Other Eras to Play In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Eras to Play In

Obviously no CofD game plays as well across multiple eras of history as Mummy - it's an incorporated feature of the game itself. Earlier today I was watching Egyptology documentaries (I was grading short answer quizes needed something on in the background to stop me from passing out in the process) and started thinking about eras between the Turns that many Undying can remember. Obviously as Egypt is a common thread between the Arisen that's what I'm looking at here, though obviously many diasporad fairly early.

-So Turn 1 (2371 bce) sets off the decline of the Old Kingdom. So my first choice for next era is during the lawless feudal collapse that is the First Intermediate Period. I'm thinking 2160-2134 bce range, with the collapse of the royal oligarchy of Memphis, as the chaos surrounding the rise of the parallel dynasties in Heracleopolis (Lower Egypt) and Thebes (Upper Egypt).

- Jumping over reunification, the next era that I think provides the best hook for MtC is the reign of Senusret III around 1878 bce (12th Dynasty, Middle Kingdom). His expansion not just over neighboring Nubia that his forebarers began but also out into Canaan. He's a strong candidate for implementing the conquest based foreign slavery unseen in Khemet since days of Irem - which is a nice tie in for the Arisen.

- So running with that theme os conquest of Canaan and slavery, we can tie in the Biblical Exodus narrative (and bring in the Arisen with the Plagues, though what side/how their cults play in is obviously going to vary widely - maybe the only learned certain Utterances from the Plagues) around 1479/1478 bce, tying in the heirless death of Thutomose II and the ascent of his wife Hatshepsut.

- My next pick is one I think most people will be familiar with: Akhenaten breaking the cults (your cults!) that rival his one uniting worship in Aten! 1385-1333 bce gives you the arc his religious cause and his new capital (which was plagued by curses) until the worship of Amun-Re is reinstuted by either his son Tutenkahten/Tutenkamun, or possibly queen-regent Nefertiti in her step-son's name. [this would also be roughly contemporary with the Book of Judges era which was almost a Hunter setting; if Cults are fleeing Akhenaten out of Egypt, perfect chance for Mummy/Hunter conflict as Israelites battle profane foreign gods]

-Jump a century after that and you have the golden age of the New Kingdom under Ramses II (which is already discussed as a Vampire setting in Ancient Bloodlines/Mysteries, so crossover potential there).

- Kind of a mini-era but less than a century after that, around 1155 bce, you have the first ever recorded labor strike in Turin, timed with a harem assassination attempt on Ramses III. The labor strike is noteworthy, because it's the point when the non-working laborers are believed to have done most of the raiding of the Valley of the Kings. Tomb violations means lots of potential Arisen activity.
    --------------------------------------------------

- After Turn 2 (910 bce), the next note I have is that in 671 bce, the resettlement of Egyptians to Assyria under the conquest of Asarhaddan opens up the prefect opportunity for the exit of one's cult if you're looking for when that happens and haven't found it yet.

- History gives way to Achaemanid Persian rule, and history itself is the potential focus of waking up around 470-460 bce, and getting to hang with Herodetus in his exploration and research into Egypt and its history. Would be a good era to play up memory and recording themes, and even potentially introducing the Heretic in ones quest for memory.

- To the Strongest (323 bce with the death of Alexander) with the birth of the Hellenistic Egypt, is of course a Mage setting in the Dark Eras book - but it's a good one for a Mummy crossover.

- Then of course around 47-30 bce, we're going to have our next Mummy Dark Era with the Cleopatra chapter in the Companion, hopefully complete with the loss of the Library of Alexandria!

- 269-271 bce, gives one Zenobia invading and pushing out the Romans for a time, which could be a fun window in the otherwise Roman era to focus on

- Finally before the Third Turn, there's the point where the tide in Egypt irreparably turns against the pagans. 415 ce is the death of Hypatia at the hands of a Christian mob. Seems like an appropriate time for cults to be the most on-the-run they've ever been since the days of Akhenaten.

---------------------------------------------------

- After the Third Turn of course things get a lot worse for cults in Egypt very very fast. Muslim conquest of Egypt kicks off in 639 ce. Any Arisen and their cults who thought fleeing back to their homeland from Arabia over the last several decades are not in for a good time either.

- Once things cool off, and the cults are able to adapt to the new status quo, the next era that really interested me was Fatimid Egypt, around 1000 ce. Interesting an Ismaili ruled Caliphate in what we today think of as a firmly Sunni nation. It's contemporary with the Islamic Golden Age, but divided the eastern power bloc by religion.

- In contrast, in the 1326-1347 time window, you have Mamluk Cairo having replaced (Mongol sacked) Baghdad as the political and cultural center of the Muslim world. Not to mention the fact that the "Mamluks" as "slave rulers" provide excellent emphasis on the nature of the Arisen. Unfortunately Cairo's golden age comes to a crash in 1347 with the arrival (return? No one knows for sure what the Plague of Justinian was - see Third Turn) of the Black Death.

- Then of course there is Ruins of Empire (1900-Great War) as your go-to Pulp setting with raiding British Egyptologists to disturb any tomb you need...

Any thoughts on how you'd want to use any of these, or eras you've drawn on or want to draw on in a MtC game?
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-08-2016, 01:35 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

I already have tones of thoughts about a Book of Judges Era crossover between Hunters and Mummies, and in general an Akhentane Era could be interesting for such crossover if you consider all the history the dual cults of Set and the Phoenix have at that time. For an Era outside of Egypt there is the "French Revolution" for Mage/Mummy which was suggested during the Kickstarter. Achaemanid Era could also be interesting, IMO.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Comment

While a little short for an entire chronicle, I found a setting that works great for flashbacks (I used ot for a one-shot): the Urabi Revolt. The long and short of it is that an Egyptian military officer is tired of foreign influence and government corruption, and so starts an armed revolt that is rather quickly put down by the British, who bombard and burn a large portion of Alexandria and use the whole affair as an excuse to run Egypt by proxy for the mext few decades.

It's great; you get to see Victorian Egypt, you explore the idea of the rebellious servant (always a dangerous concept in Mummy), and there's a good reason for your Cult to wake you up when the city is burning and occupied.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

My game is set in Paris, so naturally I love the French Revolution and the rise of Napoleon's Empire. Not least because of his campaign in Egypt and subsequent period of Egyptomania that swept through France and the city.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
          My game is set in Paris, so naturally I love the French Revolution and the rise of Napoleon's Empire. Not least because of his campaign in Egypt and subsequent period of Egyptomania that swept through France and the city.
          Did any of the Mummy PCs and their Cults first come to Paris via Napoleon's invasion of Egypt and the French looting?
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I still wish the French Revolution with Mummy (and Mage, I think?) made it into Dark Eras

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
              I still wish the French Revolution with Mummy (and Mage, I think?) made it into Dark Eras
              Fingers crossed for Dark Eras 2.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Which one won that round? We had Mutpa and French Revolution at the same time but neither made it.

CofD booklists:
                Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  Which one won that round? We had Mutpa and French Revolution at the same time but neither made it.
                  The Mutapa setting is in the Companion, but I don't remember if that won a poll or had to be resurrected by a backer tier. DaveB is writing it.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

It was resurrected by a backer.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Did any of the Mummy PCs and their Cults first come to Paris via Napoleon's invasion of Egypt and the French looting?

Some did. Several were already there. In my game three merets have dominated Paris, the basic concept for each coming from the three medieval estates- the king/nobility, the Church, and the commoners. Competition between the three came to a head during the revolution, and the "Commoner" meret (headed, perhaps predictably, by the Maa-Kep) seized control of the city from the other two factions. In order to hold onto power, he arranged for his cultists to return to Egypt, awaken old allies and seize old relics (including choice pieces of the Sphinx, which entered the public conscious as the false rumor that Napoleon defaced the monument). The Louvre eventually became that meret's base of operations as well as the semi-annual meeting place for the nomarchs of the city.

I can keep going if you want (really, I can talk your ear off with this stuff) but I think that mostly answers your question.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post

Some did. Several were already there. In my game three merets have dominated Paris, the basic concept for each coming from the three medieval estates- the king/nobility, the Church, and the commoners. Competition between the three came to a head during the revolution, and the "Commoner" meret (headed, perhaps predictably, by the Maa-Kep) seized control of the city from the other two factions. In order to hold onto power, he arranged for his cultists to return to Egypt, awaken old allies and seize old relics (including choice pieces of the Sphinx, which entered the public conscious as the false rumor that Napoleon defaced the monument). The Louvre eventually became that meret's base of operations as well as the semi-annual meeting place for the nomarchs of the city.

I can keep going if you want (really, I can talk your ear off with this stuff) but I think that mostly answers your question.
                        That is a brilliant idea for a Nome.

Comment

As much as I love MtC, I think if a second Dark Era kickstarted happened NOW, I'd want that particular Mage crossover to be with Beast.

Especially since we're getting a Mage/Mummy crossover as is in the Dark Eras Companion (Mutapa Empire at the point of contact with the Portugese).

Comment

Some thoughts on cool things going on at the same time in these eras to draw on...

- during the First Intermediate Period era (2160-2134), the Ur-Sag are ruling in Bau with their fetish ziggurat. With 2E dating the Sundering as recent as it is, I'm inclined to make this era CONCLUDE with the Oaths of the Moon for the Uratha as they adopt their traditional duties in light of their failure to rule over man

- during the second intermediate period, where if you chose to draw on non-historically-verifiable Biblical narrative, Joseph brings his father and brothers into Egypt under the patronage of Semitic Hyksos kings, you also have the (in CofD possibly failed attempt to recreate Atlantis caused) Minoan catastrophe around 1642 bce

- during the reign of the Cult of Aten 1385-1333 bce, as I mentioned, you of course have the Book of Judges going on, and the Greek "Age of Heroes" is in full swing!

- the Turin Strike, 1155 bce, lines up nicely with hypothetical dates of the Trojan War set against Bronze Age collapse and the end of the Greek heroic age

Comment

Actually maybe I should move The Trojan War back a bit, have it coincide with the New Kingdom Golden Age under Ramsees II, as the Heroic Age Mycenean Greek last hurrah, before their Bronze Age collapse is in full swing (coinciding with Ramsees III and the Turin Strike).

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X