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                Work Blog Coming Soon
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Thank goodness for searchable PDFs and timeline programs. I struggle to recognize everyone's names sometimes in Mummy. Let's see what we can pull together. Thanks guys!

CofD booklists:
                  Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Working...
                  X