Chronicles of Darkness Mummy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles of Darkness Mummy?

Has anything been announced about Chronicles of Darkness Mummy/Mummy 2e?

We still gotta get Geist announced.

One can reasonably assume that a Mummy 2nd is somewhere down the line.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
    Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Mage, Promethean, Changeling, and Hunter all need to come out first. Then we have to see if Geist is getting a new edition or not. /Then/ we might get Mummy.

I don't like to admit it, but it'll be another two or three years before Mummy 2e if things continue at the current rate. I can only hope we get supplements to ease the pain in the time until then.
      Last edited by atamajakki; 03-18-2016, 05:13 PM.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I'ma gonna lay this down.

It's not a question of if Geist is getting a Second Edition. It absolutely is. The question is when.

The same is largely true for Mummy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          I'ma gonna lay this down.

It's not a question of if Geist is getting a Second Edition. It absolutely is. The question is when.

The same is largely true for Mummy.
          Agreed. Geist 2e shows up every single time someone ends up talking about what new books they want. OPP knows that the demand for it is there, and they actually have a fairly free hand to do what they want with it, since there has been so little written about Geist. I'd fully expect that we can start speculation about Mummy once that's happened.

As and aside - Arc, I knew that was going to end up as your avatar before they day was out.

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Good to hear. So, in the meantime let's do a little roleplaying. Onyx has contracted YOU to write the main book for Mummy 2.0. What do you want to add to the new edition? What specific God-Machine modifications would you make to traits like vice and virtues and Memory? What would you take away?

For my part I feel like the Egyptian theme has been perfectly explored through this edition. I'd like to see more multiculturalism- though I have hopes Rio will satisfy some of that urge anyway. More information on the 42 Judges and their cults would be good. Fill in the ranks of the Lifeless with underworld demons abominations in the spirit of the Cthonic Entity and other lovecraftian horrors. If there's a way to make ghosts and the underworld a more active part/concern for the Arisen without stealing Geist's thunder, I say use it.

Perhaps provide a Mummy more opportunities to prolong the Descent? Like, if a Mummy actively aids another Arisen in their Purpose (and their Judge approves) or thwarts the Purpose of another Mummy (and their Judge approves!), including the goals of a local Nome or Guild? Maybe scale it so that a very high Sekhem Mummy has almost no opportunities to preserve their Sekhem while a mid to low Sekhem Mummy has increasingly more options available?

Comment

Mummy has some of my favorite fluff, so I would probably change exactly none of it (only expand things 1e hasn't detailed or explored much) and just clean up mechanics. Maybe tidy up the presentation a bit, though I still think the Player/Storyteller division in the core works very well for the kind of game Mummy is.

Decree is a fairly vestigial x-splat all things considered and could be made more distinct - or just removed. The Mummy template should probably get a power boost to bring some of its original strengths in line with 2e. Pillar attribute boosting has always been needlessly complicated and could use being simplified and made more reliable. I'd also rework the structure of Utterances, as to avoid the annoyingly repeated instances of going back and adjusting Pillar distribution during character creation to make sure you could actually use all three tiers of your chosen spells and didn't end up with fillers.

I'm not sure how I'd change or adjust the progression of the Descent, but there are a lot of interesting suggestions and additions floating around 2e hacks to consider.
              Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 03-19-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
                I'd also rework the structure of Utterances, as to avoid the annoyingly repeated instances of going back and adjusting Pillar distribution during character creation to make sure you could actually use all three tiers of your chosen spells and didn't end up with fillers.
                Easiest thing I can think of in line with the current development trends is to have them operate like Changeling Contracts in 2E - They have a base benefit that can be modified if you meet the Pillar Pre-Req. So an Utterance that requires Ba 5 now might still work if you don't have Ba 5, but once you get it, you have access to that modification.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I've been contracted to handle Mummy 2?

I see if David Hill wants it.

And no to the multiculturalism. The mythology of Irem and the history of the Arisen is strong, good, potent stuff. I would not dare take away some of the greatest power this game has by saying "And now, the Nameless Empire that was founded in Brazil"

Comment

Definitely keep Mummy firmly Iremite/Egyptian. M:tR exists if you're desperate for Chinese mummies and becoming Twice-Arisen doesn't satisfy you.

Expand the Decree into something meaningful beyond just your choice of Judge and defining Pillar. Add in that unique form of Sybaris from Ruins of Empire as a default option, and turn Sybaris into a chain of Conditions. Give rules for building your own Slaughterers and other demons, so that the Arisen have foes other than Amkhat and themselves to fight. Cults and Pyramid play get an entire chapter to themselves. Add in something similar to Monuments or my previously discussed Flashpoints, some sort of Touchstone-equivalent firmly rooted in your personal history. Toss in a list of easy to assemble Egyptian name parts. Players don't like doing that homework and I don't want Nephren-Ka and Imhotep at every table.

I wouldn't change a damn thing, just add on. Mummy is alread a masterpiece in my eyes.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Multiculturalism in the true meaning of the word would be a very poor choice for the themes and core of Mummy. It'd dillute very significant and unique qualities of Irem and the Arisen.
                      Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 03-19-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Something I'd like to see would be some more clarification on Duat, the Underworld, Neter-Khertet, Twilight and the differences or lack thereof between them.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

More on Twilight/Neter-Kherter(same thing), sure.

Duat and the Underworld? No. You're not going to play in Duat except for once, maybe twice, and you never go to the Underworld. Answering questions about the two, particularly in the light of never using them, cheapens the mystery of the game and the joy of players making up their own answers.

Comment

What YOLF, Arc, and atamajakki are saying, basically. I would also like to de-emphasize Guilds as global, political entities and focus more on Mummies as isolated creatures.

Revlid wrote:
                            Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

I have a whole train of thought on what Mummy 2 should have. Just, no time to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X