Soul and Word: Mortal Mummy Magic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
    Going by this, I would suggest that a sorcerer who draws on himself for Sekhem should spend a dot of Integrity, along with Willpower points equal to the Relic's rating. Human sacrifice and Sekhem harvested via a Greater Amkhat might be effective shortcuts, but both have their respective drawbacks.
    Hm. I'm not seeing how Integrity has any place in it, though. Also, would a mortal sorcerer's Talisman be equivalent to a Mummy's Talisman? Other than storing Sekhem, Talismans have other powers, I recall. But for the purposes here, the mortal is really just creating something that can let them operate at Sekhem 1.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      Hm. I'm not seeing how Integrity has any place in it, though. Also, would a mortal sorcerer's Talisman be equivalent to a Mummy's Talisman? Other than storing Sekhem, Talismans have other powers, I recall. But for the purposes here, the mortal is really just creating something that can let them operate at Sekhem 1.
      Integrity was described as being the strength of a given person's soul, yes? And Sekhem is defined as life energy?

Fluff-wise, I was thinking that a mortal sorcerer who spends an Integrity dot to create a Talisman is essentially imprinting the desired Relic to his soul. That sort of communion, though, is potentially crippling. Especially if you go for the idea that it permanently reduces your maximum Integrity score by one dot.

Regarding Talisman Manifestations, I'd say they should be able to benefit from it. That way, it would make relics of higher dot ratings highly prized (and coveted) among Sekhem Sorcerers.

I also have another drawback idea in mind for adapting this tidbit....

"A talisman cannot be permanently destroyed or sacrificed to Duat. Any such attempt causes the talisman to return to the maker’s person the next time she resurrects."

Would something like this require a Merit for mortal sorcerers to use? Hmm. Either way, I imagine that attempts to destroy or sacrifice a Talisman tied to a given sorcerer (meaning the Sekhem used to create it must not have been taken from an Arisen) would still cause them to reappear on their person. However, it could probably be at the start "of the next chapter"? And maybe a Talisman's (attempted) destruction/sacrifice would inflict lethal damage and/or Willpower loss equal to its dot rating?

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Integrity was described as being the strength of a given person's soul, yes? And Sekhem is defined as life energy?
        Yeah, I guess so.

Fluff-wise, I was thinking that a mortal sorcerer who spends an Integrity dot to create a Talisman is essentially imprinting the desired Relic to his soul. That sort of communion, though, is potentially crippling. Especially if you go for the idea that it permanently reduces your maximum Integrity score by one dot.
        Oh, their definitely using their own soul if/when they bind a Talisman, I was just thinking Willpower. Willpower reduction also weakens them as far a Effective Pillars, too.

Regarding Talisman Manifestations, I'd say they should be able to benefit from it. That way, it would make relics of higher dot ratings highly prized (and coveted) among Sekhem Sorcerers.
        I have to reread that part to get a full grasp of the implications.

I also have another drawback idea in mind for adapting this tidbit....

"A talisman cannot be permanently destroyed or sacrificed to Duat. Any such attempt causes the talisman to return to the maker’s person the next time she resurrects."

Would something like this require a Merit for mortal sorcerers to use? Hmm. Either way, I imagine that attempts to destroy or sacrifice a Talisman tied to a given sorcerer (meaning the Sekhem used to create it must not have been taken from an Arisen) would still cause them to reappear on their person. However, it could probably be at the start "of the next chapter"? And maybe a Talisman's (attempted) destruction/sacrifice would inflict lethal damage and/or Willpower loss equal to its dot rating?
        Sure? Though if our potential mad Sekhem sorcerer is going whole hog, they might use the (yet to be codified) Craft-Soul-Into-External-Relic method (with the optional Eternal package), which might get complicated?

Comment

Oh, their definitely using their own soul if/when they bind a Talisman, I was just thinking Willpower. Willpower reduction also weakens them as far a Effective Pillars, too.
          Hmm. Then, how about modifiying Arcanist's Relic Creation rules for the process of making a Talisman? Make the cost one Willpower dot if not using stolen Sekhem, and have it also double as a breaking point for the sorcerer at a penalty equal to the would-be Talisman's dot rating?

Sure? Though if our potential mad Sekhem sorcerer is going whole hog, they might use the (yet to be codified) Craft-Soul-Into-External-Relic method (with the optional Eternal package), which might get complicated?
          Hmm. Perhaps you could use this 2E Conversion for Eternals here as a base for that?

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Hmm. Then, how about modifiying Arcanist's Relic Creation rules for the process of making a Talisman? Make the cost one Willpower dot if not using stolen Sekhem, and have it also double as a breaking point for the sorcerer at a penalty equal to the would-be Talisman's dot rating?
            Sure.

Hmm. Perhaps you could use this 2E Conversion for Eternals here as a base for that?
            Sure.

Comment

Updated the first post. Please let me know what you think regarding the proposed mechanics.

Also, considering Pillars map to other Attributes, what are the thoughts of instead tying Effective Pillars to those Attributes? Or just capping the max Effective Pillar by its Attribute?
              Last edited by Vent0; 06-22-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Bump?

Does no one have any ideas or feedback regarding the recent changes?

Regarding Pillars, what about instead of Risen Pillars, rated 5, which has effective Pillars based upon Willpower, it's just Risen Pillar [Pillar] 1-5 which each version tracking to a different Pillar? An Advanced version is still required for them to be able to hold any actual Pillar points (the basic version just grants access to Affinities, mostly). That means to "equal" a Mummy, a mortal still pays the same XP (2E Pillars have been priced at 2XP per dot before, so for a mortal to get full use out of the Pillar, they essentially buy the basic and advanced version of Risen Pillar for that dot).

Risen Pillar (Supernatural, • to •••••)
                Effect: You’ve figured out how to harness the five-fold energies of the Pillars of your soul. Choose a Pillar (Ab, Ba, Ka, Ren, and Sheut) - you gain an effect rating in one Pillar equal to the dots in this merit. This merit can be chosen multiple times, once for each Pillar. The first instance of this merit you acquire become your "defining Pillar", much like a Mummy's Decree. No other versions of this merit can exceed you rating in the defining Pillar.
                If an ability or effect calls for expending a Pillar point, you may instead spend Willpower on a 1-for-1 basis. [Or no, and make such characters get the Advanced version of the Merit?]

Notes: These effective Pillars allow you to acquire Soul and Miscellaneous Affinities just as the Deathless do, and even qualify for Utterance Tiers, if you might otherwise possess such Utterances. Major life changes (such as completing long term Aspirations) might let you re-declare your defining Pillar.

Risen Pillar, Advanced
                (Supernatural, • to •••••)
                Prerequisite:
                Risen Pillar •+ (must possess at least as many dots in the basic version of Risen Pillars for the chosen Pillar)
                Effect: You have fortified your Pillar to the point where it can generate and store its own mystical energies. You can now store and spend actual Pillar points as if you possessed dots in the chosen Pillar, up to the number of dots in this merit. This merit can be chosen multiple times, once for each Pillar.

Pillar points can be regained through Meditation - Once per 24-hour period, a character may spend a scene (or an hour) in meditation to recover Pillar points. They strengthen their soul by taking refuge in their identity and sense of self. Roll Morality/Integrity as a dice pool - each success regenerates one Pillar point of the character’s choice. (Willpower can’t be spent for extra dice.)

Notes: These Pillar points can be spent on anything Pillar points can otherwise be spent on, such as activating certain Relics. At the Storyteller's option, these points might also be spent in place of Willpower for any Supernatural Merits the character might possess.
                Last edited by Vent0; 07-01-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Still intend to finish up the Living Relic rules (once my muse swings back towards Mummy).

For now, what about this?

Seeker (••)
                  Prerequisites: Witness, Occult 1+, Unseen Sense (Arisen, Relics, Sekhem, etc.)
                  Effect: Your sensitivity to ancient mystic energies has developed to the point you have a sixth sense regarding where Relics, ancient or recent, might be found. You gain the sense of Kepher, except you can detect Relics of any nature and roll Wits + Composure instead of Sekhem.
                  Drawback: Whenever your Kepher sense triggers without you activating it directly, you become obsessed with finding the object whispering to you. Gain the Fixation Derangement (1E) or the Obsession Condition (2E) until you directly observe the Relic in question. Additionally, certain forces may use you like an occult bloodhound, following you toward objects of power.

Great for mortal Relic hunters, Indiana Jones, or favored Mummy Cultists.
                  Last edited by Vent0; 01-24-2017, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X