Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stars Aren't All Right (aka, The Gang Ruins the Cosmos)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stars Aren't All Right (aka, The Gang Ruins the Cosmos)

So, astronomy is pretty important to the metaphysics of Mummy. There is, of course, Sothis, and its well-documented effect on the Deathless. To the Deceived, the position of the stars reveals so many interesting things about the fate of the world. Several Affinities and Utterances make mention of an intimate relationship between Iremite magic and the heavenly vault.

So, what happens when one of those very important stars go out?

Granted, a number of stars visible to us are already dead of natural causes. But should a star's death have some effect on the Arisen?

Well, a star's natural death is probably already written upon the Scroll of Ages. So how about when the supernatural gets involved? What happens when a glitch in Infrastructure realigns celestial bodies? How about if one of the Gentry plucks a star out of the night sky to wear as a jewel in her diadem? What if Ammut sends her Shuanksen into space to devour a star--black huriyah and all?

Your title made me laugh harder than it had any right to.

As for the topic at hand, it's worth noting that the magics of Irem had just as much to do with death as it does with the stars above; a dead star has merely passed further into the realm of the Judges. We already have one Deceived Utterance that deals with dead stars: Call Down the Black Huriyah. Such magic is unsavory, but still possible for the Arisen to use.

As for the other hypotheticals, it might be fun to explore some sort of stellar misalignment bringing Sothis back into the sky above well before the Turn should arrive. Would it force a new Turn? Would it only revive some mummies, or revive all of them at a lower Sekhem than normal?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

The Shan'iatu themselves massively reworked the skies of Irem. It seemed important to laying the foundations of the Rite, plus it allowed them to manipulate the kinds of Seba that fell to Earth. I assume any cosmic realignment would come with it an impact on the frequency and strength of Cosmic Seba, as well as a few other variously arcane occurrences.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        As for the other hypotheticals, it might be fun to explore some sort of stellar misalignment bringing Sothis back into the sky above well before the Turn should arrive. Would it force a new Turn? Would it only revive some mummies, or revive all of them at a lower Sekhem than normal?
        I believe it was stated in the core that reason why Sothis is important is that it's a cosmic landmark marking when a turn begins but isn't involved in the Right of Rebirth it's self other than being at it's apex during it. The Turn would proceed as normal, just with all of the collective confused Arisen wondering why they are all late to the party this time.

Comment

Working...
        X