Scions in 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scions in 2E

Did a search on the topic, but just making sure - Scions are not statted out as a template as itself in 2E, right? Other than having "Immunity to Disquiet" somewhere on their character sheets, that is.

Pity, because I was kinda hoping that Scions would get expanded as a concept - encompassing not just the children of Prometheans, but the rare few who are born Fire-touched. Maybe this internal Fire causes a minor form of alienation from human society at large, mimicking Disquiet, allowing them to sympathize with Prometheans a bit more. I can also see them having abilities related to alleviating Disquiet and Wastelands, albeit saved for the wisest Scions out there. Maybe some go further and start looking for ways to harness the Fire, effectively becoming Alchemists, and some may forget their roots and turn Insatiate.

In other words, I'm looking for something that'd fit the niche of the Fae-Touched from Changeling (while I see Alchemists corresponding to the Fetches) - Thoughts?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

My thought for the Promethean equivalent of “Fae-Touched” is the Redeemed — specifically, those rare few Redeemed who completed all ten Refinements before achieving the New Dawn, and chose to remember. They're mortals, and yet they still have some command over the Divine Fire, as demonstrated that they still have an Alembic they can use.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-18-2016, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      My thought for the Promethean equivalent of “Fae-Touched” is the Redeemed — specifically, those rare few Redeemed who completed all ten Refinements before achieving the New Dawn, and chose to remember. They're mortals, and yet they still have some command over the Divine Fire, as demonstrated that they still have an Alembic they can use.
      Fair point, although I had the Redeemed in the same narrative space as all those "end-game" templates - elder vampires, bodhisattvas of the hunt, archmages, the True Fae - showing that not every supernatural creature equates "transcend my nature" with "become so powerful like whoa"

Comment

Can't it be both?

Comment

Can't it be both?
          Of course they can - we already have the Wolf-Blooded as a case of filling multiple niches afterall.

Comment

Also bear in mind that there are two kinds of Redeemed. Three, if you include the oops too soon crowd. You have those who remember, and those who don't. Those who remember are effectively a minor template. Those who don't are the not all rewards involve Supernatural power thing
            Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-18-2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Also bear in mind that there are two kinds of Redeemed. Three, if you include the oops too soon crowd. You have those who remember, and those who don't. Those who remember are effectively a minor template. Those who don't are the not all rewards involve Supernatural power thing
              May I ask what are the "Too Soon" types about? Do they retain their memories and/or powers?

Comment

They are the ones who redeemed with only four or five refinements.

Comment

They are the ones who redeemed with only four or five refinements.
                  So, they remember but without powers? That I can work with. Thanks for the guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

May I ask what are the "Too Soon" types about? Do they retain their memories and/or powers?
                    You need to have completed at least eight Roles to attempt the New Dawn and the outcome of a success depends on how many Refinements you completed, six being the threshold for being able to meaningfully decide which variety of Redeemed you become.

Completing fewer than six Refinements means you become human with patchy memories, recurring nightmares, and the Broken Condition for at least the next month unless you manage to resolve it; if you only completed four Refinements then you don't get the option of waiting it out.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post

You need to have completed at least eight Roles to attempt the New Dawn and the outcome of a success depends on how many Refinements you completed, six being the threshold for being able to meaningfully decide which variety of Redeemed you become.

Completing fewer than six Refinements means you become human with patchy memories, recurring nightmares, and the Broken Condition for at least the next month unless you manage to resolve it; if you only completed four Refinements then you don't get the option of waiting it out.
                      Thanks. It seems the Redemption is a lot more... how do I describe this, stable? Defined? In the sense that there're clear guidelines on how to attain it that are linked with one's progress.

Comment

Yep. There's a table that lists what happens when you Redeem based on how many Refinements you completed. You can't Redeem with less than four; with four or five, you're a mess when you Redeem (as Satchel described). Starting with six or seven Refinements, you choose whether or not the newly-Redeemed remembers being a Promethean. If not, he remembers a human life to which he can “return” (and he gets free Merits to represent his new life, with each additional Refinement increasing the reward); either way, his memories are incomplete but adequate. At eight or nine Refinements, his memories are complete; at nine Refinements, a Redeemed who has stayed in touch with his Promethean past gets Unseen Sense (Prometheans). And ten Refinements represent the crowning achievement, with the Redeemed getting one chance to change his mind about going mundane or supernatural, and with the supernaturally attuned Redeemed getting to keep one Alembic that he had calcified back when he was a Promethean, but fueling it with Willpower instead of Pyros.

The Redeemed who choose a mortal life are your “not every endgame ends with power” guys; those who choose to remain in touch with the Promethean world are your “lesser template”. And those who Redeemed too early… are a mess.

Comment

Hmmm... wouldn't the Redeemed have too many XP for a beginning character though? I'm imagining you'd probably have accumulated in the neighborhood of a minimum of 15~20 experiences to be able to Redeem with 4 Refinements. If one were to template this minor template up, how could that be reflected?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                            Hmmm... wouldn't the Redeemed have too many XP for a beginning character though? I'm imagining you'd probably have accumulated in the neighborhood of a minimum of 15~20 experiences to be able to Redeem with 4 Refinements. If one were to template this minor template up, how could that be reflected?

That's one of the reasons I don't want to include rules for playing them. They're the end of a chronicle, not the beginning.

Matthew McFarland
                            Writer, developer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                              Why would it be? It's obviously a template you only apply to an existing character, so the only mechanical changes it needs to cover are deviations form the norm. As for creating one from scratch? Just through a bucket full of extra XP at them prior to adding the template.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
                              X