Neter-Khertet and the wider CofD setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neter-Khertet and the wider CofD setting

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is Mummy the only game that treats Twilight as a separate realm rather than just a transitory state of being?

Other gamelines treat Twilight as a hazy layer of reality that includes the ephemeral, while Mummy bestows it with landmarks in the form of the mountains at the edges of the horizon. What does this mean? Could there possibly be creatures native to Nerter-Khertet? Sorry if this is incoherent, but it seems to be a unique and overlooked facet of the game.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Oddly enough, I have been open to the idea that the Twilight is more than it appears to be. Heck, I wouldn't mind a setting hack which expands it into something like the Twilight in this book.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Based on the posts and threads I'm seeing active lately you're all really going to love the Cleopatra chapter in the DE Companion.

I kinda think amkhata could be considered native to it, but surely there are things that, if not exactly native, might be stuck there in a kind of limbo. Maybe the Mutapa chapter will provide insight but yeah "native to Twilight" was something I specifically requested for Cleopatra.

Now stop setting me up to break unofficial quasi NDAs

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
        Based on the posts and threads I'm seeing active lately you're all really going to love the Cleopatra chapter in the DE Companion.

I kinda think amkhata could be considered native to it, but surely there are things that, if not exactly native, might be stuck there in a kind of limbo. Maybe the Mutapa chapter will provide insight but yeah "native to Twilight" was something I specifically requested for Cleopatra.

I'm increasingly worried that we're somehow the same person, reseru.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

How soon CAN we expect the Companion supplement to arrive? And speaking of Amkhata, was there ever any tidbit that describes them forming 'naturally' besides via sundered relics?

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is Mummy the only game that treats Twilight as a separate realm rather than just a transitory state of being?

Other gamelines treat Twilight as a hazy layer of reality that includes the ephemeral, while Mummy bestows it with landmarks in the form of the mountains at the edges of the horizon. What does this mean? Could there possibly be creatures native to Nerter-Khertet? Sorry if this is incoherent, but it seems to be a unique and overlooked facet of the game.
            Mummies have an expansive perspective on Neter-Khertet due to their particular observations of how it works, even when others might call part of it (Twilight) a "state." The Mutapa chapter discusses this in some detail.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

I...share your sentiments exactly.

dun dun DUN!

Comment

So to bring this thread back; what could be native to Netwr-Khertet? It could be that amkhat are "naturally"' disembodied and that the ritual to create one actually just gives it a physical form. Are the Slaughterers that the Iremites so feared only found in Duat, or could they (and other demons who are tragically not knife-wielding) be found there as well? We know the Arisen see the mountains of the East and West in Neter-Khert, but could the "Isle of Flame" often described in Egyptian texts be there as well?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Before the arrival of second edition, I had assumed that the Arisen's perception of Twilight was an effect of the Rite of Return: a mystically-induced Jerusalem Syndrome meant to reinforce certain religious beliefs.

I think maybe ghosts who've been blessed or cursed by Iremite magics could become native to Neter-Kkhertet.

Comment

Would Anpu be considered a native of Neter-Khertet? Maybe Sha, or a later analog of them? Deceived in Henet?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I'm watching you

Matthew Dawkins
                      Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Well, G-M angels are native to the Twilight-state Phenomenal world, so it's possible that other, vaguely similar beings might be native to the "deeper" Twilight of Mummies.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

So which one of you is the temakh then?

Anyway...one way to ask the question is why Mummy treats Twilight as "more" than the other settings. My preferred questioning is why it took so long for a WOD setting to do the concept of Twilight any kind of justice! I mean, Geist was supposedly the setting based around ghosts, right? And yet Twilight, the default state of existence for ghosts, is treated as so uninteresting it gets one brief sidebar in the entire game basically devoted to talking about how uninteresting it is. Mummy is THE game that has done anything remotely cool with Twilight. Which is reason 174 to love this game.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post

So which one of you is the temakh then?

Anyway...one way to ask the question is why Mummy treats Twilight as "more" than the other settings. My preferred questioning is why it took so long for a WOD setting to do the concept of Twilight any kind of justice! I mean, Geist was supposedly the setting based around ghosts, right? And yet Twilight, the default state of existence for ghosts, is treated as so uninteresting it gets one brief sidebar in the entire game basically devoted to talking about how uninteresting it is. Mummy is THE game that has done anything remotely cool with Twilight. Which is reason 174 to love this game.
                            Mummy kind of prides itself on breaking the rules: the power stat starts high and drops, morality starts low and rises, characters are powerful at creation, fiddling with target numbers, making Twilight important, having a set backstory...

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Mummy kind of prides itself on breaking the rules: the power stat starts high and drops, morality starts low and rises, characters are powerful at creation, fiddling with target numbers, making Twilight important, having a set backstory...

True. Also, lifts heavily from Wraith and Orpheus (and Mummy: The Resurrection, of course, although mostly by taking their concepts and asking "How can we make this bleaker, darker, and horrifying?). As far as what might be in Mummy Twilight, my first suggestion is to reread that source material and ask yourself how you can dip the concept in Egyptian Mythology.

Comment

Working...
                              X