X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glamourweaver
    started a topic Other Eras to Play In

Other Eras to Play In

Obviously no CofD game plays as well across multiple eras of history as Mummy - it's an incorporated feature of the game itself. Earlier today I was watching Egyptology documentaries (I was grading short answer quizes needed something on in the background to stop me from passing out in the process) and started thinking about eras between the Turns that many Undying can remember. Obviously as Egypt is a common thread between the Arisen that's what I'm looking at here, though obviously many diasporad fairly early.

-So Turn 1 (2371 bce) sets off the decline of the Old Kingdom. So my first choice for next era is during the lawless feudal collapse that is the First Intermediate Period. I'm thinking 2160-2134 bce range, with the collapse of the royal oligarchy of Memphis, as the chaos surrounding the rise of the parallel dynasties in Heracleopolis (Lower Egypt) and Thebes (Upper Egypt).

- Jumping over reunification, the next era that I think provides the best hook for MtC is the reign of Senusret III around 1878 bce (12th Dynasty, Middle Kingdom). His expansion not just over neighboring Nubia that his forebarers began but also out into Canaan. He's a strong candidate for implementing the conquest based foreign slavery unseen in Khemet since days of Irem - which is a nice tie in for the Arisen.

- So running with that theme os conquest of Canaan and slavery, we can tie in the Biblical Exodus narrative (and bring in the Arisen with the Plagues, though what side/how their cults play in is obviously going to vary widely - maybe the only learned certain Utterances from the Plagues) around 1479/1478 bce, tying in the heirless death of Thutomose II and the ascent of his wife Hatshepsut.

- My next pick is one I think most people will be familiar with: Akhenaten breaking the cults (your cults!) that rival his one uniting worship in Aten! 1385-1333 bce gives you the arc his religious cause and his new capital (which was plagued by curses) until the worship of Amun-Re is reinstuted by either his son Tutenkahten/Tutenkamun, or possibly queen-regent Nefertiti in her step-son's name. [this would also be roughly contemporary with the Book of Judges era which was almost a Hunter setting; if Cults are fleeing Akhenaten out of Egypt, perfect chance for Mummy/Hunter conflict as Israelites battle profane foreign gods]

-Jump a century after that and you have the golden age of the New Kingdom under Ramses II (which is already discussed as a Vampire setting in Ancient Bloodlines/Mysteries, so crossover potential there).

- Kind of a mini-era but less than a century after that, around 1155 bce, you have the first ever recorded labor strike in Turin, timed with a harem assassination attempt on Ramses III. The labor strike is noteworthy, because it's the point when the non-working laborers are believed to have done most of the raiding of the Valley of the Kings. Tomb violations means lots of potential Arisen activity.
    --------------------------------------------------

- After Turn 2 (910 bce), the next note I have is that in 671 bce, the resettlement of Egyptians to Assyria under the conquest of Asarhaddan opens up the prefect opportunity for the exit of one's cult if you're looking for when that happens and haven't found it yet.

- History gives way to Achaemanid Persian rule, and history itself is the potential focus of waking up around 470-460 bce, and getting to hang with Herodetus in his exploration and research into Egypt and its history. Would be a good era to play up memory and recording themes, and even potentially introducing the Heretic in ones quest for memory.

- To the Strongest (323 bce with the death of Alexander) with the birth of the Hellenistic Egypt, is of course a Mage setting in the Dark Eras book - but it's a good one for a Mummy crossover.

- Then of course around 47-30 bce, we're going to have our next Mummy Dark Era with the Cleopatra chapter in the Companion, hopefully complete with the loss of the Library of Alexandria!

- 269-271 bce, gives one Zenobia invading and pushing out the Romans for a time, which could be a fun window in the otherwise Roman era to focus on

- Finally before the Third Turn, there's the point where the tide in Egypt irreparably turns against the pagans. 415 ce is the death of Hypatia at the hands of a Christian mob. Seems like an appropriate time for cults to be the most on-the-run they've ever been since the days of Akhenaten.

---------------------------------------------------

- After the Third Turn of course things get a lot worse for cults in Egypt very very fast. Muslim conquest of Egypt kicks off in 639 ce. Any Arisen and their cults who thought fleeing back to their homeland from Arabia over the last several decades are not in for a good time either.

- Once things cool off, and the cults are able to adapt to the new status quo, the next era that really interested me was Fatimid Egypt, around 1000 ce. Interesting an Ismaili ruled Caliphate in what we today think of as a firmly Sunni nation. It's contemporary with the Islamic Golden Age, but divided the eastern power bloc by religion.

- In contrast, in the 1326-1347 time window, you have Mamluk Cairo having replaced (Mongol sacked) Baghdad as the political and cultural center of the Muslim world. Not to mention the fact that the "Mamluks" as "slave rulers" provide excellent emphasis on the nature of the Arisen. Unfortunately Cairo's golden age comes to a crash in 1347 with the arrival (return? No one knows for sure what the Plague of Justinian was - see Third Turn) of the Black Death.

- Then of course there is Ruins of Empire (1900-Great War) as your go-to Pulp setting with raiding British Egyptologists to disturb any tomb you need...

Any thoughts on how you'd want to use any of these, or eras you've drawn on or want to draw on in a MtC game?
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM.

• Morangias
    replied
    As a very loose thought, since I've not enough knowledge of the period to really tie it into specific events, the Iberian Peninsula during the Reconquista feels like it has a lot of potential with all the political upheaval and cross-cultural enmity.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

You have my attention.
    Oh yeah, based off of some of the stuff I've reblogged on Tumblr that you've liked, you are going to be all over this.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    And I have another on in the works called "Fall of Eagles", although Azar knows when I start it.
    You have my attention.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    Or a fan-project could be started. Age of Azar and Sundered World have a fair bit of steam already.
    And I have another on in the works called "Fall of Eagles", although Azar knows when I start it.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Or a fan-project could be started. Age of Azar and Sundered World have a fair bit of steam already.

Leave a comment:

• nothri
    replied
    Originally posted by InfernalGoose View Post
    I've wanted to see Mummy the French Revolution done for years now. Seeing it actually come up as one of the possible eras for Dark Eras, only to get voted down again and again was heart breaking.

You know, just throwing this out there, but if there's as much enthusiasm for this era as there seems maybe Onyx will make another book for Dark Eras. Or maybe we the fans should do it for them?

Leave a comment:

• InfernalGoose
    replied
    I've wanted to see Mummy the French Revolution done for years now. Seeing it actually come up as one of the possible eras for Dark Eras, only to get voted down again and again was heart breaking.

Leave a comment:

• CatDoom
    replied
    I think the 5th century would be a really interesting period to explore. You've got Persia at the height of its imperial power experiencing its first major defeat in the Persian Wars, and the flowering of philosophy in both Greece (with the Pre-Socratic Philosophers) and India (with the Śramaṇa movements, including Buddhism and Jainism). Plenty of opportunities for mummies to found or expand cults, and at the same time plenty of inspiration to start questioning the nature and purpose of their existence and the worldview imparted to them by the Judges.

Leave a comment:

• ganonso
    replied
    While I don't yet know how to work Mummies in this, I'm preparing to do a Dark Era style thread on 1314"s France. King Phillipe the Fair has just dead, the three last Capetians will sucede each other for ten years.then it's the Hundred Years Wars. But even in the 18 months of Louis X's reign, all the legacy of the Iron King will be destroyed. As Mummies are tie to kingdoms and their fall, it could be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Which is very close, but it does mean anyone woken up by the Turin Strike tomb raids will have missed it, damn.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

It's just we do have a pretty good grasp on when (though not so much why) the palaces of Mycenaean Greece were destroyed, and it's in the 1206-1155 window, so the question is if The Trojan war is contemporary to that, or the last hurrah of the Bronze Age of Heroes before the collapse?

Hmmm.... I suppose I could do something with peasant revolts while the bulk of their rulers are away fighting, and the kings of Greece return to find their entire society overturned while they were gone.
    Well, that depends on if you take the Fall of Troy VIIa as being the Trojan War. Additionally, there is a school of thought that the Odyssey references a specific eclipse in 1178 BCE, which would place the start of the mythical Trojan War at 1198, which actually matches closely with Troy VIIa.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Oh, another overlap I caught - doing a Hypatia era in Egypt lines up perfectly with the dates of "Fall of the Camarilla"

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Or of course, the sacking of Troy could have been in response to Anatolian attacks on Greece (perhaps including the kidnapping of women as trophies, remembered in myth via the figure of Helen) that were destroying their centralized palace-economies. And while the Greeks responded in-kind to Troy, the damage was still done and their society had decentralized into the subsistence village structure that would last through the Greek Dark Ages.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Eh, I'd keep it where it is. There's plenty going on in Ramses' reign as it is and it is still within a generation.
    It's just we do have a pretty good grasp on when (though not so much why) the palaces of Mycenaean Greece were destroyed, and it's in the 1206-1155 window, so the question is if The Trojan war is contemporary to that, or the last hurrah of the Bronze Age of Heroes before the collapse?

Hmmm.... I suppose I could do something with peasant revolts while the bulk of their rulers are away fighting, and the kings of Greece return to find their entire society overturned while they were gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X