Other Eras to Play In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Actually maybe I should move The Trojan War back a bit, have it coincide with the New Kingdom Golden Age under Ramsees II, as the Heroic Age Mycenean Greek last hurrah, before their Bronze Age collapse is in full swing (coinciding with Ramsees III and the Turin Strike).

Thoughts?
    Eh, I'd keep it where it is. There's plenty going on in Ramses' reign as it is and it is still within a generation.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      Eh, I'd keep it where it is. There's plenty going on in Ramses' reign as it is and it is still within a generation.
      It's just we do have a pretty good grasp on when (though not so much why) the palaces of Mycenaean Greece were destroyed, and it's in the 1206-1155 window, so the question is if The Trojan war is contemporary to that, or the last hurrah of the Bronze Age of Heroes before the collapse?

Hmmm.... I suppose I could do something with peasant revolts while the bulk of their rulers are away fighting, and the kings of Greece return to find their entire society overturned while they were gone.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Or of course, the sacking of Troy could have been in response to Anatolian attacks on Greece (perhaps including the kidnapping of women as trophies, remembered in myth via the figure of Helen) that were destroying their centralized palace-economies. And while the Greeks responded in-kind to Troy, the damage was still done and their society had decentralized into the subsistence village structure that would last through the Greek Dark Ages.

Comment

Oh, another overlap I caught - doing a Hypatia era in Egypt lines up perfectly with the dates of "Fall of the Camarilla"

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

It's just we do have a pretty good grasp on when (though not so much why) the palaces of Mycenaean Greece were destroyed, and it's in the 1206-1155 window, so the question is if The Trojan war is contemporary to that, or the last hurrah of the Bronze Age of Heroes before the collapse?

Hmmm.... I suppose I could do something with peasant revolts while the bulk of their rulers are away fighting, and the kings of Greece return to find their entire society overturned while they were gone.
            Well, that depends on if you take the Fall of Troy VIIa as being the Trojan War. Additionally, there is a school of thought that the Odyssey references a specific eclipse in 1178 BCE, which would place the start of the mythical Trojan War at 1198, which actually matches closely with Troy VIIa.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Which is very close, but it does mean anyone woken up by the Turin Strike tomb raids will have missed it, damn.

Comment

While I don't yet know how to work Mummies in this, I'm preparing to do a Dark Era style thread on 1314"s France. King Phillipe the Fair has just dead, the three last Capetians will sucede each other for ten years.then it's the Hundred Years Wars. But even in the 18 months of Louis X's reign, all the legacy of the Iron King will be destroyed. As Mummies are tie to kingdoms and their fall, it could be interesting.

Comment

I think the 5th century would be a really interesting period to explore. You've got Persia at the height of its imperial power experiencing its first major defeat in the Persian Wars, and the flowering of philosophy in both Greece (with the Pre-Socratic Philosophers) and India (with the Śramaṇa movements, including Buddhism and Jainism). Plenty of opportunities for mummies to found or expand cults, and at the same time plenty of inspiration to start questioning the nature and purpose of their existence and the worldview imparted to them by the Judges.

Comment

I've wanted to see Mummy the French Revolution done for years now. Seeing it actually come up as one of the possible eras for Dark Eras, only to get voted down again and again was heart breaking.

Malkavian Madness Forum - Your pbp fix. Be it nWoD, cWoD, CoC, D&D or something else entirely, come over here and get your game on

Comment

Originally posted by InfernalGoose View Post
                      I've wanted to see Mummy the French Revolution done for years now. Seeing it actually come up as one of the possible eras for Dark Eras, only to get voted down again and again was heart breaking.

You know, just throwing this out there, but if there's as much enthusiasm for this era as there seems maybe Onyx will make another book for Dark Eras. Or maybe we the fans should do it for them?

Comment

Or a fan-project could be started. Age of Azar and Sundered World have a fair bit of steam already.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          Or a fan-project could be started. Age of Azar and Sundered World have a fair bit of steam already.
                          And I have another on in the works called "Fall of Eagles", although Azar knows when I start it.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            And I have another on in the works called "Fall of Eagles", although Azar knows when I start it.
                            You have my attention.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

You have my attention.
                              Oh yeah, based off of some of the stuff I've reblogged on Tumblr that you've liked, you are going to be all over this.

CofD booklists:

Comment

As a very loose thought, since I've not enough knowledge of the period to really tie it into specific events, the Iberian Peninsula during the Reconquista feels like it has a lot of potential with all the political upheaval and cross-cultural enmity.

Comment

Working...
                                X