Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tessie
    replied
    I thought the Azoth would "run dry" after around 100 years if the Promethean didn't achieve their New Dawn. Without the force that animates them it shouldn't matter if their physical form have no expiration date.

Edit:
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    It's 100 years even, but they can also come back once, so it could be up to 200 years. Or more for Osirians with the Revivification Bestowment.

Page 170:
    Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life.
    Last edited by Tessie; 01-21-2017, 03:43 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due.

Leave a comment:

• malonkey1
    replied
    Originally posted by Your3rdShadow View Post
    I just got done skimming through Promethean the Created 2e, and in the Extempore section it says that of all Prometheans, their the most likely to be "Born" Immortal. This tells me that while exceptionally rare, any Promethean could technically be born immortal. I could definitely see some of the more high tech Unfleshed being immortal, I mean their already robots, that's not a stretch, and could add to the roleplay. Even if another promethean never achieves new dawn, at least they can share the act of dying with humans. A machine that just keeps going long after everyone else is dead is a recurring theme in sci-fi for a reason.
    Unless it's been changed from 1E, all Prometheans are functionally immortal, provided they don't die of injury and go to the Wastes to drop off Azoth occasionally. Some Extempore like Bin Gereh have the unique benefit of being just straight-up immortal under mos circumstances, but all Prometheans have a theoretically unlimited lifespan.

It's hypothetically possible that the very first Promethean, made at the dawn of humanity, might still roam the Earth, and I encourage you and anyone else to take that idea and run with it.

Leave a comment:

• Your3rdShadow
    replied
    I just got done skimming through Promethean the Created 2e, and in the Extempore section it says that of all Prometheans, their the most likely to be "Born" Immortal. This tells me that while exceptionally rare, any Promethean could technically be born immortal. I could definitely see some of the more high tech Unfleshed being immortal, I mean their already robots, that's not a stretch, and could add to the roleplay. Even if another promethean never achieves new dawn, at least they can share the act of dying with humans. A machine that just keeps going long after everyone else is dead is a recurring theme in sci-fi for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post
    Isn't that sort of the point of the Matchless?
    Yep. If I ran Promethean I would probably run an all-extempore game.

Leave a comment:

• Kirby Jerusalem
    replied
    You could also reuse or tweak the 1e idea of going to the Wastes to revitalize your character. Not the most interesting option, but it exists.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Frankly, there's no reason Bestowments need to be tied to specific Lineages. Lineages are already so mechanically light, seems like there wouldn't be any harm in just making them fully customizable. It's probably what I will do if I ever run Promethean.
    Isn't that sort of the point of the Matchless?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Loading up on Persistent Conditions related to dying repeatedly is an extra price that doesn't accompany the usual singular free respawn. Your Galateid throngmate isn't going to have to worry about coming back missing chunks of her memory or obsessed with handguns or convinced that there's a Pandoran lurking in every public library.
    Now you made me want Revivication more for every Linage.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Still, it makes a larger imbalance in Linages - now Osirians are 'unkillable', where rest of are just 'harder to kill'.
    Loading up on Persistent Conditions related to dying repeatedly is an extra price that doesn't accompany the usual singular free respawn. Your Galateid throngmate isn't going to have to worry about coming back missing chunks of her memory or obsessed with handguns or convinced that there's a Pandoran lurking in every public library.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I'm not the right person to ask. I opened the book for the first time just so I could post my previous post in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    You're not wrong. Bestowments are granted by the animation process, not by Azoth, hence why you only gain one at character creation.

I think if it makes sense for your character to have been created in a way that grants a Bestowment "belonging" to another Lineage it's perfectly fine to take it. Those listed in the book are just examples so you're not limited by anything other than how thematic it is to your character.
    Still, it makes a larger imbalance in Linages - now Osirians are 'unkillable', where rest of are just 'harder to kill'. Any idea how non-Osirian can get Revivication?

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Unless I overlooked it, no; you can't buy them. You get one at character creation, and that's it.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    You're not wrong. Bestowments are granted by the animation process, not by Azoth, hence why you only gain one at character creation.

I think if it makes sense for your character to have been created in a way that grants a Bestowment "belonging" to another Lineage it's perfectly fine to take it. Those listed in the book are just examples so you're not limited by anything other than how thematic it is to your character.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Yeah; I really miss the greater flexibility we had with 1e Bestowments, where you didn't have to be an Osiran to acquire Revivication.
    The expanded metaphysics of 2e do give us something arguably better: Athanors.

Take a cue from Sanctuaries and make a place that functions like a Dark Souls bonfire — pay a Vitriol Experience to sync your Azoth to it and re-proc your free resurrection in a manner that drags you back into the wilderness, possibly surrounded by savvy Pandorans.

Nothing could go wrong, right?
    Last edited by Satchel; 01-08-2017, 01:33 AM. Reason: Thought of a better price than Willpower dots.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Unless I overlooked it, no; you can't buy them. You get one at character creation, and that's it.
    I hope I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Cannot you just buy new Bestowments? Cause I can see limitation to starting ones, but then, in game, it should be just possible to take ones, like Revivication.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Yeah; I really miss the greater flexibility we had with 1e Bestowments, where you didn't have to be an Osiran to acquire Revivication.
    Frankly, there's no reason Bestowments need to be tied to specific Lineages. Lineages are already so mechanically light, seems like there wouldn't be any harm in just making them fully customizable. It's probably what I will do if I ever run Promethean.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X