[2E] Bostonian Alchemist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Bostonian Alchemist

In my Mage/Promethen game in Boston, I need Alchemist antagonist character. I still have a problem with grasping all of their themes, so maybe you can help me. I probably want from this character to be:
    1. Women ( I’m progressive ST, giving equal time for both male and female antagonists )
    2. At least surviving from the time of Golden Dawn affair ( for local historical reasons and plots ), circa 1900s.
    I probably can just make her ‘I’m in Alchemy for immortality’ kinda thing, but this feel to it flattens whole Alchemists idea. Was thinking about making her Chinese ( or at least Chinese descendent ), but this could seems a bit ethnic offensive and clash with highlighting some themes of local Golden Dawn thing.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-13-2016, 11:05 PM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
    MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
    MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Reading more on subject, I think that Alchemist would be in 1900 wealthy women interested in occult and Alchemy, probably lesbian. I'm still thinking what could be her reason to become Insensate Alchemist and her future from them. As 'semi-wealthy women employing her Sleepers help' can make varied antagonist for PCs, will probably go this route. Still, have problem grasping more idea on her motives than 'everlasting beauty'.

Comment

Vengeance. 1900 Boston was NOT a great place to be a woman, let alone a lesbian. Her motives/activities could include using the power of Alchemy to get revenge on her oppressors, or their descendants.

​Power. Living forever is nice; living like you own the place is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
        Vengeance. 1900 Boston was NOT a great place to be a woman, let alone a lesbian. Her motives/activities could include using the power of Alchemy to get revenge on her oppressors, or their descendants.
        If you want more grey, she could be in it to make things better for women rather than avenge herself on men - she's into alchemy as a means to live long enough to make that happen. Or maybe she started out that way, but the things she's done to keep living have hardened to the point where her goals are no longer so noble.

Comment

Cool idea Mangle77 and nice twist SunlessNick! Yes, I can totally see her as starting Alchemy to change Victorian patriarchy, only too ending hunting males on vengeance and Created to sustain her mission. Even with New England being one of most gay-friendly places in USA, she still thinks women and homosexuals are treated not good enough. In reality, she will probably never forgive men just being in society. Being ethereally young is nice addition.

Also, interesting question on Alchemists - Does killing Promethean is Breaking Point for them?

Comment

I have a name for her - Margaret Westcott, American alchemist from 1900s Boston bohema, very far related to William Wynn Westcott. Margaret, by decades now, faked her own death after next circa 20 years and show herself as her own next 'niece', inheriting fortune of her 'aunt'. Now she is official Evelyn Thompson. Still, do not have idea on the help she can employ as her servants.

Comment

If you need a very memorable character, look up Isabella Stewart Gardner. She'd make a good base for the character.

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
              New System and Setting Material

Comment

Reading now Hurt Locker, I think about giving support group to the Margaret / Evelyn. I was thinking about extremist feminism group, made of women hurt by man - physical abuse, rapes, even just mistreating of husbands. They started by literal abuse support group, now they are much more extreme and recruit mostly from Internet, even if still sticking to Boston terrain. Most of the time they just goes to rallies or protests. But they also teach members in self-defense. And once in a few months, they make more than just next occupation of prominent male politic. Margaret/Evelyn sponsor them from her century long wealth, her latest lover is hailing from group. She advise group on attacking of most prominent men in Boston. She only just ask them once or twice a year to kidnap strange beings that are not even humans…

You think it’s okay, or maybe I’m overdoing it? I still needs a name for this group.

Here are Violence Group traits…

Group Name: Women's Embrace
                Concept: Extremist support group
                Aspirations: Defeat ‘misogynists’, Help woman in need, Support women equality
                Virtue: Support (“Fight with man oppression!”)
                Vice: Wrath
                Average Member: Social 5, Physical 4, Mental 2
                Group Merits: Allies ( Women) 3, Contacts ( Activists ), Danger Sense, Fame 1, Organization Size 2, Resources 2, Safe Place 3, Status 2, Street Fighting 3
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-01-2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X