The Doomed Pharaohs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doomed Pharaohs

Hi guys. Looking for some advice. I wanna introduce a villain into the game who was once a Pharaoh of Irem. Bear in mind, being the Pharaoh meant being a figurehead that would be martyred by the Shan'iatu. But one assumes they still had a fair amount of power for all of that, at least compared the other non-gods within the city. In any event, we know that the Rite of Return was being prepared for at least a century or three in advance, which means many Pharaohs could be executed specifically for the Rite well in advance of the city's disappearance. My question is whether this villain would be better suited as a Deathless, a Deceived, or a Shuankhsen. I figure if the Pharaohs were to be counted in any Guild, it would surely be the Deceived. But their status as sacrifices implies a unique sort of Shuankhsen. But I can also make a case for some of the other "normal" Guilds, especially the Priests of the Shell or the Closed Books or even those Born of Gold. Have any thoughts?

I would definitely see them as head-honcho Shuankhsen.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

For some reason my brain immediately went to "Sentient Bane Uter"

Comment

If they become Deathless/Lifeless at all I'd say it would be as a Shunankhsen or an Uter. The Pharaoh was sacrificed as a ritual stand-in for Azar, and I imagine that the template for the Rite of Return started with the ritualized killing of the king. The Deceived were artisans and favored servants/keepers of the Great House, and the Guilds were generally middle class citizens or lesser nobility- I doubt a Pharaoh would be amongst them. Maybe someone related to the Great House might be.

Comment

I'd say Shuankhsen. But I can imagine a Lifeless Pharaoh would also have a repertoire of Dread Powers to further distinguish it.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I would make up something new. It doesn't seem fitting for me to just hammer a pharaoh the role of slave or artist just because. So why not make hims some Cthonic spirit, using the whole idea that the Spine of Azar mutates Ghosts.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Where is this Spine of Azar idea?

Also, it depends on what you want out of this villain. You haven't told us much about him, his goals, or personality, so it's hard for me to think of what he might be. The Empire fell a long, long time ago; who's to say he isn't over it and moved on?

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                Where is this Spine of Azar idea?
                I think Eldagusto is referring to the Minor Djed. Their Curse twists ghosts, making them stronger and increasingly inhuman. The Djed were intended to represent the Spine of Azar. The Pharaoh was meant to be Azar. I can see it being a thing.

Comment

Lucid Revenant, but with the fivefold soul and pillars added to the mix - and causing a deep seated instinct in humans that he should be in charge of them.

I could see why he might be a Shuankhsen, in that if he was sacrificed, he was presumably fed to Ammut. But if he is, he might be still be different in some ways: he might still have all five pillars (but maybe most are stuck at 1), he might still cause the aforementioned deep seated instinct.

If he's a normal Shuankhsen, I could see him having an enormous chip on his shoulder about it, and being strongly at cross-purposes with the other Shuankhsen - thinking he should be in charge of then, and them not having any of it. [A vicious contest between him and another Lifeless might be a clue that there's something odd about his motives?]

I don't see him being a Deathless or Deceived. The people pressed into those roles were the kind of people who might in another regime be considered apprentices to the Shan'iatu. The Pharaoh sounds like a different thing.

Comment

Hmm. They sound distinct enough that they should probably be something unique. Maybe a hybrid Ghost/Lifeless? Make them seomthing like a Rank 4-5 Ghost, with Pillars, Affinities, and Utterances, who while inhabiting/Claiming a corpse has the composite being treated as a Lifeless/Shuankhsen? Give them some quality or Numina to make them immune or resistant to the various ways Arisen/Deceived have to mess with ghosts, and you should be good.

Ghosts, as ephemerals, are hard to permanently kill (Corpus and Essence both need to be reduced to 0).
                    A Rank 4-5 Claiming gets you crazy Attribute boosts and Dread Powers.
                    Tossing in Pillars, Affinities, and/or Utterances adds both familiarity and "Oh, shit" power.
                    The "needs to be worshiped" bit fits well with how ghosts regain Essence (by being remembered - I'd bet a slew of worship would count).

Additional Plot ideas:
                    • A forgotten bit of Iremite Geomancy serves as one of their Anchors. It must be destroyed/altered to banish them, but such an action may anger the Judges.
                    • The Pharaoh is bound to a particular bloodline, leading to stories of protecting some heir before they can be taken over and incarnate the Pharaoh anew.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Hmm. They sound distinct enough that they should probably be something unique. Maybe a hybrid Ghost/Lifeless? Make them seomthing like a Rank 4-5 Ghost, with Pillars, Affinities, and Utterances, who while inhabiting/Claiming a corpse has the composite being treated as a Lifeless/Shuankhsen? Give them some quality or Numina to make them immune or resistant to the various ways Arisen/Deceived have to mess with ghosts, and you should be good.
                      I can see Pillars being treated more or less like Influences, if that's the case. And we can probably use idigam as another loose reference for the power sets an Iremite Pharaoh could have.

Also, they should probably have the Immortal Dread Power and a Bane by default.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

I can see Pillars being treated more or less like Influences, if that's the case. And we can probably use idigam as another loose reference for the power sets an Iremite Pharaoh could have.

Also, they should probably have the Immortal Dread Power and a Bane by default.
                        Well, Idigam would add another book/game-line for material (Werewolf: the Forsaken) which might not be available. Ghosts are in Core.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                          I think Eldagusto is referring to the Minor Djed. Their Curse twists ghosts, making them stronger and increasingly inhuman. The Djed were intended to represent the Spine of Azar. The Pharaoh was meant to be Azar. I can see it being a thing.

Yes.

I would explore a metamorphosis upon the sacrificed Pharaoh's spirit. Mutated by his ritualistic murder, the Greater Djed, and his own bitterness. Make him like some sort of reflection of a God. Use Lucid Dead, and give him appropriate influences and master over Spirits of Death and the Duat. He would be like a King Cthonic spirit. Have fun with it. Treat the passing Millenia as transformative stage, with each Sothic Turn he becomes more an it. Tie in his memories of his life fading as a mirror of the PC's own memory issues. And his struggle while seeming to be the Godking of the World he was only a puppet in a gilded cage. Maybe he is bound to his role, or you could feel like trying to find a way to escape it. He is an embodiment of the price paid for the Great workings of the Shan'iatu. Give him inhumanly high stats where appropriate, and low stats in an area to represent a flicker of his human origins, like perhaps he may have low/average intelligence. Give him charms, spirit influences, and Utterances and Affinities. I see making him something like a Geist, but even more inhuman and other due to the nature of Cthonic spirits.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                          X