For fun: post-apocalyptic Mummy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For fun: post-apocalyptic Mummy

There's been a topic on mummies in space, but what about mummies in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Did anyone ponder this in any greater depth?

The way I see it, the Arisen would have a real field day in a stereotypical post-apocalypse world. Collapse of polite society, Darwinian rule of might and bands of half-crazed survivors willing to buy anything you say as long as it gives them some sense of purpose and stability would let the Guilds resume the roles they played in the Nameless Empire and reclaim the world once more for the Shan'iatu and the Judges. Granted, not every mummy would be equally enthusiastic about the new circumstances - e.g. I can't see the Tef-Aabhi being too happy about all the millennia of their geomantic work going down the drain - but those hidebound loyalists awaiting or seeking to bring about the return of Irem would have their work cut out for them.

From the players' perspective, I'm seeing it as something of a power trip. You're one of the individually strongest beings in the world, the need to keep your existence secret goes out the window when global communication and world governments stop being a thing, and people will flock to you for protection from the hostile environment (and other people, because people will stop fighting people only when the last of our species is dead). You can play Immortan Joe who's actually immortal and capable of world-shaking acts of magic, ruling his half-crazed flock of cultists with an iron fist! Or, you can be the benevolent protector-god out to restore civilization, if that's your thing. Be wary, though, because your enemies can likewise move much more openly, and many Arisen will surely not share your vision for this brave new world.

Anyone else thinks it's a good idea? Did anyone try playing something like that? What sort of post-apocalyptic scenario do you think this works best with? I'm leaning towards the good ol' nuclear annihilation, because I'm a sucker for classics but there's certainly fun to be had in other scenarios, be it an invasion from the Shadow or a deadly pandemic. Any ideas for really crazy mummy cults emerging from civilization's ruins?

When talking about post-Apocalyptic, it's important to clarify what the Apocalypse is, and some considerations.

Types (I can see):
    • Nuclear -
      • Cities - Infrastructure is wrecked, but there are still clean patches.
      • Wasteland - Entire countries are irradiated dead-zones, and livable space is a premium.
      • Winter - The world grows dark in nuclear winter. Even just trying to survive is a chore anywhere.
    • Zombie - Perhaps there was a bad case of Nenitu Gone Wild, or something else, but the walking (mindless) dead now plague the world.
      • Viral - Zombie-ism is spread by some vector, so tracking the infection is a consideration.
      • Curse - Some mystic (or super-science-y?) reason causes the dead to rise in a region, or if given criteria are met.
    • Natural Disaster - A series of massive earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, asteroid impacts, etc.
    • Global War - Either between nations (but not nuclear) or against some alien force, much of the world is a blasted ruin. Enemy may or may not still be around.
    • Super-virus - People dead, everything else standing.
    • Mystery - Most of the population just goes poof. Like super-virus, but with less bodies, and more questions.
    Civilization (or what's left)
    • Near Extinction - It's a valid question whether there are any other people really left.
    • Stone Age - People are reduced to the very beginnings of civilization.
    • Scavenger Barbarism - Pick another equivalent era of tech and society, but vicious warlords rule.
    • Points of Light - Small, isolated groupings of civilization still exist.
    • Megacities - What's left of civilization is grouped together into ultra-dense enclaves.
    Last edited by Vent0; 06-27-2016, 10:06 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Like I wrote above, I tend to default to a Fallout-esque setting, i.e. nuclear wasteland and something between scavenger barbarism and rather weak points of light, depending where you look - the civilization at large has disintegrated, but enough technological artifacts persist for scavengers to flourish, and in some places larger, more permanent settlements with some semblance of civilization begin forming, but most of the world is a radioactive wasteland full of mutated horrors and crazed raiders.

Admittedly, the reasons I like the nuclear part aren't directly related to Mummy (I almost never run my games with purely one game line, and CofD is full of stuff that makes for an awesome, pulpy nuclear wasteland, beginning with everything Zeky-related), but I think the civilizational level you nicely named scavenger barbarism would work splendidly for a MtC game. Cults are a big part of fun with Mummy, and the barbaric, decentralized world full of the crazy and the desperate is fertile soil for uniquely fucked up tribal cults and highly fortified settlements trying to become the seed of the new Nameless Empire. Also, because I really, really like the idea of an ancient immortal uttering the words "shiny and chrome"

Comment

I actually had some notes on various Apocalyptic and post-Apocalyptic game-lines. One of them for Mummy was more Mega-city based - the only places protected were cities with functioning Nomes. Mummies and the Guilds now openly rule these densely packed metrapolii, with Arisen and their Sadikh venturing forth into the wastes in search of necessary supplies, materials, and Relics, while others still keep order back at home. Like Mummy Judge Dread.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          I actually had some notes on various Apocalyptic and post-Apocalyptic game-lines. One of them for Mummy was more Mega-city based - the only places protected were cities with functioning Nomes. Mummies and the Guilds now openly rule these densely packed metrapolii, with Arisen and their Sadikh venturing forth into the wastes in search of necessary supplies, materials, and Relics, while others still keep order back at home. Like Mummy Judge Dread.
          That's also cool! In my vision, this is what might happen if you give mummies a couple hundred years to rebuild the civilization under their rule.

Comment

I imagine Stone Age or Scavenger Barbarian post-apocalyptic scenarios would get very complicated for low-Memory Arisen. They'd probably end up confusing the 'modern' world for an immediately post-Irem scenario. That and with Utterances and the Deathless condition they would be even more gods among men than even in the modern world.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I'd say it'd be as straightforward an experience for the low-Memory ones as possible - Arisen tend not to remember their lives in Irem, but seem to have a solid recollection of Irem's overall social mores. For the first time in millennia, they will awaken to a world that works roughly according to their innate expectations.

It's the high-Memory ones that are likely to take things badly, as the more Arisen recall about their past, the less happy they tend to be about all that Iremite business.

Then again, the way things kinda resemble Irem in such a scenario may cause many Arisen to have flashbacks and start reclaiming their memories. This could lead to the greatest schism in the history of the Deathless as a large number of mummies starts researching Apotheosis while the others try to rebuild the Empire in the wasteland.

Comment

I imagine a post-apocalyptic world (where the event was nasty enough to destroy civilization, rather than leave it broken into pieces) is one that coalesces around the Guilds. The Deathless rise and remember little but their sacred tasks, with any unwilling to join their Cults cast out beyond the walls. With the end of everything, the Diasporic Code no longer applies, and the Deathless freely rule as distant, wrathful gods. Many grow complacent with an entire community dedicated to serving them, save for those who loathe such an existence or simply lack a ready supply of mortal servants. I imagine Merets share settlements and often war for new cultists from among the dwindled stock of humanity.

Sesha-Hebsu enclaves are obsessive nests of lore from the dead world, sprawling warrens full of obsessively-collected information on everything from animal hide to flash drives. They will pay any price - water, food, protection, ammunition - for traces of the Word recovered from the wastes, but jealously guard their hoards, burying their secrets behind the most devout cultists and most deadly traps. A rare few Scribes disdain this life of passive collection and set out into the blasted lands to once more take up their mantle of judge and keeper of orthodoxy. For a few unlucky enclaves, a lone Deathless stranger has meant their utter end and the dismemberment of their Deathless protector.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Worth considering that one need not resort to a stand alone game (although post-apocalypse can be fun all by itself). Volcanoes, earthquakes, disease like Justinian's plague or the black death (or small pox in America) can give you all the aspects of that kind of setting on a regional level. One great part of Mummy is that you can take advantage of any point in history, including widespread disaster and devastation.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
                    Worth considering that one need not resort to a stand alone game (although post-apocalypse can be fun all by itself). Volcanoes, earthquakes, disease like Justinian's plague or the black death (or small pox in America) can give you all the aspects of that kind of setting on a regional level. One great part of Mummy is that you can take advantage of any point in history, including widespread disaster and devastation.
                    Sure, you can, but it's not quite the same for me without crazed raider-cultists in scrap armor and cargo cults forming around the remnants of modern technology and whatnot. Also, with any historical era/event, we know how things will end (spoiler: badly for the Arisen who try to rule in the open), whereas in the apocalyptic future, all bets are off.

Comment

Ammut's Jaws swing low!

It would be hella awesome for Cults to kick into overdrive, as Arisen salvage Edens with their magic, and a new age of Relics! It would be a great time to achieve Apotheosis! I like Meteors! Meteors and Atomic weapons, collapse society, and the near extinction of humanity brings a huge onrush of supernatural menaces from the various Beyonds!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                      X