No announcement yet.

Can a Promethean be it's own creator ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Promethean be it's own creator ?

I want to make a Promethean that created it self. The character is a mad genius. Who has been locked for so long they are now 85 and are being released. He has created a plan to have his youth once more by making himself a new body and transferring his mind into it. So I was thinking his mind transfers but in doing so his mind was ripped from his soul.

So is this possible ?

I ST almost exactly the same idea Tammuz PC in my Boston game! His Demiurge was elderly (Al)chemist on MIT that wanted to have new body, so he kidnapped and killed tough looking, football playing student. He hoped to transfer his identity in ritual, not knowing the Created are 'blank slate'. What's weird - it's partially worked! Newly Created Tammuz have flashes of memories not only from his previous body owner ( football playing student ) but also the Alchemist. Very confusing, but also very cool idea player got on this!

Only thing you must remember with Divine Fire - it always works - only not in the way particular character would think...

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
      I want to make a Promethean that created it self. The character is a mad genius. Who has been locked for so long they are now 85 and are being released. He has created a plan to have his youth once more by making himself a new body and transferring his mind into it. So I was thinking his mind transfers but in doing so his mind was ripped from his soul.

So is this possible ?
      I would say yes and no. Prometheans don't retain memories from their past lives, apart from occasional brief flashes, and those are pretty rare and seem alien to the Prometheans who experience them. Essentially, they are entirely new beings, who's consciousness is freshly created by the generative act. So, I could see this being a mad scientist's immortality scheme, and I could see him creating a new body and giving it life. But his consciousness would not persist within it, at least not if it were a Promethean. Wyrd's Tammuz is a cool idea though, including these strange memory flashes both from the life of the body's previous owner and from that of the scientist.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Rules as written, you're not going to retain memories. But even if you did, is that all that defines a person, his memories? I don't think so. I could see inventing an Advanced version of Residual Memory that allows the Promethean full access to a deceased human's memories; but even with that, the Promethean would be a new individual with hand-me-down memories that it won't know what to make of. Its personality will be driven as much by its Humour as anything else, and it will have its own predilections that bias what lessons it learns from those memories as it integrates then into its personality.

That said, you didn't say that the creator transferred his memories; you said he transferred his mind. What exactly do you think got transferred?

Comment

Tangentially, Immortals has a splat for body swappers that you might want to look at for inspiration/adjustment.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Even if a Promethean wouldn't naturally remember his old memories, if this made genius made himself a device to forcibly implant his memories into his new creation. That said, depending on how it worked it might not be a one and done device, so depending on the story you might have it used (on purpose or by accident) on other creatures and then have them also possess the same memories. Could make for an interesting antagonist.

Comment

So I could say that due to the mental problems he has and problems with the transfer destroys most of who he is but keeps the core personality with most memories destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                So I could say that due to the mental problems he has and problems with the transfer destroys most of who he is but keeps the core personality with most memories destroyed.
                It's not just a matter of whether or not "he keeps the core personality" or memories. Part of what makes a Promethean a Promethean is that it is a brand new person who was created by the Generative Act. If this scientist successfully creates a new body and puts himself (by whatever definition of "self" you want to use) into it, then the thing he created is not a Promethean. If he attempts to create a new body to put himself in and ends up creating a Promethean, it will not be "him", even if he succeeds in giving it his memories.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Hmmm so it could have like flashes of his mad memeories but not be him. Hmmmmm

Comment

Promethean is new person. He can have flashbacks to previous one body host, but in reality, he will be totally different human, in the end.

It's like... you are full amnesic and you will never get memories back. In the end, you will be new human - with maybe scraps of your old self, but new decisions and lack of balast from previous life will shape you into new personality.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      It's like... you are full amnesic and you will never get memories back. In the end, you will be new human - with maybe scraps of your old self, but new decisions and lack of balast from previous life will shape you into new personality.
                      Not even quite like that, although that is not a bad way to look at it. The Generative Act is literally the Promethean's birth. Sure, they're born with a lot more physically and mentally developed than humans, but it is the first moments of that being's existence.

Comment

What if it wasn't a new body? Rather than transferring himself into a victim, he was trying something that was supposed to rejuvenate him, or even regenerate him like a Time Lord. But the power involved consumed his soul and identity - while also calling down the Divine Fire - and left the same body, made younger, but still a blank slate. (I have a custom Lineage that believes their progenitor came about more or less like that).

Comment

I think I have a solution to have both! Have your mad scientist's psyche be trapped within the Promethean that he accidentally created in his mad bid for immortality and have that shard of the scientist's original psyche akin to a ghost that's trying to take over the Promethean's body and mind. Where if the Promethean achieves the New Dawn then the ghost will be destroyed, and of the ghost succeeds then it'll just revel in it's new power and abandons the Pilgrimage entirely?

Comment

Have you ever seen the film 9? The premise of the film is a scientist who created nine small, cloth-based Prometheans and infused each with an aspect of himself (his courage, his curiosity, his pride, etc). They were each their own person, just slanted towards the part of himself he used to make them but none of his memories. I really dug it and it fits well with the idea you have.

Eric Christian Berg
                            Onyx Path Freelancer
                            Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

Working...
                            X