Is Mummy: The Curse 1e or 2e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mummy: The Curse 1e or 2e?

I haven't dabbled in Mummy since the early 90's.

Is Mummy: The Curse first edition or second edition? Can I buy the books now and be good, or are we waiting on the 2e update?

It's still 1E, but I'm not waiting. I've bought all the books thus far and have run and played games using the usual 1E rules, and it's amazing.

Other people are content with waiting, or making their own updates (in fact, on the old forums, people were updating it to the G-M Chronicles before either book had been released).

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
    He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

Also keep in mind that 2e isn't likely to reproduce all the lore books either. Mechanics will undoubtedly be changed, but there's a lot of setting details that likely won't get a reprint in 2e format.

Comment

It's 1E, but it's written with a slightly more 2E frame of mind, thanks to it being the last game released pre-God-Machine Chronicles. Thankfully, 1E and 2E are pretty easy to reconcile (well done on that, Onyx Path), so it shouldn't matter too much.

If you want to get a bit meta, you can also have the Mummies use 1E mechanics unmodified alongside 2E characters.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
            It's 1E, but it's written with a slightly more 2E frame of mind, thanks to it being the last game released pre-God-Machine Chronicles. Thankfully, 1E and 2E are pretty easy to reconcile (well done on that, Onyx Path), so it shouldn't matter too much.

If you want to get a bit meta, you can also have the Mummies use 1E mechanics unmodified alongside 2E characters.
            I disagree, to be honest. Mummy was very much built with 1e's quirks in mind - they doubled down on 1e's Virtue/Vice setup by adding clauses specific to given Virtues or Vices, and arguably outside of Vampire Mummy was the only game that really embraced what Morality actually was with Memory, as opposed to Integrity. This makes sense, because IIRC Mummy and GMC shared very little development time, if at all, so by the time it was mostly set in stone there really wasn't an idea of what GMC was going to be.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
            - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Mummy is so deliberately 1E it hurts.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
              Work Blog Coming Soon
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I'm fearful and paranoid that its 2e mechanical updates will implicate setting changes that I won't like

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                  I'm fearful and paranoid that its 2e mechanical updates will implicate setting changes that I won't like
                  Such as what?.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby Jerusalem View Post

I disagree, to be honest. Mummy was very much built with 1e's quirks in mind - they doubled down on 1e's Virtue/Vice setup by adding clauses specific to given Virtues or Vices, and arguably outside of Vampire Mummy was the only game that really embraced what Morality actually was with Memory, as opposed to Integrity. This makes sense, because IIRC Mummy and GMC shared very little development time, if at all, so by the time it was mostly set in stone there really wasn't an idea of what GMC was going to be.
                    I wrote my parts of Mummy January to March one year, then outlined and wrote Left Hand Path, then wrote GMC's rules updates. Mummy was completely in the bag by the time we were working on God-Machine. (Some parts of Mummy, like the "playable" ghosts, were added later than the rest, but by a freelancer who had no sight of GMC.)

The Virtues and Vices thing was definitely not decided on when Mummy was written. I wrote Virtues and Vices in God-Machine, and believe me, if I'd known we were about to ditch the set lists I wouldn't have based Mad Ones' mechanics on them in Left Hand Path.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

The funny thing is that the 1e core does mention creating your own V/V sets but this just never got used much. Being able to key systems to specific personality traits using the 7/7 set was neat but was sacrificed for flexibility's sake.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

I actually saw that option get used in play once. A guy asked if he could use Fear as a Vice instead of the normal seven. It was awesome, but I never saw anyone do it again. Glad that 2e made it more central.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                          The funny thing is that the 1e core does mention creating your own V/V sets but this just never got used much. Being able to key systems to specific personality traits using the 7/7 set was neat but was sacrificed for flexibility's sake.
                          I just thought the phrasing was funny here, considering the context of this sub-forum. Was that intended?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I just thought the phrasing was funny here, considering the context of this sub-forum. Was that intended?

As Dave alluded to, if you have set V/Vs you can key specific mechanics off of them, like a series of limited object properties you can hook things to: "Characters with Wrath are especially benefited/harmed" for example. You can still to this with open V/V sets, but it relies on fuzzy natural language to a greater degree.

If I were to do a third crack at it (not that I was responsible for the first two) I'd probably keep a limited set of action triggers, but open up the narrative. So characters with a Violence trigger might possess any Vice the player describes that is satisfied through violent action. That way the player gets freedom and we can use these property-based mechanics. This is just a spitball though; I'd have to do playtest iterations before settling on the exact triggers.

Writer, Game Designer, Pro since 99.

Thoughts at mobunited.com

Comment

The old Virtue and Vice sets were responsible for two of my favourite bits if first edition writing: Guardian of the Veil Masques and the cod-scientologist personality quiz thing in Ordo Dracul.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Working...
                              X