No announcement yet.

Lifespan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got done skimming through Promethean the Created 2e, and in the Extempore section it says that of all Prometheans, their the most likely to be "Born" Immortal. This tells me that while exceptionally rare, any Promethean could technically be born immortal. I could definitely see some of the more high tech Unfleshed being immortal, I mean their already robots, that's not a stretch, and could add to the roleplay. Even if another promethean never achieves new dawn, at least they can share the act of dying with humans. A machine that just keeps going long after everyone else is dead is a recurring theme in sci-fi for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Your3rdShadow View Post
      I just got done skimming through Promethean the Created 2e, and in the Extempore section it says that of all Prometheans, their the most likely to be "Born" Immortal. This tells me that while exceptionally rare, any Promethean could technically be born immortal. I could definitely see some of the more high tech Unfleshed being immortal, I mean their already robots, that's not a stretch, and could add to the roleplay. Even if another promethean never achieves new dawn, at least they can share the act of dying with humans. A machine that just keeps going long after everyone else is dead is a recurring theme in sci-fi for a reason.
      Unless it's been changed from 1E, all Prometheans are functionally immortal, provided they don't die of injury and go to the Wastes to drop off Azoth occasionally. Some Extempore like Bin Gereh have the unique benefit of being just straight-up immortal under mos circumstances, but all Prometheans have a theoretically unlimited lifespan.

It's hypothetically possible that the very first Promethean, made at the dawn of humanity, might still roam the Earth, and I encourage you and anyone else to take that idea and run with it.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I thought the Azoth would "run dry" after around 100 years if the Promethean didn't achieve their New Dawn. Without the force that animates them it shouldn't matter if their physical form have no expiration date.

Edit:
        Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        It's 100 years even, but they can also come back once, so it could be up to 200 years. Or more for Osirians with the Revivification Bestowment.

Page 170:
        Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life.
        Last edited by Tessie; 01-21-2017, 03:43 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
          Unless it's been changed from 1E
          It has, to this:

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          "Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life."
          Ambiguously, an Osirian with Revivication might get the reset every time they come back, and thus be immortal. (Also note that Bestowments can't be learned with experience, or at least aren't listed on the table of experience costs).

An upshot of this is that The Creature may still be walking the Earth, but with only a couple of years left.

Comment

Is there an echo in here?

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I did copy directly from your earlier post. I'm sorry for not quoting you.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                I did copy directly from your earlier post. I'm sorry for not quoting you.
                Oh, no worries! Sorry, I guess my last post might have sounded passive-aggressive. I just thought it was funny that one page later, we're reiterating the same points in response to the same questions.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  Oh, no worries! Sorry, I guess my last post might have sounded passive-aggressive. I just thought it was funny that one page later, we're reiterating the same points in response to the same questions.
                  Well if we're repeating ourselves, I still think it's perfectly feasible for the Unfleshed, at least the ones that were robots first, to be immortal.

Comment

Why do you think so if the lifespan is unrelated to the physical form?

Comment

The Extempore immortality comes from the Bestowment that 1e's sample Extempore had, that he couldn't die so long as he was touching the earth. He was specifically supposed to be like the Wandering Jew, forever roaming the Earth in search of death that does not come. I could see other immortality Bestowments that overcome the 100-year lifespan, so long as they promote a suitable story and still have some means of death (because you can't Redeem until you die).

Comment

Something that i could see working would be to tie the lifespan to the role. So that the lifespan ''reset'' when the promethean change roles.
                        For me that would create a link between the promethean's lifespan and the will to push forward on its journey.

Although keep in mind that i've read the book only once and never played nor st'ed so i'm not exactly the best to suggest changes to try :P

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Switching Refinements is something Prometheans do on a fairly regular basis; tying the age reset to it would effectively wipe out the 100-year limit.

Comment

What about Azoth increases? How often do those happen? Further more, there is an ultimate cap (unless you are losing Azoth dots).
                            Last edited by Vent0; 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                              What about Azoth increases? How often to those happen? Further more, there is an ultimate cap (unless you are losing Azoth dots).
                              Searching the pdf a couple of days ago, I couldn't see any way to reduce Azoth (dampen for a bit, yes, but not permanently reduce).

Comment

EDIT: oops; tangled threads.
                                Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X