Nameless Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nameless Gods

Okay, so...who do identify the Nameless Gods with as far as actual Egyptians gods are concerned? I know that's a broad question. I ask because some of them are obvious (Osiris, for example) but others are much less intuitive. In particular, who is the Nameless Bull in your mind? Atum, perhaps? What about Apophis? Sometimes when I'm trying to come up with stories and cults I get the associations tangled in my head so I figured this might help. Thanks.

Heru is the Nameless Lion and Sutek is the Nameless Serpent, if I remember right. Hathor is the main Egyptian bull deity (though Apis is also super good), but the Iremite gods seem to have shifted around their sacred animals.

Apep is pretty clearly represented by the Devourer and also reflects how Sutek was demonized by the Judges for his rebellion and Will.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I've personally made Apep as a Devourer corrupted Idigam (together with Deionscribe and Arcanist, who made the mechanics), and I've also toyed with how other Egyptian gods have their origin in Irem (especially developing Nephthys beyond the River of Blood and Sobek).

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
      I now blog in here

Comment

atamajakki
        Something's off. Heru is Horus, isn't he? That would make him the Nameless Falcon.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

The only lion I can bring to mind off the top of my head is Sekhmet, though Google also offered Maahes.

Comment

If I recall correctly, in the Mummy Core Re was the Nameless Lion, Sutekh was the Nameless Serpent, Aset was the Nameless Falcon, Ptah was the Nameless Bull, and Anpu was the Namless Jackal. According to Dreams of Avarice, specifically the section "The Ladder of Sutekh" the god Sutekh, through the Heretic, indicates that the gods of the Pillars are Maahes, Heru, Hapi, Wadjet, and Anpu. Since the animal associations of the rest are obvious, I'd assume that Hapi is the Bull in this interpretation.

Just to make things a little more confusing, "The Works of Azar" from Dreams of Avarice mentions Heru, but doesn't call him the Nameless Falcon, instead he is the inforcer of Azar, a divinely empowered animal who chases Re through the sky. The text makes a point of mentioning that some of these bits may have been later additions after the Arisen encountered historical Kemet, and presenting Re as a coward is the same sort of politically-driven religious change that demonizing Sutekh was. The Mummy Core also mentions Sekhmet in relation to the Ab, calling Arisen who name Ab as their Decree alternatively Sphinxes and Hands of Sekhmet.

And on top of all that, Book of the Deceived indicates that Aset was actually a human magic-user (possibly a Sekhem Sorcerer?) who was the lover of one of the Temakh, and after the Temakh turned on Azar and ritually dismembered him into 42 pieces, they fed him to Aset over a period of 42 days and then sacrificed her so that so would take Azar down to Duat. Apparently the star Sopdet was created at that time, but the memories of the Temakh are... unreliable at best. Either way, "The Whispers of Azar" confirms that Aset was a mortal woman sacrificed by the Temakh so that Azar, shrouded behind a mortal soul, could pass by the scrutiny of his brother Anpu and enter Duat. Apparently, since "The Whispers of Azar" are supposed to be the words of the god directly presented through the Heretic, Aset alone of all mortals is spared any sort of judgement, since she carried Azar into Duat as his 'mother' and then he takes her as a queen. Dreams of Avarice also mentions the Primordial Gods/Forces, Khepera, Atum, Nu, Nut, Keb, Shu, Tefnut, the 42 Judges of the Law (whom later Kemetic religion would call the Assessors of Ma'at), and lastly the Devourer.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
              If I recall correctly, in the Mummy Core Re was the Nameless Lion, Sutekh was the Nameless Serpent, Aset was the Nameless Falcon, Ptah was the Nameless Bull, and Anpu was the Namless Jackal. According to Dreams of Avarice, specifically the section "The Ladder of Sutekh" the god Sutekh, through the Heretic, indicates that the gods of the Pillars are Maahes, Heru, Hapi, Wadjet, and Anpu. Since the animal associations of the rest are obvious, I'd assume that Hapi is the Bull in this interpretation.
              You are correct, buuuut the section that identifies the Nameless Gods in the Core book notes that the names are taken from later mythology and weren't necessarily the ones used by Irem. Ptah in particular is said to be an unknown god to the awakening Arisen of the first Sothic Turn via Sothis Ascends. I think the take away is that the "Nameless" aspect of the gods is intended to let us "plug in" whatever gods we want from Ancient Egypt (and beyond?) to tell whatever story we need to. My only trouble is that many of the gods have similar aspects which makes it tricky figuring out which ones should apply to which animal. The Nameless Bull in particular is hard to pin down since he doesn't play an obvious role in much of the material like Dreams of Avarice.

Comment

Working...
              X