Lifespan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifespan?

Has it ever been said how long the Created can expect to live for? I thought they were functionally immortal but can't find a source for that, and then someone else swears they live for an even hundred years but there's at least two canon characters who break that rule, so I'd love to ask the community on this one. Thanks in advance!

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

It's 100 years even, but they can also come back once, so it could be up to 200 years. Or more for Osirians with the Revivification Bestowment.

Page 170:
    Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Yeah; I really miss the greater flexibility we had with 1e Bestowments, where you didn't have to be an Osiran to acquire Revivication.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Yeah; I really miss the greater flexibility we had with 1e Bestowments, where you didn't have to be an Osiran to acquire Revivication.
        Frankly, there's no reason Bestowments need to be tied to specific Lineages. Lineages are already so mechanically light, seems like there wouldn't be any harm in just making them fully customizable. It's probably what I will do if I ever run Promethean.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Cannot you just buy new Bestowments? Cause I can see limitation to starting ones, but then, in game, it should be just possible to take ones, like Revivication.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
          MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
          MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Unless I overlooked it, no; you can't buy them. You get one at character creation, and that's it.
            I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

The expanded metaphysics of 2e do give us something arguably better: Athanors.

Take a cue from Sanctuaries and make a place that functions like a Dark Souls bonfire — pay a Vitriol Experience to sync your Azoth to it and re-proc your free resurrection in a manner that drags you back into the wilderness, possibly surrounded by savvy Pandorans.

Nothing could go wrong, right?
              Last edited by Satchel; 01-08-2017, 12:33 AM. Reason: Thought of a better price than Willpower dots.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Unless I overlooked it, no; you can't buy them. You get one at character creation, and that's it.
                I hope I'm wrong.
                You're not wrong. Bestowments are granted by the animation process, not by Azoth, hence why you only gain one at character creation.

I think if it makes sense for your character to have been created in a way that grants a Bestowment "belonging" to another Lineage it's perfectly fine to take it. Those listed in the book are just examples so you're not limited by anything other than how thematic it is to your character.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  You're not wrong. Bestowments are granted by the animation process, not by Azoth, hence why you only gain one at character creation.

I think if it makes sense for your character to have been created in a way that grants a Bestowment "belonging" to another Lineage it's perfectly fine to take it. Those listed in the book are just examples so you're not limited by anything other than how thematic it is to your character.
                  Still, it makes a larger imbalance in Linages - now Osirians are 'unkillable', where rest of are just 'harder to kill'. Any idea how non-Osirian can get Revivication?

Comment

I'm not the right person to ask. I opened the book for the first time just so I could post my previous post in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Still, it makes a larger imbalance in Linages - now Osirians are 'unkillable', where rest of are just 'harder to kill'.
                      Loading up on Persistent Conditions related to dying repeatedly is an extra price that doesn't accompany the usual singular free respawn. Your Galateid throngmate isn't going to have to worry about coming back missing chunks of her memory or obsessed with handguns or convinced that there's a Pandoran lurking in every public library.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        Loading up on Persistent Conditions related to dying repeatedly is an extra price that doesn't accompany the usual singular free respawn. Your Galateid throngmate isn't going to have to worry about coming back missing chunks of her memory or obsessed with handguns or convinced that there's a Pandoran lurking in every public library.
                        Now you made me want Revivication more for every Linage.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Frankly, there's no reason Bestowments need to be tied to specific Lineages. Lineages are already so mechanically light, seems like there wouldn't be any harm in just making them fully customizable. It's probably what I will do if I ever run Promethean.
                          Isn't that sort of the point of the Matchless?

Comment

You could also reuse or tweak the 1e idea of going to the Wastes to revitalize your character. Not the most interesting option, but it exists.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
                            - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post
                              Isn't that sort of the point of the Matchless?
                              Yep. If I ran Promethean I would probably run an all-extempore game.

Comment

Working...
                              X