Which books to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which books to buy?

So... thanks to you, guys, I've decided to pick up Mummy.

Now, the question is: which books to buy - aside from the core rulebook, that is? I know there aren't that many of them, but I wonder which of them would be most useful? My money's a bit limited...

I feel that the Deceived book could be important and that the Guilds book could be useful, too. On the other hand, I don't feel particularly inclined to buy the DC setting book, as I don't think I'd be playing in this city anyway. What about Sothis Ascends, though? Is it important?

Guildhalls is invaluable. Decieved is really good (though not strictly necessary - get it if you can, but it can be cut if needed for a core Mummy game). Sothis Ascends is great for settings and a look at various points in time, but, due to the nature of Memory, can always be incorporated later if budget is an issue.

Mummy has a minimal cult setup thus far, but if you want to expand the cult's role and utility, Arcanist has some very good Cult rules on the general forums. Thread. Document (still being formatted). Though that probably isn't necessary for initial games (where it is often best to keep things simple).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I will second all of what Vent said. Thanks to memory issues and occult ideas, the Deceived book and Sothis can be explored much later. The core book and Guildhalls is really the best place to start. I made the mistake of rushing into the later information, and realized my pyramid had skipped the foundation, so to speak. DC does serve as more than setting material--it shows what a Nome actually looks like (which is something most of us had a tough time understanding at first), and it shows a few interesting hacks (One involving cutting down the massive amounts of sybaris in a big city is particularly handy). But yes, the game works perfectly fine with the core and the guildhalls book, until the player's memories are high enough to explore sothic turns. One thing, though--as a storyteller, I think Dreams of Avarice was a nice guide to both the cosmology and the way a Mummy's life experiences are. It explains the fivefold soul, duat, and if gives the big final spoilers. On one hand, having it can help guide a storyteller much better than just the storyteller's section of the core. OTOH, having it may tempt you to rush things, jump the shark, and reveal things too early. So, your mileage may vary on that one, especially if you want to experience the slow reveal of the secrets that those of us here since the beginning experienced.

Comment

To give you a basic rundown:

Guildhalls of the Deathless: Basically your player's guide. It describes the Guilds (the social organizations that mummies belong to) in greater detail, describing their beliefs, practices, and secrets. There's also some cool new powers here. It's nothing mindblowing, but can help you understand the somewhat nebulous Guilds, and extra toys to play with are always fun.

Book of the Deceived: An antagonist book detailing the mummies of the sixth Lost Guild. It provides extensive rules for playing as the Deceived, who use some different rules from the Arisen; it also has a ton of backstory in it. I actually hated Mummy when it came out, but the rich mythology laid out by this book hooked me enough to give the game another shot and I fell in love. Can't recommend it enough.

Cursed Necropolis: DC: A setting book for Washington, DC, laying out the local political scene and giving some tidbits on stuff like magical architecture. While perfectly serviceable, it all depends on whether or not you need a pre-made setting; unless your game is set in DC, there's not enough here IMHO.

Sothis Ascends: A guide to the Sothic Turns, the cycle of 1,461 years that shapes life as a mummy, as well as historical settings (Fifth Dynasty Egypt, 10th Century BCE Mediterranean, Sixth Century AD Europe and North Africa). This book is 100% for Storytellers, but is an absolute blast to read and a huge help for understanding the flashback-heavy nature of Mummy.

Dreams of Avarice: A book entirely done in-character (no rules whatsoever), this is equal parts Iremite mythology and the memoirs of The Heretic, first and only mummy to escape service to the Judges and regain his Memory. A fascinating read if you love the lore behind the game, if a little dense and archaic; I adored it.

The Avarice Chronicle: A pre-made chronicle that originally spanned multiple books, now compiled and sold on its own. The gist of it is that a particularly ,ean Shuankhsen is hunting The Heretic and Dreams of Avarice, and it falls to your player characters to stop him. Of little use unless you want to run something already done for you; I didn't love it.

Personally, I'd say to grab Book of the Deceived and Sothis Ascends first, but Guildhalls is also a safe bet and might be more useful than Deceived.

Other useful stuff: Hunter has a book called Mortal Remains that has a chapter devoted to Mummy, and it gives us new antagonists in the form of a group of cult deprogrammers and a cult that eats Mummies to steal their powers. Dark Eras is a book of historical settings for all of the games, and Mummy gets a Victorian/WW1 chapter in it. The upcoming Dark Eras Companion gives us two more Mummy settings, Egypt during Cleopatra's reign and the Mutapa Empire (West Africa, where Zimbabwe is now) in the 1600s.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I would say that the three best books in the line are the Core Rulebook (make sure not to just get the player's half of it), Sothis Ascends, and Book of the Deceived (along with the free supplement Lore of the Deceived).

The only one I'd say to stay away from is the ready-made characters pack, since the writer seemed more used to vampires than mummies.

I don't see Guildhalls as quite as essential as the others, but that's because I really liked the presentation of the guilds in the core book.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

A question about Mortal Remains: is it worth of picking up? Are there new compacts and conspiracies in there - like, say, a group that would deal with changelings? I'm asking, as I really like Hunter and its supplements, but I'm not sure if this one is worth of picking up right now...

Oh, and BTW. - is Dark Eras out already?
            Last edited by Varsovian; 04-28-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Varsovian View Post
              A question about Mortal Remains: is it worth of picking up? Are there new compacts and conspiracies in there - like, say, a group that would deal with changelings? I'm asking, as I really like Hunter and its supplements, but I'm not sure if this one is worth of picking up right now...
              Mortal Remains does have new Compacts and Conspiracies (and Endowments). It also has some updates to the existing Compacts and Conspiracies (and Endowments).

It talks about and has information on Prometheans, Changelings, Sin-Eaters, Mummies, and Demons. Basically, for covering every other splat that didn't have a dedicated book (like Night Stalkers was for Vampires).

Backer PDFs are, but it looks like the main product hasn't been released for sale yet.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Mortal Remains has four new groups; two Compacts, two Conspiracies, one of each for Mummy and Demon. Promethean, Changeling, and Geist also get chapters, but no associated groups. The chapters vary pretty wildly in quality, but I really liked the new groups.

Dark Eras is out, but te Companion is not. It's really good.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  The chapters vary pretty wildly in quality
                  Very much this. They are worth a read, but don't get discouraged if you start on one of the weaker sections.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Dark Eras is out, but te Companion is not. It's really good.
                  It is? I did a quick check on DriveThruRPG and didn't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Very much this. They are worth a read, but don't get discouraged if you start on one of the weaker sections.

It is? I did a quick check on DriveThruRPG and didn't see it.
                    I backed it on Kickstarter and got it like a month back. Wasn't aware the general release hadn't gone out yet, whoops!

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                      I would say that the three best books in the line are the Core Rulebook (make sure not to just get the player's half of it), Sothis Ascends, and Book of the Deceived (along with the free supplement Lore of the Deceived).

The only one I'd say to stay away from is the ready-made characters pack, since the writer seemed more used to vampires than mummies.

I don't see Guildhalls as quite as essential as the others, but that's because I really liked the presentation of the guilds in the core book.
                      I would put Guildhalls before Sothis Ascends, though, and it's because I was kinda underwhelmed by Guild social structure in the core.

A question about Mortal Remains: is it worth of picking up?
                      No

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                        I would put Guildhalls before Sothis Ascends, though, and it's because I was kinda underwhelmed by Guild social structure in the core.
                        Guildhalls is a quality work with solid mechanics. I didn't care for the guild presentation or guildhall social structure, but that's just a preference - not my opinion on the supplement's quality. In truth, I was expecting cults to have a larger role in a society for the usually dead.

As for Mortal Remains, it is absolutely not essential. That said, it has a fantastic section on the psychology of cultists and an awesome faction of cult-deprogrammers that I will definitely use if I get a chance to run Mummy.
                        Last edited by Octavo; 04-29-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
                          As for Mortal Remains, it is absolutely not essential. That said, it has a fantastic section on the psychology of cultists and an awesome faction of cult-deprogrammers that I will definitely use if I get a chance to run Mummy.
                          What, no love for the Cannibal-Cult Conspiracy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            What, no love for the Cannibal-Cult Conspiracy?
                            Oh, I do love Filamena's Faithful of Shulpae. That conspiracy writeup is evocative standalone short-form horror fiction. I don't know that I'd use them in a game, but the writing is gold.

Comment

If you're looking to get into Mummy then no, it's not essential or worth picking up a book from another gameline

Comment

Working...
                              X